User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Actually, that doesn't usually bother me; I just consider it a turn of phrase. That's just my opinion, though. I could perfectly understand why someone would be offended.

There are other subtle sexists comments/attitudes/behaviours that are a lot worse than that - however they don't tend to be as immediately obvious.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

MBTI
    yupp

im not the stereotypical female and in the past i felt ostracized but now i'm like eh whatever, they're dumb.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

For me too, the intent behind it is more important. Someone who uses those terms to indicate that a guy should truly just 'man-up' more (and in the same light would find it distasteful for a girl to actually do an be good at whatever it is they feel men should be doing) is going to irk me, yes. Used in the way that Lex was saying...not so much.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

I wouldn't say "ostracized" but I think people are dumb sometimes
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I prefer to open doors myself and I used to get annoyed when a man would try to open it for me. I've come to realize that it's usually just a polite gesture and not at all sexist.

I also used to feel that way when a man would see me trying to lift something that looked heavy and he'd offer to help. I may be a female but don't underestimate my physical strength.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Glycerine

Nahh. I find it kinda funny.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Not the phrases, no. I mean, I don't love the stereotypes, but stereotypes are going to exist, and they exist for all groups. Calling a woman "manly" isn't really flattering either. It's especially not bothersome because I think with those phrases it's more about how you're being an inferior person of your gender rather than your gender is inferior, if that makes sense.

It's things like unequal pay that piss me off. Systemic inequality is something that can be changed.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    Let's see, the ones normally used are "cry like a girl", "you're such a girl", "panties in a bunch" (does that one count? I always counted it as guys don't wear panties - well, most don't), "screamed like a girl", and a few others used if a guy is "weak" in any way, like emotionally or physically. "Stupid like a girl" would probably piss me off, but I don't hear it enough to remember hearing that one or one similar to it.

It seems to be the new thing. Does it bother me? Not really. Just seems to be the in thing to say these days. When I hear it, it almost sounds like no thought is given to it, so no conscious attempt to seriously hurt. It's a habit-fad type insult that'll fade eventually. Even I say a couple of them.

Oddly, I think that "panties in a bunch" one bothers me more than the others for some reason.
    Weird -- I suppose I should be offended, but it's like my brain doesn't connect the "... like a girl" insults against guys as reflecting on women at all although one can easily make a case for such. It's almost like it goes through my brain as a slur against the male ego, which seems to fear any sort of castration, rather than applying to women in terms of its aim.

(Kinda like how people can call something "gay" without meaning it as a slur against gays. I've even heard gay people use the term to describe things. *shrug*)

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    For me too, the intent behind it is more important. Someone who uses those terms to indicate that a guy should truly just 'man-up' more (and in the same light would find it distasteful for a girl to actually do an be good at whatever it is they feel men should be doing) is going to irk me, yes. Used in the way that Lex was saying...not so much.
    Yes, "man up" is the other phrase that came to mind. I just never see it as an indictment against women, it's just pushing a man to engage and face the problem he's avoiding... unless of course it's used in the manner you state here. I do scan for intent and blow off stuff that means little. I mean, someone could call someone a "dumb fuck" for doing something rightfully goofy, and if they mean it to degrade/undermine the person, then I'm offended and if they're laughing lightheartedly when they say it, then I think it's funny.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

I think those comments are just stupid. The number of times or somebody has called a man Girly after he is unable to do something that I just finished doing is so crazy to me. It does bother me that female is equities with negative qualities but usually I think people don't even think about how they are using heir words

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Blanche Devereaux on the Golden Girls. Anyone remember that awesome show? She was extremely "feminine" and in one episode was trying to help a guy come to terms with "the new woman" and rules of dating after not being on the dating scene for decades. He didn't know whether to open doors, pull out chairs, help her, wait for her to make the first move, etc. All he knew was how to be that way. His concern being how to treat women in modern society so that they'll know he sees them as equals. To this, she replied, ""I don't want to be treated as your equal. I want to be treated much, much better than you." She didn't mean she thought she was better, either, and that came across beautifully.

Bea Arthur was a feminist too, but a totally different kind, not so "feminine" but definitely all woman. All of them found a way to balance out being a woman and being comfortable with the differences. There's a difference in treating someone as less than and treating someone as different than. Which is why those comments don't bother me.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery