User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who do you think is the Greatest Star Wars Character?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Revan

2 6.45%
  • Luke Skywalker

1 3.23%
  • Anakin Skywalker

5 16.13%
  • Darth Vader

7 22.58%
  • Obiwan Kenobi

2 6.45%
  • Quigon Jinn

2 6.45%
  • Mace Windu

1 3.23%
  • Yoda

7 22.58%
  • Princess Leia

1 3.23%
  • Han Solo

9 29.03%
  • Jango Fett

1 3.23%
  • Boba Fett

4 12.90%
  • Darth Maul

4 12.90%
  • Padme Amidala

1 3.23%
  • Emperor Palpatine

3 9.68%
  • Lando Calrisian

0 0%
  • Jar Jar Binks

5 16.13%
  • Chebacca

2 6.45%
  • C3PO

2 6.45%
  • R2D2

5 16.13%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 12345 Last

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Boba Fett, Empire Strikes Back era.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    When did they explain that Palpatine was Anakin's father? I totally missed that bit of information.
    It's implied. In an earlier draft of ROTS, this was made more explicit. I can't figure out what it adds to the story though.

The issue with this stuff for me is less that it's a coincidence, and more that it's lazy. Like the story couldn't be interesting enough on it's own so this stuff had to be thrown in with the hopes that it will spice things up. It seems like filler, more than anything else.

Was anyone really wondering why Obi-wan went to Chewbacca before the PT? Did this really need to be explained? I don't think it was a mystery.

People were wondering about stuff like what happened to Luke's mom.( Apparently she lost the will to live! oh. I'd rather not have known that. Incredible waste of an awesome actress.) They weren't wondering about that, and there was really no reason to devote effort to explaining that.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Socionics
    ESI None

I meant to vote for Emperor Palpatine and Boba Fett, but appearantly I didnt correctly check the box for Boba Fett when I voted.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    It's implied. In an earlier draft of ROTS, this was made more explicit. I can't figure out what it adds to the story though. The issue with this stuff for me is less that it's a coincidence, and more that it's lazy. Like the story couldn't be interesting enough on it's own so this stuff had to be thrown in with the hopes that it will spice things up. It seems like filler, more than anything else.
    Maybe that's how I should have stated it. But yes, it's lazy and comes off as a cheap uncreative attempt to make things dramatic in some way.

People were wondering about stuff like what happened to Luke's mom.( Apparently she lost the will to live! oh. I'd rather not have known that. Incredible waste of an awesome actress.) They weren't wondering about that, and there was really no reason to devote effort to explaining that.
    "Anakin! You're breaking my heart!" That's actually a meme in our house, my teenage boys laugh about it.

Poor girl. I'd lose the will to live too, if my lover killed younglings.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

ndovjtjcaqidthi

Anakin and Boba Fett.

Wait, why are there options for Anakin AND Vader??

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

As someone who doesn't really like Star Wars, my vote is for Darth Vader, so long as we can just forget about all the Annakin parts. Darth Vader was the essence of Star Wars, which is to say he was a polished pastiche of every trope Lucas could get his hands on. Darth Vader just happens to be an example of its maximum effectiveness. He is an impressionistic work of evil. James Earl Jones's voice also goes a long way.

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Actually, that's another thing I dislike about the prequels, the way they made everyone related to, or having interacted with, everyone else. It makes what used to seem like a vast universe (which appealed to me Ne) seem really small and incestuous. Leia being Luke's sister was pushing it a little, but Anakin building C-3po, Yoda meeting Chewbacca, the Emperor being Anakin's father. It's too damn much, and most of it serves no purpose except for saying "WHAT A TWIST." Twists are awesome, but you should do something with them.

I'm ok with the way they introduced R2-D2, because he's just a regular droid who happens to be heroic. There's nothing in there about him being secretly programmed by one of the main characters to be awesome. I'm complaining about C-3PO less because I feel like it creates plotholes, and more that it seems cheap and doesn't add anything. Maybe if Darth Vader had personally destroyed 3po in Empire, it would be ironic, but that doesn't happen.
    That is something I hate every time it happens, and in all honesty it bothered me about the recent Star Trek reboot as well. Now, in the case of Star Trek, it only brought together characters that would normally have been together, but it all seemed so compressed, so convenient. Way too much serendipity to believe and too little time for any interesting development. It's not mere coincidence that this problem often comes up for any work that's playing to massive fan expectations. It's a rush to score points with everything the fans know and want to see.

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    I was still young when Episode I came out. I enjoyed the film, and I enjoyed growing up watching the new trilogy. Ill never really understand the hate, but I'll probably always chalk it up to wanton expectation.
    Well, I never liked any of the Star Wars films, and I thought the prequels will worse than the originals, and are total crap as films in general. There's something to be said for the originals, even if I never enjoyed them and believe they are extremely over-rated. There is nothing to be said for the prequels.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    "Anakin! You're breaking my heart!" That's actually a meme in our house, my teenage boys laugh about it.

Poor girl. I'd lose the will to live too, if my lover killed younglings.
    I'd lose the will to live too, if my lover seemed to always be doing a horrible job at acting.

"You're tearing me apart, Lisa!"
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Epiphany

^ I don't think James Earl Jones' voice is menacing enough for Darth Vader. It's deep, sure, but it doesn't sound threatening or evil.

"Your are part of the rebel alliance...and a traitor." *points finger*

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    ^ I don't think James Earl Jones' voice is menacing enough for Darth Vader. It's deep, sure, but it doesn't sound threatening or evil.

"Your are part of the rebel alliance...and a traitor." *points finger*
    Whose voice would you suggest?

... I bet Will Farrell could do it!

PS. WHO THE HELL KEEPS VOTING FOR JAR-JAR???
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

His (James') voice plus the music plus the breathing (before we knew what that was about) plus the knowledge of what he could do and never knowing when he'd be in the mood to aim it at "you" combined to make one hell of a presence.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Whose voice would you suggest?

... I bet Will Farrell could do it!

PS. WHO THE HELL KEEPS VOTING FOR JAR-JAR???
    Good question. I'll have to ponder this more.

Even Alan Rickman would sound more menacing than James Earl Jones.

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    His (James') voice plus the music plus the breathing (before we knew what that was about) plus the knowledge of what he could do and never knowing when he'd be in the mood to aim it at "you" combined to make one hell of a presence.
    Yes, everything else is perfectly villainous, aside from his penis helmet and non-menacing voice.