User Tag List

12 Last

Default The US in TV shows

What shows do you think are the most and least really like life in the US? I'm think all all shows, animated shows like Family Guy, Simpsons and American Dad too.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

this is a difficult question to answer because there are so many subsets of the american population.. but i'm going to say king of the hill, the wire and girls. which are very different from each other.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

What I'm most familiar with would be something like My Name Is Earl, Malcolm in the Middle, and Roseanne only less funny.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

I'm not familiar with American TV shows but I do see all the American movies. And what strikes me is the private wealth and infantile relationships.

We are meant to be dazzled with glamour of private wealth and charmed by the infantile relationships.

But it is bidable infants who make the private wealth possible.

WALMART

King of the Hill is the best stereotypical portrayal of how Americans view "Americans".

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

If shows showed "real life," it would be super boring- so most of these get the "feel" right but you have to subtract all kinds of weird shit that happens to them.

Freaks and Geeks is a lot like my teenage years, just set about 10 years before them.
    Definitely King of the Hill. Don't we all know a Peggy Hill, or a Dale Gribble? And my sister-in-law's dad IS Hank Hill.
    I hear Mad Men is pretty accurate to how things were for a certain kind of person in a certain region, in the 1960s. But I wasn't alive then so I wouldn't know for sure.
    Malcolm in the Middle, to an extent (I know way more moms like that than moms like June Cleaver)

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Freaks and Geeks is a lot like my teenage years, just set about 10 years before them.
    I hear Mad Men is pretty accurate to how things were for a certain kind of person in a certain region, in the 1960s. But I wasn't alive then so I wouldn't know for sure.
    both of these came to mind but I felt weird since I wasn't alive then. my mom loves freaks and geeks because she grew up in suburban Detroit and was only 5 years older than the characters and says it's very true to life for her. plus she gets all the local references.

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    this is a difficult question to answer because there are so many subsets of the american population.. but i'm going to say king of the hill, the wire and girls. which are very different from each other.
    I agree with the TV show girls but it represents more than the US and there's a funny aspect of the experience of the girls resembling that of some men, although the actual male characters who appear in the show do represent a sort of pathetic male archetype which I believe exists too.

Quote Originally Posted by jontherobot View Post
    King of the Hill is the best stereotypical portrayal of how Americans view "Americans".
    I have collections of that series, I only stopped collecting them when it got really difficult to get them and it was no longer screening reasonably here.

I actually like its characterisations, those are good people, might be a bit quirky or odd but they are and there's wisdom in it too.

Like the episode in which Hank talks about how everyone should have a project, his is his lawn and the mower, he recommends to someone else that keeping their pool clean and PH perfect is their's and besides that its hard to control things, especially people, and you shouldnt try because it screws you up. That's all while clearly having views about people too if you know what I mean.

I might deconstruct things too much though.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    I agree with the TV show girls but it represents more than the US and there's a funny aspect of the experience of the girls resembling that of some men, although the actual male characters who appear in the show do represent a sort of pathetic male archetype which I believe exists too.
    good point, I guess it just reminds me of a lot of people I know, it's not a strictly American thing, more a generational one. and going from that just a subset of a generation. still a lot of truth to it though (which is why people are so annoyed by the show, imo).