User Tag List

View Poll Results: would you have passed the marshmallow test?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes - and i am an IxxJ

6 20.69%
  • yes - and i am an ExxJ

1 3.45%
  • yes - and i am an IxxP

11 37.93%
  • yes - and i am an ExxP

6 20.69%
  • no - and i am an IxxJ

0 0%
  • no - and i am an ExxJ

1 3.45%
  • no - and i am an IxxP

3 10.34%
  • no - and i am an ExxP

1 3.45%
First 3456 Last

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I probably would have passed it as a child, but certainly not as an adult.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

As long as it was food, I'd have passed. I always ate candy slowly and would be the last kid with candy after the other kids finished all of theirs.

But I'm the kind of person that buys new shoes and wears them out of the store because I can't wait to put them on. Of course if I could have a second pair of shoes if I waited a couple of days, I could do that. A couple of months might be pushing it.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/so

You do know that a later study has shown that passing the marshmallow test is correlated with being in stable, consistent, nurturing environment? In other words, kids adapted to the kind of an environment in which delayed gratifications gets delivered do well on the marshmallow test. In an uncertain environment, it's only logical to go for rewards in the present, because tomorrow's promised reward may never come.

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post
    For so doms I imagined the motivation to delay would have more to do with pleasing the facilitator or parents if they were nearby. I mean, I know the facilitators in these studies try and do what they can to make the choice seem neutral but up and coming so-first children are going to have some vague understanding of 'I think the correct thing to do here is wait'...but I imagine it may make it slightly more confusing having the motivation one step removed (I think the boy that was really conflicted was so-first. had there been another person in the room I believe he would have been more calm. I know bologna has responded in this thread although I haven't read his response. I'm assuming his response was quite different but still, I could, at least, imagine a little @bologna responding like that boy for some reason).
    For me, personally -- definite 'yes' to the second, likely 'no' to the first and third.

That is, I'd personally be subjected to the whole "what's the right thing to do, here?" thing. Not for the sake of directly pleasing parents, the teacher, or anyone else in the room with me; but perhaps because of the impression that it's overall more pleasurable/valuable/virtuous to exercise willpower that was instilled in me by people like them.

So.. overall, I'm astonished at how well you pegged me

Quote Originally Posted by Seymour View Post
    You do know that a later study has shown that passing the marshmallow test is correlated with being in stable, consistent, nurturing environment? In other words, kids adapted to the kind of an environment in which delayed gratifications gets delivered do well on the marshmallow test. In an uncertain environment, it's only logical to go for rewards in the present, because tomorrow's promised reward may never come.
    Oh snap, this I didn't know. Kids certainly won't learn the lesson that delayed gratification can be worth it if they're.. well, constantly subjected to environments where it isn't. You know that you've got a marshmallow in front of you right now; you don't know whether you'll actually get another if you hold off.

From a rational standpoint, these kids are in the clear. If they believe that it's a given that a future reward will come, then it makes sense to play some risk/reward scenario and probably just come to the conclusion that you should just gobble up the marshmallow you've got.

A marshmallow in the hand is worth two in the bush.. ?
    Last edited by garbage; 05-17-2013 at 09:48 AM. Reason: constant edits

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    For me, personally -- definite 'yes' to the second, likely 'no' to the first and third.

That is, I'd personally be subjected to the whole "what's the right thing to do, here?" thing. Not for the sake of directly pleasing parents, the teacher, or anyone else in the room with me; but perhaps because of the impression that it's overall more pleasurable/valuable/virtuous to exercise willpower that was instilled in me by people like them.

So.. overall, I'm astonished at how well you pegged me
    This is actually really helpful to me bologna - I appreciate it. I score so embarrassingly low in 'so-lastness' that I hardly understand it at all. And while I'm somewhat comfortable drawing from what I know of child development and applying it to the social variants as it pertains to sp & sx ... I am at a bit of a loss to account for how a child's 'scope' becomes so 'wide' (see I'm even grasping for words here) at such a young age. An overall awareness of right and wrong and fairness is a no-brainer ...I think? haha but yes, I did imagine it came from a desire to please what would still be a relatively small social circle and I'm glad to know that may not be the case. Thank you again.

Edit: oh and that little conflicted boy was my favorite...he was really struggling - it was so sweet.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I probably would have passed it. I have good willpower when I put my mind to it.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Society

typoC poll results: 83% say they would have passed.

RL results: 33% actually passed.

something is majorly off people...

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I would have passed. Even as a kid I was an idealist and would always hold off on things in hopes of something better. I often delayed my own gratification for this reason. To actually be promised better would easily be enough to make me wait patiently. I also had trustworthy adults around me who did not intentionally lie or make false promises.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    typoC poll results: 83% say they would have passed.

RL results: 33% actually passed.

something is majorly off people...
    On the contrary, the result doesn't surprise me, and it is probably accurate.

It's the N factor.

Here, intuitive people are clearly dominant. IRL, they are not.
    Intuition is related to the way we perceive future outcomes, and so is your test.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    On the contrary, the result doesn't surprise me, and it is probably accurate.

It's the N factor.

Here, intuitive people are clearly dominant. IRL, they are not.
    Intuition is related to the way we perceive future outcomes, and so is your test.
    the majority of the RL population is SJ - wouldn't you expect them to be more self disciplined?