User Tag List

First 12

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    If shows showed "real life," it would be super boring- so most of these get the "feel" right but you have to subtract all kinds of weird shit that happens to them.

Freaks and Geeks is a lot like my teenage years, just set about 10 years before them.
    Definitely King of the Hill. Don't we all know a Peggy Hill, or a Dale Gribble? And my sister-in-law's dad IS Hank Hill.
    I hear Mad Men is pretty accurate to how things were for a certain kind of person in a certain region, in the 1960s. But I wasn't alive then so I wouldn't know for sure.
    Malcolm in the Middle, to an extent (I know way more moms like that than moms like June Cleaver)
    I like shows which I think are relateable like King of The Hill, although I imagined I'd hate it to begin with as either a stereotype or perpetuating a message (I dont like south park conservatism for instance, didnt like firefly for some of its message).

I've heard that about Mad Men too, I've seen it and cant understand how its so popular, it strikes me as incredibly depressing and the lives of even the uber wealthy marketing people are empty and there's no style or colour, if you know what I mean, its a pretty difficult thing to describe but its a perfect depiction of the kind of alienation which I believe threatens life.

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    good point, I guess it just reminds me of a lot of people I know, it's not a strictly American thing, more a generational one. and going from that just a subset of a generation. still a lot of truth to it though (which is why people are so annoyed by the show, imo).
    I would agree you know, is it reflection or promotion of a particular mindset.

On the other hand its depiction of sex lives is probably as close to the mark as is possible, contrast it with the "high times" of sex and the city for instance, its a big old reality check.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by chana View Post
    good point, I guess it just reminds me of a lot of people I know, it's not a strictly American thing, more a generational one. and going from that just a subset of a generation. still a lot of truth to it though (which is why people are so annoyed by the show, imo).
    Honestly the reason the show bothers me is because I kept seeing these dumb adverts leading up to it plastered around town like "resolutions girls break" and I thought "OMG HOW PRETENTIOUS AND ANNOYING."

But as I've gotten older pretentiousness has started to bother me more and more. I was a huge Tori Amos fan in my teens and early 20s and I still respect her, but she lost me somewhere around that cover album where she dressed up to look like different people.

Another thing that bothers me about Girls is the directors face. I remember seeing Lena Dunham on the cover of a magazine and just instinctively disliking her for some visceral reason, and no it's not her weight, because I love Adele, so it's not like I hate on big ladies who flaunt it.

Something about Lena Dunham just drives me batty.

I did try to watch the show once, and I do know what you mean about the realism, at least in the clip I saw she was making a hair tutorial on You Tube...but overall it's like I presume she's pretentiously trying to be too timely. Like hipster in the bad sense of the word.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    If shows showed "real life," it would be super boring- so most of these get the "feel" right but you have to subtract all kinds of weird shit that happens to them.

Freaks and Geeks is a lot like my teenage years, just set about 10 years before them.
    Definitely King of the Hill. Don't we all know a Peggy Hill, or a Dale Gribble? And my sister-in-law's dad IS Hank Hill.
    I loved the movie Waiting for Guffman. Even though it's very silly it generally rings true. The characters are not the best and brightest, but that's what makes them so relatable and sympathetic. They're like regular people. The fictional Blaine, Missouri is a lot like my dad's hometown in Illinois, which is known for it's theater.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    Honestly the reason the show bothers me is because I kept seeing these dumb adverts leading up to it plastered around town like "resolutions girls break" and I thought "OMG HOW PRETENTIOUS AND ANNOYING."

But as I've gotten older pretentiousness has started to bother me more and more. I was a huge Tori Amos fan in my teens and early 20s and I still respect her, but she lost me somewhere around that cover album where she dressed up to look like different.
    I do agree the show was very overhyped even before it aired, and was marketed in a flawed way, but that's not really representative of the show. I think it's a very self-aware critique of pretentiousness and hipsters. I was annoyed by lena dunham at first too, but I have a lot of respect for her for her self-awareness and willingness to humiliate herself for honesty's sake. like lark was comparing it to SATC, she doesn't try to glamorize anything, she totally puts herself out there, no matter how selfish or entitled or awkward, because it forces people to confront those things in themself.

I don't wanna derail this thread though lol! also I think lena dunham is an NFP e4, so that makes me feel for her.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    bad

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post

But as I've gotten older pretentiousness has started to bother me more and more. I was a huge Tori Amos fan in my teens and early 20s and I still respect her, but she lost me somewhere around that cover album where she dressed up to look like different people.

Another thing that bothers me about Girls is the directors face. I remember seeing Lena Dunham on the cover of a magazine and just instinctively disliking her for some visceral reason, and no it's not her weight, because I love Adele, so it's not like I hate on big ladies who flaunt it.

Something about Lena Dunham just drives me batty.

I did try to watch the show once, and I do know what you mean about the realism, at least in the clip I saw she was making a hair tutorial on You Tube...but overall it's like I presume she's pretentiously trying to be too timely. Like hipster in the bad sense of the word.

KILL ALL ADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't watch TV and TV shows.