User Tag List

View Poll Results: would you have passed the marshmallow test?

28. You may not vote on this poll
  • yes - and i am an IxxJ

6 21.43%
  • yes - and i am an ExxJ

1 3.57%
  • yes - and i am an IxxP

10 35.71%
  • yes - and i am an ExxP

6 21.43%
  • no - and i am an IxxJ

0 0%
  • no - and i am an ExxJ

1 3.57%
  • no - and i am an IxxP

3 10.71%
  • no - and i am an ExxP

1 3.57%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: passing the marshmallow test

There's no way in hell I would've passed that test.

My answer's a big fat No.

Good ol' Stanford Marshmallow Experiment. I would have passed with flying colors, as I can't not delay gratification. And when I do, I feel guilty.

In fact, I would have outright stared at that marshmallow while waiting in order to test my willpower and hopefully grow it. I am a masochist.

Whenever something tempts me, to this day I just tell myself -- marshmallow.

It's more difficult, however, when it's not clear that there's a reward at the end.

Yes. I am not big on sweet things. One of the few things I have pretty good will power on is food. If it were something else, I would probably fail...

1w2 so/sp

I learned from the folks at Railtown 1897 State Historic Park that marshmallows taste like crap when you roast them with a coal fire.[/Ne tangent]
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Senior Member Array

Yes, quite easily. I've never been baited with food.

In fact even at age 5-6 I would have tried to up the ante in exchange for something better than an additional marshmallow.

.~ *aĉa virino* ~. Array Totenkindly's Avatar
    549 sx/sp
    LII Ni

As far as Stanford goes, I'd rather kick ass and take names as a 5-year-old in the Prison Experiment, if I had a choice.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

7w6 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    1. would you have passed the marshmallow test as a child?

2. please state your type, or at least your I/E & J/P orientation.
    OMgads Mane - I was just thinking about this as well. Well, somewhat differently as I was considering the role of instinctual variants and, I guess, what is thought of as an 'inability to defer gratification.' <--Although I couldn't figure if that was what this all was really about.

IOW I imagined that sp children would be the ones most likely to 'defer gratification' in the manner in which the concept is defined (I'm assuming those were the children that turned their heads so not to look at the marshmallow. Or picked at it).

For so doms I imagined the motivation to delay would have more to do with pleasing the facilitator or parents if they were nearby. I mean, I know the facilitators in these studies try and do what they can to make the choice seem neutral but up and coming so-first children are going to have some vague understanding of 'I think the correct thing to do here is wait'...but I imagine it may make it slightly more confusing having the motivation one step removed (I think the boy that was really conflicted was so-first. had there been another person in the room I believe he would have been more calm. I know bologna has responded in this thread although I haven't read his response. I'm assuming his response was quite different but still, I could, at least, imagine a little @bologna responding like that boy for some reason).

And sx... are a bit more 'anti-authority' - I govern myself. For some I imagine they don't automatically believe there really will be more until they see more. And for others it may be like 'oh there's more - I just need to figure out how to get it.' <--and sure, that certainly fits the 'inability to''s just that if the child doesn't truly believe what has been told to them can it really count? (is there a true inability?) idk So whatever ha. Thank you for creating this thread.

know ⏩ assist ⏩ survive Array Alaska's Avatar
    4w5 sx/sp
    ESI Fi

I'll admit it: Big. Damn. No.
    4w5 6w7 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

Quote Originally Posted by Starry View Post
    OMgads Mane - I was just thinking about this as well. Well, somewhat differently as I was considering the role of instinctual variants and, I guess, what is thought of as an 'inability to defer gratification.'
    that might have shown more consistency in the results then mine... i expected J's to have a big old "yes" with flying colors with Ps being on the ambivalent side, so far it seems i got it wrong (though the sample is way too small to tell). its also worth pointing out that only 1 in 3 kids passed it in RL, while seemingly the majority of people here belong to those kids.

ENTJ, I'd have passed then and now.

I deal with temptation without much difficulty most of the time, even when I have real difficulty I still generally deal with it rather than give into it.

Mind you there's once or twice in my life that I figure I was probably mistaken to do so.