First 1234 Last

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    You're a class act, Kiwi.
    I try.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Permabanned

Any marines on these forums? pretty badass.

MBTI
    INTP

I would also like to thank all veterans on this site for their service on our behalf.

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    FOR THE RECORD!! Just because it is irritating me today.

CELEBRATE Memorial Day. Jeezus H.

Seriously, I keep seeing all of these pictures popping up on Facebook saying ":C Oh! Memorial day is about DEAD SOLDIERS YOU JERK! Stop thinking it is national get out of work and BBQ day! Here's some pictures of army wives crying to get you in the Memorial day mood, and if you're still feeling like you want to BBQ here's a story about the WBC protesting a soldier's funeral."

No one puts on a uniform to make America feel guilty about it if they die. It is perhaps the greatest American tradition for us to celebrate that which fills us with pride, and it is irritating me that people would think of a celebration as anything less than an honorable way to remember those that gave everything.

Of course there will be people who forget what Memorial Day is really about. I don't think those people are dishonoring soldiers by partaking in the festivities anyways.
    I agree. I'm all for partying on Memorial Day.

I used to live in the Washington DC area, and I associate the Memorial Day weekend with bikers taking over the town: Rolling Thunder. For three days, you hear the constant echo of motorcycle engines being revved, and you see bikers in full regalia everywhere. It turns DC into a big noisy growling beast. It's both solemn and festive at the same time.

From Wikipedia:

Rolling Thunder: a United States advocacy group that seeks to bring full accountability for prisoners of war (POWs) and missing in action (MIA) service members of all U.S. wars. The group's first demonstration was in 1988. It was incorporated in 1995, and has more than 90 chapters throughout the US, as well as overseas.

Their main annual event occurs on the Sunday before Memorial Day, in which members make a slow ride on a dedicated, closed off, pre-set route, called Run to the Wall in Washington D.C., referring to the Vietnam Veterans Memorial Wall, also called the Ride for Freedom, which leaves the Pentagon parking lot at noon, crosses the Memorial Bridge, and ends at the Vietnam Veterans Memorial. During the Rolling Thunder weekend, members and supporters spend time at the Thunder Alley (the official vendor site for the event), visit significant areas of Washington D.C., particularly the numerous memorials, and hear speeches given by members, supporters, military officials and politicians.

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by jixmixfix View Post
    Any marines on these forums? pretty badass.
    Former Marine.

Permabanned

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    Former Marine.
    nice.

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    FOR THE RECORD!! Just because it is irritating me today.

CELEBRATE Memorial Day. Jeezus H.

Seriously, I keep seeing all of these pictures popping up on Facebook saying ":C Oh! Memorial day is about DEAD SOLDIERS YOU JERK! Stop thinking it is national get out of work and BBQ day! Here's some pictures of army wives crying to get you in the Memorial day mood, and if you're still feeling like you want to BBQ here's a story about the WBC protesting a soldier's funeral."

No one puts on a uniform to make America feel guilty about it if they die. It is perhaps the greatest American tradition for us to celebrate that which fills us with pride, and it is irritating me that people would think of a celebration as anything less than an honorable way to remember those that gave everything.

Of course there will be people who forget what Memorial Day is really about. I don't think those people are dishonoring soldiers by partaking in the festivities anyways.
    I am a happy-go-lucky person by nature, but, because of this, I'm kind of afraid to be happy today around anyone in the service or any vets. I'm afraid they're gonna be mad at me.
    Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    I agree. I'm all for partying on Memorial Day.

I used to live in the Washington DC area, and I associate the Memorial Day weekend with bikers taking over the town: Rolling Thunder. For three days, you hear the constant echo of motorcycle engines being revved, and you see bikers in full regalia everywhere. It turns DC into a big noisy growling beast. It's both solemn and festive at the same time.
    I'm in California and I've already heard some "Rolling Thunder" this weekend. It literally sounds like thunder.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Don't be afraid!! Honestly, I've seen this habit lately of soldiers taking this weird moral high ground... like what they've done and the amount of respect they get from others has been going to their fat heads lately.

We're swinging to the other side of the pendulum. You don't owe soldiers anything because they didn't do it (shouldn't be anyways if they're not morons) to get praise and glory. We say "we owe it to our soldiers" but no particular soldier has the weight of the army on their shoulders. We're all tiny cogs in a machine. It is the machine we're referring to when we say soldiers, and we've gained our respectful ways from our atrociously childish behavior during Vietnam.

We needed to show soldiers respect so that we'd stop having people scoffing and spitting on them. But seriously, we are the only country I know of that's as respectful to their soldiers as we are. We're not entitled to anything more than a courteous nod in our direction or a respectful thought from others. Anyone expecting anything else than that has their head up their ass.

Be happy and celebrate.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

RDF

I am a happy-go-lucky person by nature, but, because of this, I'm kind of afraid to be happy today around anyone in the service or any vets. I'm afraid they're gonna be mad at me.
    Technically, Veterans Day was for celebrating living vets and was a little more of a party, whereas Memorial Day was for remembering dead vets and was a bit more solemn. In addition to those two days, there were a bunch of other holidays devoted to the military over time: Armistice Day, Pearl Harbor Day, V-Day, Armed Forces Day, etc.

Over time, the military holidays got pared down. Now I think the only one that remains a federal holiday is Memorial Day. So all the other functions kind of got rolled into that one day. On top of that, Memorial Day is also the kick-off of the summer vacation season: This last fact alone makes it one of the biggest party weekends of the year.

Anyway, I agree with Kyuuei. The country has carried a heavy military burden since 9/11/01. The servicemen and servicewomen have paid a price, but I don’t think there’s ever been any doubt about the support of the folks back home. So I don’t think that most of the servicepeople expect the folks back home to walk around in sackcloth and ashes on Memorial Day. If there’s any question of your support, then just buy one of those little American flags and hang it on your car or front door or something. And then go party your ass off.

If any servicepeople give you grief about your attitude on a quasi-military holiday, tell them “Thanks for your service” and offer to buy them a drink. That usually solves any problems.

I'm in California and I've already heard some "Rolling Thunder" this weekend. It literally sounds like thunder.
    Gotta love the bikers!

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx

i almost puked looking that shit

and here you have more realistic view on things instead of that emotional manipulation shit:

"All it is now, is getting out and saving face. We are not leaving because we achieved our goals, we are leaving because we have given up achieving those goals. The only goal now is to look good as we pull out."
    -> make videos like at op
    "Where wisdom reigns, there is no conflict between thinking and feeling."
    — C.G. Jung

Read