User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Default Avatars and perceptions about people

Do you feel like avatars play a role in the idea you have of other members? How so?

Do you notice a change in the responses according to how friendly/sexy/intellectual your avatar is?
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Yes, I very strongly associate people with their avatars, as a picture can bring a message words don't create quite as intensely.

Wouldn't know, I turned 'em off.

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Most obvious is the gender of a member. That will usually be determined by a combination of avatar, name and writing style/chosen subjects. Avatar might actually be the biggest of these for me however, its very easy to take in an avatar and gauge the discursive position its come from.

I think we all judge the personalities of others a little on their avatars as well, even if we attempt not to. In many ways its similar to the way we judge people on how they dress. If they aren't sporty why are they wearing trainers and a poloshirt? If they aren't macabre--or want to be seen as such--why are they dressed like a goth? Perhaps those are bad examples, I'm sure we all have our own interpretations of stereotypes.

To some degree taking avatars as reflective is to trust in the self-knowledge and lack of delusion of the person in question. Or their ability to match their personality or interests with symbols that reflect them effectively to others. This is a good interpretation to me, as it makes me seem not an asshole for making assumptions.
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Do you feel like avatars play a role in the idea you have of other members? How so?
    It gives me that first impression, as @Eruca said. It is usually an indicator of the type of humor, style, aesthetic, mindset the person is in.

Do you notice a change in the responses according to how friendly/sexy/intellectual your avatar is?
    Yes. I get taken more seriously when I have a more 'thoughtful' avatar, and get more 'agreeing with my stance- reps and VMs. Meanwhile, I get teased and played more with when I have something 'naughty' up (VM and reps action becomes a more interactive style than just agreeing with something I said), and also dismissed more easily in discussions on the forum itself, i find.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Yes. I get taken more seriously when I have a more 'thoughtful' avatar, and get more 'agreeing with my stance- reps and VMs. Meanwhile, I get teased and played more with when I have something 'naughty' up (VM and reps action becomes a more interactive style than just agreeing with something I said), and also dismissed more easily in discussions on the forum itself, i find.
    Interesting!

I am very bad at remembering people and their avatars, so I kinda appreciate people who stick with one avatar, or at least have some consistency to their choice of avatars (like a 'theme').
    4w5 sp/sx EII

I choose images I find aesthetically pleasing and viable avatar material, hence they are rather an 'indicator of the type of humor, style, aesthetic, mindset' I am in than a means to reflect 'effectively to others' my 'personality or interests with symbols'. To me, the choice of avatar is an expression of taste more than anything else. It is, therefore, also the way in which I read the avatars of others.

Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I throw people off :P
    C#2-C#5-F#5
    3 octaves, 2 notes and 1 semitone
    Supported range: F#2-F#4-C#5

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

People think I'm blonde because of my avatar but I am brunette.

I don't really pay much attention to avatars here anymore.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I don't really pay much attention to avatars here anymore.
    Look at my avatar! It demands you pay attention to it.
    Go to sleep, iguana.