User Tag List

View Poll Results: would you have passed the marshmallow test?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes - and i am an IxxJ

6 20.69%
  • yes - and i am an ExxJ

1 3.45%
  • yes - and i am an IxxP

11 37.93%
  • yes - and i am an ExxP

6 20.69%
  • no - and i am an IxxJ

0 0%
  • no - and i am an ExxJ

1 3.45%
  • no - and i am an IxxP

3 10.34%
  • no - and i am an ExxP

1 3.45%
First 456

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    the majority of the RL population is SJ - wouldn't you expect them to be more self disciplined?
    Once again, I do not think this test deals with self-discipline or acknowledging orders, but rather how you perceive future or hypothetical outcomes.
    Sensors are supposed to live more in the present and the real world than their intuitive counterparts.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Once again, I do not think this test deals with self-discipline or acknowledging orders, but rather how you perceive future or hypothetical outcomes.
    Sensors are supposed to live more in the present and the real world than their intuitive counterparts.
    see, that is theoretically true for SPs, but SPs are a (albeit large) minority of sensors. it really shouldn't apply to SJs, who don't really live in the present.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    see, that is theoretically true for SPs, but SPs are a (albeit large) minority of sensors. it really shouldn't apply to SJs, who don't really live in the present.
    SJs don't live in the present and SPs don't prefer for things to always be the same. One of the biggest flaws on MBTI-style tests is that it asks people crap like if they prefer novelty or consistency, change or "the same." They're asking people if they have Si, not Se.

Also, "living in the moment" doesn't mean you can't think outside of the present moment. People who can't literally think outside of the present moment are in pain, extremely sexually excited, or mentally retarded.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    You do know that a later study has shown that passing the marshmallow test is correlated with being in stable, consistent, nurturing environment? In other words, kids adapted to the kind of an environment in which delayed gratifications gets delivered do well on the marshmallow test. In an uncertain environment, it's only logical to go for rewards in the present, because tomorrow's promised reward may never come.
    This is interesting, because it's a mentality Keirsey associates with SPs. I know that in high school, I didn't want to go to college, because it seemed like a disciplined waste of my young life. What if I didn't live past 23 (yes I seriously had this thought when I was 17, and gave it extreme validation as a real possibility) and had spent the next five or six years in school and under other people's authority? OH MY GOD.

Not to mention that when I was like 20 or 21 I met some guy who was a client of mine, who went to grad school or something, did what everyone told him to, and said he hated his fucking job.

Great! Let's please everyone else and get in debt, so that we can hate our jobs. I can do that without worrying about other people's wishes and getting in debt.

And people who do this shit - go to grad school, law school, whatever, feel so OBLIGATED to keep their FANCY JOB.

I have never once in my life felt obligated to keep a fancy job, and at the age that people are normally pretty fiscally able to do things like travel or eat at fancy restaurants...guess what? I CAN.

I just don't own property or have a 401k. I'm doubtful that I ever will unless I marry money ...or an SJ for love.

In fact, I told an ISxJ today that I'm not good at managing money, but gee I'm excited about going to a historic inn for my birthday up in Big Sur. He said "well it's always the first step to admit you have a problem."

I will always have these experiences. I have had AN INTERESTING LIFE. I didn't have to wait until I was 60 to pretend to live. I didn't have to wait for retirement, like most people from my social class do, to even fucking live. Usually people only experience half of what I have if they came from families with more money.

People where I come from think it's exciting to stay at the Super 8 in Parkersburg and take advantage of their swimming pool. I mean seriously, wtf.

Of course my parents were both "choose life" sorts of people, and they weren't content with the Super 8 in Parkersburg, either, which is why my mother has told me that I was easily in 7 of the United States before I was even born.

Yes, I eat marshmallows today. I just somehow learned to be smart enough not to eat so many that I vomit.

the formless thing which gives things form!
    Found Forum Haiku Project

Positive Spin | your feedback welcomed | Darker Criticism

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vasilisa View Post
    That article induced a desire in me to prove it wrong! Then I found a bag of toffee's in a draw I hadn't seen before......you win article....you win.

On the other hand. I have the toffee's!
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

ExxP and yes. I have always been a people-pleaser and would have done it to impress the adults.