User Tag List

123 Last

WALMART

Default Women, do you feel...

ostracized when the media portrays stereotypical female traits in a negative manner?

For example, I was watching MXC and there is a challenge where you have to run through sets of closed doors - the catch is that about four out of seven per set are sealed shut. You're supposed to run at them full speed for comedic effect so when they don't open you appear to get hurt.

Well, this guy kind of runs into a sealed one half-assed and the commentators call him girly, several times over and in different ways.

Do things like this bother you? What is your experience with the subject?

Holy shit man. When the hell did you make so many posts? Don't mean to derail....Just have nothing to say about the question D:
    Dirt Farmer

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Yes, I'm bothered by comments like that, but not very much, because honestly I feel like it's getting better. I mean, look at the progress we've made in the past fifty years. I think sexism is slowly going away...
    4w5 sp/sx EII

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

It kinda sucks but not enough to get worked up about. I mean, I reserve the right to think someone who consistently says that kind of thing is probably a misogynistic dick, but I'll leave that battle for my children.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I'm averse to most 'girly' things, so I tend to find this irreverently amusing. It's difficult in general to offend me, especially by words alone.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Riva

Even I got pissed when I heard that.

Step into my office. Luv Deluxe's Avatar
    MBTI
    NiSe
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    I'm averse to most 'girly' things, so I tend to find this irreverently amusing. It's difficult in general to offend me, especially by words alone.
    This.

Maybe I'd be upset if I identified with my gender and its stereotypes more than I do.
    AMERICAN TRASH
    Ni > Se > Fe > Ti
    7w6 cp
    so SX it hurts
    Sanguine/Choleric
    Chaotic Good

~ Gryffindor on the streets, Slytherin in the sheets ~

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Let's see, the ones normally used are "cry like a girl", "you're such a girl", "panties in a bunch" (does that one count? I always counted it as guys don't wear panties - well, most don't), "screamed like a girl", and a few others used if a guy is "weak" in any way, like emotionally or physically. "Stupid like a girl" would probably piss me off, but I don't hear it enough to remember hearing that one or one similar to it.

It seems to be the new thing. Does it bother me? Not really. Just seems to be the in thing to say these days. When I hear it, it almost sounds like no thought is given to it, so no conscious attempt to seriously hurt. It's a habit-fad type insult that'll fade eventually. Even I say a couple of them.

Oddly, I think that "panties in a bunch" one bothers me more than the others for some reason.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    Let's see, the ones normally used are "cry like a girl", "you're such a girl", "panties in a bunch" (does that one count? I always counted it as guy's don't wear panties - well, most don't), "screamed like a girl", and a few others used if a guy is "weak" in any way, like emotionally or physically or mentally. It seems to be the new thing. Does it bother me? Not really. Just seems to be the in thing to say these days. When I hear it, it almost sounds like no thought is given to it, so no conscious attempt to seriously hurt. It's a habit-fad type insult that'll fade eventually. Even I say a couple of them.

@bold. When relaying some story where I've overreacted to being startled in some way (spider hitting me in the face)- I tend to say, "I screamed like a girl.. terrible. " And soforth. I say these things to people of either gender when ribbing them, as well. I'm also an equal-opportunity jerk when it comes to using obscenities, such as that versatile "C-word" people --especially women-- seem to get all verklempt over.

Oddly, I think that "panties in a bunch" one bothers me more than the others for some reason.
    ^That phrase doesn't bother me, but the term "panties," in of itself always creeped me out.. no rational reason.
    It's long been stricken from my lexicon. They're UNDERWEAR, dammit.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

@bold. When relaying some story where I've overreacted to being startled in some way (spider hitting me in the face)- I tend to say, "I screamed like a girl.. terrible. " And soforth. I say these things to people of either gender when ribbing them, as well. I'm also an equal-opportunity jerk when it comes to using obscenities, such as that versatile "C-word" people --especially women-- seem to get all verklempt over.
    Oh, yeah. Even when I'm alone. Like... struggling to pick up something. "GOD, I'm such a girl"

That phrase doesn't bother me, but the term "panties," in of itself always creeped me out.. no rational reason.
    It's long been stricken from my lexicon. They're UNDERWEAR, dammit.
    Sometimes I channel my grandmother and "bloomers" slips out.

I thought about it, and I think the reason that one sometimes gets me a bit is when it's used incorrectly. It takes SO MUCH to upset me that by the time I do say something, I've given it a ton of thought, and try to talk rationally about it. And, when it's used in response to that, it feels like a true insult at that moment. A devaluing of what I'm trying to convey that's honestly an issue at that point? I believe that's it.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery