User Tag List

12 Last

Society

Default your relationship with your stereotype(s)

whether its race, nationality, gender, sub cultures or even type... you likely meet some characteristics and society is going to throw those at you.

what is your relationship with your various stereotypes? do you avoid them? embrace them? rebel against them? outright deny them?
    are you embarrassed when/if you find yourself fitting to one aspect or another of them? change yourself to fit them?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

I hate stereotyping and I don't accept the argument that there is truth under them. Just because you can find examples of some people who do those behaviors it doesn't negate the fact that other members of the group don't participate in them.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

People make a lot of assumptions about me as a quiet, polite, responsible, woman who usually looks presentable. I go along with it for strangers as long as it helps people leave me alone. When I make friends I try to help understand who I actually am as a person.

People also think I'm really conservative, religious, compliant, sweet, etc. it is usually dismissive, but sometimes I like the dismissal for the sake of privacy.

My actual life has been kinda gritty and dark, and I'm a lot stronger than most people assume.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

I want to be just like my mother, even if she is bat-shit crazy.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

It really depends on which stereotypes they're projecting onto me. If I was a less ethical person I'd take advantage of them more.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Society

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    It really depends on which stereotypes they're projecting onto me. If I was a less ethical person I'd take advantage of them more.
    the OP question sort of leaves that part dependent upon the poster's specific stereotypes... or that was the intention anyway.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5 sx

They're worthless. I don't care if some have an ounce of truth to them; getting to know an individual properly requires getting to know them on an individual basis. I've encountered people with the view that stereotypes can be useful as occasionally-fallible shortcuts to understanding others, but I don't think that it has much substance. The people I respect the most and am closest to are usually those who are diligent about un-learning stereotypes and other useless social constructs.

Sometimes I use them to my benefit, though. No one expects the quiet, mild-mannered girl to do certain things, so it's always fun to go against those expectations! It's not completely satisfying because it rarely opens anyone's eyes as to who you actually are, but I don't usually care. I would rather keep some people at a distance than expend all that energy trying to make myself known.

I hardly ever come into contact with stereotypes related to my race because I live in such a racially homogeneous area. 100% of the adults I see on a regular basis are white. I know maybe four of other races by name. It sucks, because when I do come into contact with those of other races, I can't help but feel somewhat self-conscious about how I'm acting [towards them].

Same goes for nationality, since I've only ever been to Canada. I feel bad about stereotypes of Americans, but I don't think I would feel discriminated against if I went to another country. If people didn't like me, I'd be more likely to assume that it had something to do with my poor understanding of their culture than their prejudices towards mine.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    whether its race, nationality, gender, sub cultures or even type... you likely meet some characteristics and society is going to throw those at you.

what is your relationship with your various stereotypes? do you avoid them? embrace them? rebel against them? outright deny them?
    are you embarrassed when/if you find yourself fitting to one aspect or another of them? change yourself to fit them?
    I generally ignore stereotypes, unless people expect me to fit into them, especially in ways I do not. I will probably match some of the characteristics, but not match others. Either way, I feel no need to adjust. Like others, if people assume I fit a stereotype and I don't, I might let it go for privacy, or to accomplish some goal. Other times, I will question their assumption very directly. It is always fun to do a combination: lead them down the garden path of their incorrect assumption, then pull the rug out from under them with the truth.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

the OP question sort of leaves that part dependent upon the poster's specific stereotypes... or that was the intention anyway.
    If they benefit me, I like them. If they don't, I don't like them.

Like, I have an honest face and I look like a somewhat uptight soccer mom unless I'm really underdressed. That means I sometimes get a certain level of deference and an assumption that I couldn't possibly be up to no good. That's pretty useful if I get pulled over by a cop. It can be a pain when people treat me like I'm stuck up or that I don't have a sense of humor, though.

I'm also kind of ditzy and sometimes that means people think I'm dumber than I am. That can be annoying, but it can also be useful if it makes people do stuff to help me when I want help.

I'm a member of the lower class, though I try not to look that way. It's almost never an advantage to be perceived as poor. A lot of people assume that you are stupid or lazy or on drugs or promiscuous or that you steal, if they think you're poor. I don't like that very much.

I'm a bit mousy and some people thinks that means I'm easily intimidated. I don't like it when people try to intimidate me.

I really like to read, so I'm fairly articulate but I've spend a good portion of my life around less educated people. So I can adapt to a fairly broad spectrum of informal social settings and that is handy because it lets me wear the most advantageous stereotypes for a given situation a lot of times.

Is that closer to what you're looking for?
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Society

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Is that closer to what you're looking for?
    yea - if those are the stereotypes that are commonly applied to you - that works. was expecting something about you being irish but i am not sure if you're born in ireland bringing with you the accent and everything or if its just descent.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I think I very obviously subvert the loud, colorful hispanic bombshell stereotype. I also think I piss racists off less because I don't speak in spanish with my relatives when I'm waiting in line somewhere.

I don't find myself embarrassed when I find myself expressing what I find positive stereotypical characteristics of the latino community, like hospitality and abrasiveness (in a good way). The stereotypical negative attributes are ones I don't usually express, such as a perceived lack of education, inability to understand english, unwillingness to assimilate etc. (Yeah, sorry, let's be real. This is what some people think when they hear latino.) That being said, I think most, if not all, of these stereotypes are largely augmented by racism. Also, complete and total bullshit.

The only exception is the fact that I do think that the latino culture tends to be less inhibited, more outgoing. Not significantly, but more so, and purely for cultural reasons.

I think any genuine shame that comes from matching a particular stereotype is a product of others being racist/sexist/whatever-you-can-think-of-ist, and not for any legitimate reason. Fuck those guys.