User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: your relationship with your stereotype(s)

INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    yea - if those are the stereotypes that are commonly applied to you - that works. was expecting something about you being irish but i am not sure if you're born in ireland bringing with you the accent and everything or if its just descent.
    I'm American mutt. What little I know of my ancestry is Scots-Irish, English, German, and Swedish. I think there is probably some Irish and Native American. I *think* I'm at most recent, a fourth or fifth generation American. So ethnically, I'm fairly typical for the the US midwest where I was born and have lived most of my life. My accent has only caused me problems when I lived in Kentucky, which is weird because it's just the next state south. But a damn Yankee is a damn Yankee, I guess.

In my area, you do have a little bit of a difference between urban and rural accents and speech patterns. I was raised speaking decent grammar and with the less pronounced accent, but I can fake some of the bad grammar that is typical for my area and a little bit of the rural accent without much effort in order to not sound too stuck up. It's hard to ditch the vocabulary I've picked up from reading, though. So it only works for short, casual conversations.

One other stereotype I sometimes run up against is religion, because I'm an Evangelical Christian and Evangelical Christians have a mostly-deserved reputation for being obnoxious and ignorant. I don't go out of my way to tell people I'm Evangelical and I try to be respectful and considerate to people, so I only get crap in an indirect way most of the time. It sometimes bothers me, but I can see where folks are coming from, so that is one stereotype I make an effort to defy.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by Ism View Post
    I think any genuine shame that comes from matching a particular stereotype is a product of others being racist/sexist/whatever-you-can-think-of-ist, and not for any legitimate reason. Fuck those guys.
    this is interesting - i find myself embarrassed by little things that others notice but i don't which are neither positive or negative:

a small simple example is talking with my hands - which is very much part of the Israeli stereotype - i find myself doing that all the time regardless of what cultural area i am in. or reverting to hebrew/yiddish when i curse.

Honor Thy Inferior Array Such Irony's Avatar
    5w6 sp/so
    LII Ne

I'll go with my personality type: INTP and 5w6.

Both are stereotyped as hyperintellectual, socially awkward, insensitive, emotionless robots. How do I compare to the stereotypes? Intelligent yes, but I'm not a super genius. I'm interested in intellectual things, yes, but at the same time, I'm not totally dismissive of less intellectual things. Socially awkward? Kind of, especially at first with people. Insensitive, no. I could see how I could get misjudged as being such since I can place more emphasis on logic than emotion and I can be overly absorbed in my own thoughts sometimes. Emotionless robot? Hell no. Again, on the surface, people could see me that way because I'm mostly in my head and not that outwardly expressive unless I'm socially comfortable with someone.
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Neutral Good