User Tag List

View Poll Results: Who do you think is the Greatest Star Wars Character?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Revan

2 6.45%
  • Luke Skywalker

1 3.23%
  • Anakin Skywalker

5 16.13%
  • Darth Vader

7 22.58%
  • Obiwan Kenobi

2 6.45%
  • Quigon Jinn

2 6.45%
  • Mace Windu

1 3.23%
  • Yoda

7 22.58%
  • Princess Leia

1 3.23%
  • Han Solo

9 29.03%
  • Jango Fett

1 3.23%
  • Boba Fett

4 12.90%
  • Darth Maul

4 12.90%
  • Padme Amidala

1 3.23%
  • Emperor Palpatine

3 9.68%
  • Lando Calrisian

0 0%
  • Jar Jar Binks

5 16.13%
  • Chebacca

2 6.45%
  • C3PO

2 6.45%
  • R2D2

5 16.13%
Multiple Choice Poll.
First 1234 Last

How can you have Anakin and Darth Vader as separate characters?
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

WALMART

Anakin's father is Emperor Palpatine, or his master before.

After the recent blu-ray rerelease, I noticed in Episode I Anakin's mother looks absolutely befuddled when Qui-Gon asks who the father is. At first I thought, "wow, is Lucas implying it was a virgin birth?"

Fast forward to Episode III: Anakin and Palpatine are discussing the the knowledge that the dark side can bring, Palpatine looks hyper-ominously at Anakin while he says "it even has the power to create life." This is an approximation, but you get the gist.

I was still young when Episode I came out. I enjoyed the film, and I enjoyed growing up watching the new trilogy. Ill never really understand the hate, but I'll probably always chalk it up to wanton expectation.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Actually, that's another thing I dislike about the prequels, the way they made everyone related to, or having interacted with, everyone else. It makes what used to seem like a vast universe (which appealed to me Ne) seem really small and incestuous. Leia being Luke's sister was pushing it a little, but Anakin building C-3po, Yoda meeting Chewbacca, the Emperor being Anakin's father. It's too damn much, and most of it serves no purpose except for saying "WHAT A TWIST." Twists are awesome, but you should do something with them.

I'm ok with the way they introduced R2-D2, because he's just a regular droid who happens to be heroic. There's nothing in there about him being secretly programmed by one of the main characters to be awesome. I'm complaining about C-3PO less because I feel like it creates plotholes, and more that it seems cheap and doesn't add anything. Maybe if Darth Vader had personally destroyed 3po in Empire, it would be ironic, but that doesn't happen.
    [Trump's] rhetoric is not an abuse of power. In the same way that it's also not against the law to do a backflip off of the roof of your house onto your concrete driveway. It's just mind-numbingly stupid and, to say the least, counterproductive. - Bush did 9-11

This is not going to go the way you think....

Visit my Johari:
    http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

I'm tempted to vote Jar Jar just to see him win this poll... And imagine the faces and discouragement of true Star Wars fans after this!
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    Actually, that's another thing I dislike about the prequels, the way they made everyone related to, or having interacted with, everyone else. It makes what used to seem like a vast universe (which appealed to me Ne) seem really small and incestuous. Leia being Luke's sister was pushing it a little, but Anakin building C-3po, Yoda meeting Chewbacca, the Emperor being Anakin's father. It's too damn much, and most of it serves no purpose except for saying "WHAT A TWIST." Twists are awesome, but you should do something with them.
    I agree with that too. The Luke/Leia thing is okay, but all that other crap? How silly.

And the whole thing about "trying to explain the Force scientifically." Jeeez. I just try to block that stupid explanation out of my mind at all possible times.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

WALMART

I'm ok with the way they introduced R2-D2, because he's just a regular droid who happens to be heroic. There's nothing in there about him being secretly programmed by one of the main characters to be awesome. I'm complaining about C-3PO less because I feel like it creates plotholes, and more that it seems cheap and doesn't add anything. Maybe if Darth Vader had personally destroyed 3po in Empire, it would be ironic, but that doesn't happen.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I agree with that too. The Luke/Leia thing is okay, but all that other crap? How silly.

And the whole thing about "trying to explain the Force scientifically." Jeeez. I just try to block that stupid explanation out of my mind at all possible times.

I have wondered the power of microbial (or smaller) colonies. I think it's an interesting enough concept, instead of just reading power levels from some scanner like it's Dragon Ball Z.

A little imagination is all you need to cure the woes y'all are having. The coincidence critique is like harping on my friends for attending my funeral, or helping me move - it only makes sense the characters will persist throughout the course of the narrative.

Stephen King has written a lot about this, y'all should check it out.

Epiphany

When did they explain that Palpatine was Anakin's father? I totally missed that bit of information.

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    Anakin's father is Emperor Palpatine, or his master before.

After the recent blu-ray rerelease, I noticed in Episode I Anakin's mother looks absolutely befuddled when Qui-Gon asks who the father is. At first I thought, "wow, is Lucas implying it was a virgin birth?"

Fast forward to Episode III: Anakin and Palpatine are discussing the the knowledge that the dark side can bring, Palpatine looks hyper-ominously at Anakin while he says "it even has the power to create life." This is an approximation, but you get the gist.

I was still young when Episode I came out. I enjoyed the film, and I enjoyed growing up watching the new trilogy. Ill never really understand the hate, but I'll probably always chalk it up to wanton expectation.
    That was the impression that I got from it. Something about midichlorians.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    I have wondered the power of microbial (or smaller) colonies. I think it's an interesting enough concept, instead of just reading power levels from some scanner like it's Dragon Ball Z.

A little imagination is all you need to cure the woes y'all are having. The coincidence critique is like harping on my friends for attending my funeral, or helping me move - it only makes sense the characters will persist throughout the course of the narrative.

Stephen King has written a lot about this, y'all should check it out.
    Sorry, but that's just bullshit in this situation.

And I've read most of King's works, and they don't really approach the level of the stupidity that is George Lucas' swarming cesspool of creative thought. Coincidences in these circumstances are just a sign of lack of creativity, not some "amazing coincidence."

Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    When did they explain that Palpatine was Anakin's father? I totally missed that bit of information.

I never walked away with that thought, that somehow the Emperor used midicholorian's to impregnate Anakin's mom. If that's what Lucas meant by that line, then my disgust only grows. All these hackneyed connections only reduce the quality of the original Star Wars movie. It's a story composed by a 13-year-old.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Epiphany

^ I've never been a huge star wars fan, though I do like the new trilogy, especially episode III. I understand fans' criticism of Lucas' dialogue, but I don't think his creativity and storytelling abilities are questionable. Star Wars has been a cultural phenomenon for decades and will continue to be for decades to come. He's probably had a greater impact on science fiction than anyone before or after him.

WALMART

Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    It is never explicitly determined, unfortunately. Just little clues, but it's pretty safe to say that's the case.

Yeah, those are them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Sorry, but that's just bullshit in this situation.
    Because the Force should remain some sacred forever-unknown factor in the universe? I think it's kind of romantic, thinking that perhaps the knowledge died with the Jedi Council and Old Ben. Again, it's also a humbling concept that there are things well beyond our scale that are infinitely more powerful than our existence. It's just... whatever. It's not stupid or brilliant, it's just another piece of information for you to toil away with.

And I've read most of King's works, and they don't really approach the level of the stupidity that is George Lucas' swarming cesspool of creative thought. Coincidences in these circumstances are just a sign of lack of creativity, not some "amazing coincidence."
    You clearly have not finished the Dark Tower series. I don't think any single event in the Star Wars universe can be labelled an amazing coincidence - Princess Leia being Luke's sister is perhaps the largest of all, to be honest, but even then you could say their psychic connection influenced their actions to ensure their meeting. Anakin building C-3PO is not a coincidence, it is evidence for why he and R2-D2 are so closely intertwined to the plot throughout the subsequent episodes versus some random droid assembled on coruscant that peddles power couplings. Yoda meeting Chewbacca gives rise to the context of him being a friend to the Jedi Council, and subsequently, part of the duo Obi-wan seeks out to assist with his and Luke's departure from Tatooine.

It's up to the power of the interpreter to give contextual meaning to these happenings, not the author. I guess if your thing isn't critical analysis or something it can appear facile, but that doesn't mean that it is inherently unworthy of thought.