User Tag List

First 3456 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

You want Wonder Woman? Here you go:

I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

Ginkgo

The practical worth of the terms "geek" and "nerd" has been brought into question because it can no longer be considered derogatory or marginalizing. Everyone harbors some geeky shit in their basement- I really want to blame LotR and Star Wars for infiltrating mainstream pop-culture. So, I think the miasma of paranoia surrounding the OP only exists because of an element of insecurity that has nothing to do with comic-con in general. During the couple times I participated in comic-con, what ultimately drew my attention the most was the life-stories of artists I could investigate; despite their hardcore geekiness, few of the successful ones seem to have problems with the wimminz.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ginkgo View Post
    The practical worth of the terms "geek" and "nerd" has been brought into question because it can no longer be considered derogatory or marginalizing. Everyone harbors some geeky shit in their basement- I really want to blame LotR and Star Wars for infiltrating mainstream pop-culture. So, I think the miasma of paranoia surrounding the OP only exists because of an element of insecurity that has nothing to do with comic-con in general. During the couple times I participated in comic-con, what ultimately drew my attention the most was the life-stories of artists I could investigate; despite their hardcore geekiness, few of the successful ones seem to have problems with the wimminz.
    That's because those artists are superficial self-promoting toolbags that tell you what you want to hear.
    It only stands to reason that you would get along so well.

If you wish to be unreasonable, that's your prerogative.

Nonetheless, there are girlies that DO prey on frustrated men. I see it everyday IRL.
    From what I've heard and observed, Comic-Cons are goldmines for cock-teases who get off on that sort of thing.

As Raving Tony said, it is very much pathetic and creates a disruptive atmosphere.

(BTW, Harris is happily married with a daughter)

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    I hope I'm wrong, but I believe that he is a fraud, and I think despite all of his rhetoric about being a champion of the working class, it will turn out to be hollow -- Bernie Sanders on Trump

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I think most subcultures are offended by "posers". Although, I would think that some might be flattered to have comic book groupies, if that is what one could call these particular posers.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I'm sure you're right, fia- but when those "posers" are actually fans, just more casual fans who are not as rabid as the hardcore fans in the subculture, I think that's lame of the hardcore fans. Maybe try getting some sunlight or petting a dog.

Banned
    MBTI
    ISTP

Those hardcore "nerds" don't need to do anything.
    What adult would dress up as a comic character anyway?

This isn't Halloween.

If you have to go so far out of your way to gather cheap, empty attention...
    ...you're pretty much the textbook definition of "pathetic."

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Dressup is fun on the other 364 days a year too. For some people. Not me. But I get it.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Duck_of_Death View Post
    Nonetheless, there are girlies that DO prey on frustrated men. I see it everyday IRL.
    From what I've heard and observed, Comic-Cons are goldmines for cock-teases who get off on that sort of thing.
    As someone who's been to several cons.. No.
    Girls do prey on frustrated men just as much as men prey on women. I see it more in the army than I do anywhere else. Girls taking advantage of young, dumb soldiers, getting married to them, cheating while they're away, and getting a ton of shit in the divorce. It happens all the time. Or they open a ton of credit accounts in the guys name because the guy gave them (understandably) power of attorney. Then the dude's out 100k and has to stay deployed to fix his name. It's a really bad situation.

But comic cons? Just going there is SO much money.. The kind of girls that prey on dudes are the type that get money spent on them. I can see some girls getting a guy to pay their way in, and then flirting with other dudes while at the con. It's happened before to a friend of mine. But overall? It is such a pain in the ass to get the funding, planning, pre-registration, and costume materials together that I doubt the ONLY reason most of those girls are there are to prey on men. That just doesn't make any common sense. If I wanted to prey on a dude, I wouldn't be in the convention wasting hundreds of dollars doing it. It's egotistical and completely inane to feel like you have SO much romantic sway over a girl and you are SO desirable that a girl would ONLY wear a skimpy outfit and spend that time and money to go there just to prey on you.

Do you see how stupid it really sounds? And this is on top of getting public ridicule for having a hobby like costuming in the first place, or being a nerd in the first place, and lord forbid you DONT wear a skimpy outfit when you cosplay... THAT gets even more backlash than all the dudes complaining that they're these poor, unfortunate souls.

Women are not collaborating against guys' penises to force them to somehow fall prey to them. If a dude pays for a girl's drink with the intent to have sex with her and she doesn't put out, that's NOT the girl's fault. If she implies that drinks will get the dude sex and it doesn't, that's definitely the girl being shady.. and it is still in the realm of responsibility of the dude for being tricked in the first place. You're taking a gamble on her word, plain and simple.

If a girl is wearing a skimpy outfit, there are more than one reason for doing so. And a dude's, any dude's, penis is probably not one of them.

As Raving Tony said, it is very much pathetic and creates a disruptive atmosphere.
    Women even being in the environment are disruptive? I remember a nerd land not too long ago where women couldn't even show their faces for fear of being bombarded by desperation. Girls could not even enjoy the things they genuinely had interest in, no matter HOW little-house-on-the-prairie they were dressed, because of the amount of dudes trying to hit on them. And yet, no one really ever remembers details like that. They're clearly not as important as when dudes are sexually frustrated. Women still have problems like this at more academic conventions. This has been and will continue to be a problem for both genders.

This isn't Halloween.

The attention isn't empty though. There is a community in hobbies. People have all sorts of ways to spend their time. I really never have seen a point in golf. What a wasted, useless sport. But look at how much revenue comes out of that. A lot of people used to think video games were worthless garbage. Now they have tournaments in the 100's of thousands of dollars in prize money. You get more out of cosplay than just attention. You get to show affection of things that brought you joy in your life, you get a hobby where you learn several skills (like sewing, which is useful outside of costuming btw) and you get a creative outlet for thinking outside the box (as many animes have gravity defying hair, physically impossible costumes, etc) and problem solving.. there are merits to almost any hobby.

Just because it isn't what 'normal' people do for a hobby does not make it a pathetic attempt at attention.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Epiphany

This isn't Halloween.

Phoenix Jones does not approve of your post.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    You get more out of cosplay than just attention. You get to show affection of things that brought you joy in your life, you get a hobby where you learn several skills (like sewing, which is useful outside of costuming btw) and you get a creative outlet for thinking outside the box (as many animes have gravity defying hair, physically impossible costumes, etc) and problem solving.. there are merits to almost any hobby.

Just because it isn't what 'normal' people do for a hobby does not make it a pathetic attempt at attention.
    Agreed. I don't think it's so much about attention as showing one's appreciation for a particular character, comic book or movie. It's harmless fun. Some sports fans are just as rabid, painting their faces, wearing costumes or memorabilia to support their team. I don't see a difference. It's all about enjoying their passion. Reminds me of this video.