User Tag List

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Avatars and perceptions about people

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Array Cellmold's Avatar

My current avatar was made by someone else for me. So i'm wearing it because I am both vain and amused!

Normally I use avatars like these ones:

And so on.
    "An upsidedown wire heart
    Being sucked into a periscope
    Still the mind is dull
    Like you need another excuse"

… a theory is primarily a form of insight, i.e. a way of looking
    at the world, and not a form of knowledge of how the world is….
    .. all our different ways of thinking are to be considered as
    different ways of looking at the one reality, each with some
    domain in which it is clear and adequate….
    - David Bohm

Senior Member Array Idealatious's Avatar

I don't like it when people have avatars of (semi-realistic, at least) people. Particularly non-famous people. Because then I want to know, do you look like that? Are you that gender/race/age/etc? Is it an actual photograph of you? Or does it represent who you find attractive? Or just some person/character you like who I don't know about? I have to know.

(uh, babies don't count, since no one on this forum is a baby. Probably.)

Sorry; that doesn't really answer the question. ...I don't know how others view me based on my avatar, but I definitely recall avatars better than usernames and associate them with people...

6w5 sx/sp
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by 21% View Post

I am very bad at remembering people and their avatars, so I kinda appreciate people who stick with one avatar, or at least have some consistency to their choice of avatars (like a 'theme').
    It confuses me terribly when people always change their avatars, especially to things that are completely unrelated. It's worse when they change their name. I can't keep track of who they are. My memory has always been pretty poor in general though I do have a pretty good visual memory, which is why a consistent avatar helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Look at my avatar! It demands you pay attention to it.
    I have always liked your avatar.

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    yes, that's why for the most part i've kept to the same avy-character since my 2nd avy change (while infrequently changing the pic, its always the same guy in it, and might be for awhile).

when others change their avatars it takes awhile to get used to it, but i am more of a "relate to the content" guy anyway, so it can be sort of fun, you're answering a post and suddenly you realize the person you're quoting sounds familiar... "oh wait isn't that?" *check the name* oh right...
    I like yours because it always has the same character. It's not like you are changing the essence of it, so it is easy to identify with you.

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    Unless it's someone I've "known" for a long time, I tend to associate more with avatars than names, and there's almost certainly some semi-conscious interpretation of comments based on avatars, similar to the way most of us would be more agreeable to taking business advice from someone in a suit than someone dressed as a homeless person. An avatar is a much richer first impression than many names and first posts are, and a more (or, at least more general) holistic representation of someone's personality than their opinion on a specific topic. Once someone posts a lot, the avatar doesn't mean as much. But it still matters.

Mane's avatar is a good example. When he joined the forum (or, more appropriately, when I *noticed* he joined the forum), I immediately had a positive impression of his Tyrion avatar. Granted, his comments have certain Tyrion-like qualities, which reinforce the link, but would I have taken as much note of his posts had his avatar been, say, anime (which isn't an interest of mine)? Likely not.
    Exactly. That's pretty much how it works for me.

The end result for me if someone changes their avatar all the time (or doesn't have one) is probably that I don't respond to their posts so much.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

8w9 sx/so
    ILI Ni

Only in the sense that they tend to provide a holistic view of who they are. People always seem to wear avatars that fit their personality.

I was waiting for the day you and I would meet.

Youtuber | The Typologist Blog | Redditor | Message me!

redundant descriptor Array netzealot's Avatar

When I see an avatar, I see how a person is trying to portray themselves. It's a form of advertising.

NTs, for instance, usually choose something dark, bland, or of dry humor. They want to make an intellectual statement that makes them seem deep, different, and their knowledge unobtainable.

NFs like colorful patterns or characters. They want to make an emotional statement and invoke feelings that make them seem different in an interesting way, or powerful.

SPs usually have some kind of implication of action, movement, or the nature of things. They want to appeal as streetwise or practically aware.

SJs usually have the most literal avatars, mostly because I don't think they really care to try and make a big statement about themselves.

Tier 1 Member Array LunaLuminosity's Avatar
    7w6 so/sp

I aim for the flightiness of my avatar to match my own.

Cute is also a fair goal.

Honor Thy Inferior Array Such Irony's Avatar
    5w6 sp/so
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Aleda View Post
    My avatar represents my overwhelming Fe!
    My avatar is more Fe than yours.
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Neutral Good

9w1 so/sx

Yes, but it's not the most influential role, which, for me, would be writing style.

I've always felt [wrongly] like human faces in avatars indicate a friendlier poster, or one more willing/open to communication--like being more present. Or something.

I notice the general "mood" or tone of an avatar and associate that with the demeanor of the poster. I also feel like those who change their avatars often --> more mood variability or more emotional, for whatever [also wrong] reason.

I don't post or interact with members enough to have noticed any pattern in others' responses. Speaking from experience on other forums, attractive women as avatars beget flirtier/more playful responses, but that's hardly surprising. No avatar meant fewer responses. Food avatars made me feel like other people thought I was funnier. Still haven't figured that one out.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    It confuses me terribly when people always change their avatars, especially to things that are completely unrelated. It's worse when they change their name. I can't keep track of who they are. My memory has always been pretty poor in general though I do have a pretty good visual memory, which is why a consistent avatar helps.
    Dear Lord. I have no idea what happens when people switch both their usernames and avatars. I just think it's an entirely new forum member.

I'm the same in that I like when people stick with the same avatar. I know people by them, so it gets a bit confusing when they switch it up. I understand the reasons for doing so (I used to do it), but I'm lucky to have found an avatar that just stuck with me.

What bugs me is when people have no avatar. It's almost like looking at just a shadow of someone and not actually seeing at all what they look like. They unintentionally become forgotten.

3w2 so

I dont like all the boobs avatars. Not that I would be against boobs, but having such an avatar makes the person look dumb in my eyes :/
    Johari / Nohari

"How dreadful!" cried Lord Henry. "I can stand brute force, but brute reason is quite unbearable. There is something unfair about its use. It is hitting below the intellect."
    ~ Oscar Wilde - The picture of Dorian Gray