User Tag List

First 345

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I think I understand, but an isosceles triangle? Wouldn't it be an equilateral?
    Quite right. I brain-farted. It's an equilateral triangle where each side is 5 miles.

I still don't entirely grasp how East and West function at the poles either. Do they become curved along the lines of latitude or is there a sort of 'True East/West' perpendicular to the Earth's axis? I assume it's the former, so why would a triangle apply at all?

Goddamn it, I need diagrams for this shit. I'm a visual thinker.
    Lol. If you're standing on the North Pole, there's no east or west. There's just south.

--The guy's starting point is 5 miles away from the North Pole. Since everything on Earth is south of the North Pole, that means he is located 5 miles south of the North Pole.

--The first leg of the triangle: He walks 5 miles east, which still leaves him 5 miles south of the North Pole. (Basically, on the first leg of the triangle he is circling around the North Pole at a distance of 5 miles.)

--The second leg of the triangle: Then he walks 5 miles north, which puts him directly on the Pole.

--The third leg of the triangle: Then he walks 5 miles back to his starting point.

Trace it in pencil on a globe or a large ball or something.

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Acknowledging oldness isn't self-deprecating unless you think old is bad. Which is a common American concept. I'm kinda old but it's cool. Old people are awesome. And I've heard enough of these joke/puzzle thingies in my old life that I get them immediately now.
    In my case, I'm deliberately being self-deprecating.

The age issue comes up. No reason to hide it; I post about personal experiences and that kind of thing, and my age is a factor.

In the process, I deliberately and consciously try to self-deprecate on the age issue about the same amount that I use the age issue to my advantage. I once read an article about healthy self-importance vs unhealthy narcissism. They said one difference between the two was that in public platforms the former would display a degree of self-deprecation whereas the latter would self-inflate. For example, the latter would talk about accomplishments and the difficulties he has overcome.

So it’s not humility on my part as such. My self-deprecation is just a social device or social skill, deliberately and consciously applied. I want to be able to talk about my age openly and use it as a factor in my posts and communications with others, but I don’t want to appear puffed-up and stodgy about it in the process.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Just start all your posts with "In my day..."

RDF

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Just start all your posts with "In my day..."
    Back when God was still just a corporal...

Banned
    MBTI
    xNxJ
    Enneagram
    5 sx

The answer was located square in the middle of your question to put it cheap, much like the physical location that it depicts.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by FineLine View Post
    Quite right. I brain-farted. It's an equilateral triangle where each side is 5 miles.
    Thought so. Perhaps one shouldn't say "duh", in case one makes such mistakes, hm?

Lol. If you're standing on the North Pole, there's no east or west. There's just south.
    I gathered that much. Sorry, I meant when very close the poles; where travelling east or west would be in a obvious arc, not a 'straight' line as it would ordinarily be (although of course unless you're at the equator it will always be a slight arc).

And I wouldn't scoff. Apparently I was right to question it, because there is both a latitudinal east/west and a sort of 'true' east/west. I googled it and apparently the Prime Meridian is used to define a relative east and west as well, which comes in handy when asking for directions in Antarctica (or near the North pole for that matter). Here's it explained:

http://tywkiwdbi.blogspot.co.nz/2011...outh-pole.html

--The guy's starting point is 5 miles away from the North Pole. Since everything on Earth is south of the North Pole, that means he is located 5 miles south of the North Pole.

--The first leg of the triangle: He walks 5 miles east, which still leaves him 5 miles south of the North Pole. (Basically, on the first leg of the triangle he is circling around the North Pole at a distance of 5 miles.)

--The second leg of the triangle: Then he walks 5 miles north, which puts him directly on the Pole.

--The third leg of the triangle: Then he walks 5 miles back to his starting point.

Trace it in pencil on a globe or a large ball or something.
    This is what I thought you meant.

(it's still not a proper triangle, though )
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte