User Tag List

View Poll Results: Do you back down from challenges?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never

0 0%
  • Seldom

1 12.50%
  • Sometimes

3 37.50%
  • Often

3 37.50%
  • Always

1 12.50%

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Default Backing Down from Challenges

Why is it that when I confront and argue with somebody that they often either hide away from it or they choose not to respond? It's like they don't have the guts to stand up to me and accept my challenge! Even on an individual level, people oftentimes lack the tenacity to work and fulfill their life purpose.

I'm wondering if other people have had similar experiences with challenges, whether you are the target or the one engaging the enemy. This could also apply to adversity in general, personal or not, like climbing a mountain.

garbage

In some cases, it's not a matter of "guts." The fact that there's a challenge out there doesn't necessitate that it needs to be addressed. To assume so is just.. well, overly reactionary.

Even in a debate, sometimes there's an impasse, terrible criteria ("I'll believe you if and only if you post a pic of yourself with your hair on fire"), or some other blockade that makes responding further simply not worth it.

Choose your battles.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Pretty much always. I find that people who "challenge" me mostly want to exploit my time with useless debate.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

WALMART

It has taken me a great deal of effort to be able to consciously avoid confrontation.

I can be gung-ho about certain matters I still hold strong opinion about, but for the most part, I've grown a fine ability to let the small things pass.

Let's talk about arguing. When you argue with someone you know who won't budge no matter what you throw at them, it becomes pointless drivel. For these people, I'd rather save the pain of trying to sound calm in explanation than to get blown at the face with someone who isn't calm or being reasonable. It is more effort of trying to explain over less effort of not explaining.

Now, if it was a challenge like, as an example, going to like a "scary" roller-coaster, I'll go and prove them wrong.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Choose your battles.
    Agree with this as well.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I agree with @bologna and @highlander "choose your battles". I know I have X amount of energy, so I make every effort to not waste it and to find the path of least resistance, so if I do have to fight, I can. That is how healthy wild animals think. They don't look for trouble out of boredom, but instead they prefer peace and every chance to rest, so when they have to fight, they are in good shape and ready.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

ndovjtjcaqidthi

It has nothing to do with "backing down". I just don't care.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I back down ever time...then when they turn round, I kick em right in the small of their back. When they fall down I jump on their backs and hammer their heads like a chimpanzee.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.