First 234

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

I am in the process of reinventing myself in many ways. My therapist told me this week that my experiences have left me pretty shattered and I can put together whatever pieces I want.

My biggest problem is knowing who and what I want to be. I focused so much on being a father to special needs children that I have lost sense of who I am and what I want to do and be.

I had a decent professional career for awhile in my twenties and thirties, but I gave it up to have something more parent friendly. I enjoyed the money but questioned if I did any good for the world. I was very good at it but unhappy. I could go back and do well and maybe even be happy.

A few years ago, I went back to get another graduate degree, but the field has become extremely poor for job prospects now that I am almost done. I greatly enjoy the field and am extremely good at it, but is it the best use of my talents? I don't know.

Finally, I could go into a related field to both careers, which many have suggested. To do so, I would need to fully engage myself and overcome fears of failure. It would be challenging and rewarding. I just don't know if it would maximize personal happiness. But if I do pursue it, I would have to be willing to put the needs of my wife and children behind my own, something I haven't done in years. However, as my therapist told me, I need to try and maximize myself to fully help my family....they need me to be dynamic and engaged and happy.

Plus, I still need to create myself into the person I want to be outside of career.

Decisions, decisions, decisions....
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

----------------------

“Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984
    Likes labyrinthine liked this post

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Also, I'm becoming bolder in openly defying convention. I bought something that was technically a piece of women's clofhing, but screw it, it looked good on me.

Also, I went to the farmer's market abd got some vegetables, Northern Spy (never heard of that before) apples, and goat cheese.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Oh, I also bought a Yes album on vinyl, bit the cover was turqoise and purple. I liked the song lost better.

failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

lets see

When I left primary school for high school.

Now as an adult there is this slow creeping change happening. Slowly but surely, as I'm trying to figure myself out.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I kind of feel like I've reinvented myself several times already, though at the same time am not sure I've really changed internally all that much. In some ways yes, other ways no.

I think I've definitely gained more confidence over the years, and that just ripples through everything. Also a clearer sense of self. I have changed jobs many times, I have moved across country, and just generally try to continue tweaking my life and changing direction if I know I need to. Sometimes it takes me a long time to figure it out, what my next step is (because I have never been one who has any grand plan or notion of what exactly I'm doing) but I don't think I'm afraid of change or the unknown - even if I can be scared diving into it. Change is actually kind of crucial for me; routine can deaden me.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    I've always been in the arts, but I'm thinking of maybe getting a degree in web technology. That would be a huge change but it could also help market the art related work I've already done. I never considered myself that good at programming, but I also never tried it that much. I never had the big picture and so had to approach it with tunnel vision. Also my goal is to live quietly in the forest so this would increase my ability to work online and remotely.

If anyone else is reinventing their life, feel free to share. This thread is for everyone. ������
    If you're strapped for cash, are good at self-teaching and REALLY want to do it, there's a gabazzilion FREE resources online, from universities, private institutions/websites/ random videos and recorded college classes youtube, etc.
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.