First 123 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Because they look menacing.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    468 sx/sp
    Socionics
    EII None

I'm afraid of every bug except spiders.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Stanton Moore View Post
    On the other hand: If I walk into a field with a bull in it, it can create a fear response. this is due to a perception that conditions may be dangerous, but not by an instinct specific to bulls; there is probably no hard-wired phobia about this. So maybe the reaction to spiders or other animals just seems universal because the body is primed to feel fear at something that could be dangerous, whether or not it actually is.
    Maybe the experience of seeing a creature that is so different in morphology is enough to set this in motion, whether you are a marmet or a human...
    That's interesting. O: To add to your point, I'm not so tense when I see a spider outside. I usually just completely avoid the general area I saw it in and feel at ease and safe. So maybe the reason I get more tense with them inside is that something completely different in anatomy and potentially dangerous has infiltrated my natural living environment which makes me feel uneasy? And maybe it's also the fact that they can often lurk around undetected.

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    Because they look menacing.
    So what makes us think that they look menacing? Is it something biological or could there be other explanations?
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

morose bourgeoisie
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Chanaynay View Post
    That's interesting. O: To add to your point, I'm not so tense when I see a spider outside. I usually just completely avoid the general area I saw it in and feel at ease and safe. So maybe the reason I get more tense with them inside is that something completely different in anatomy and potentially dangerous has infiltrated my natural living environment which makes me feel uneasy? And maybe it's also the fact that they can often lurk around undetected.

So what makes us think that they look menacing? Is it something biological or could there be other explanations?
    I think his/her point is the same as mine: they look so alien to us that they inspire anxiety. Note that both snakes and insects look very unlike us. This is related to what you said about the indoor/outdoor factor. No DNA required.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

There are certain physical characteristics in the animal kingdom that warn us of danger of poisoning, things such as bright neon colored animals and arachnid shapes (scorpions are also deadly arachnids).

While all spiders aren't dangerous to humans, even the "daddy long legs" my grandfather and I used laugh about as a child are an extremely poisonous animal who simply doesn't have the ability to bite humans and do any damage.

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

I killed a flea once and put it under my microscope to get a good look at its corpse as, frankly, it hurt when he bit me, and I enjoyed his death and wanted to wallow in it. However, all I learned was NEVER EVER EVER DO THAT EVER!

Spiders don't frighten me unless it's those spiders that turn and look at you first. You know the ones, they pause, turn, and just... look at you, and it's impossible not to know that premeditated murder is on their minds.

I imagine the fear comes from knowing a thing is capable of killing you, but small enough to crawl under your covers. The Black Plague was no joke.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    Spiders don't frighten me unless it's those spiders that turn and look at you first. You know the ones, they pause, turn, and just... look at you, and it's impossible not to know that premeditated murder is on their minds.
    7w6 - 2w3 - 8w7 sx/so

MBTI
    ENTP

That's scarier than any spider.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ

Cerebral Artery

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Note that both snakes and spiders, two of the most common animal phobias, "move" in ways that are not human. The alien nature of their locomotion I'm sure also has something to do with it and how it registers on the more primitive instinctual and emotional centers of the brain.
    I think the fear and revulsion of cockroaches is probably the most blatant example of that sort of thing, though I suppose an instinctive association of cockroaches with unhygienic environments might also explain it.

A year ago, I was a passenger in a cockroach infested car, spending two hours constantly looking for and killing the damn things (the body count was well into the double digits). Somewhat pathetically, that was a genuinely traumatizing experience for me, and I was actually shaking when I finally exited the car.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by lowtech redneck View Post
    A year ago, I was a passenger in a cockroach infested car, spending two hours constantly looking for and killing the damn things (the body count was well into the double digits). Somewhat pathetically, that was a genuinely traumatizing experience for me, and I was actually shaking when I finally exited the car.
    Dude. I could have lived forever without ever hearing that nightmare of a story.

Good point though. Biggest fear in life is naturally death ergo we fear anything that can cause it or looks like something that could. Much like how fake patterns of poisonous insects, snakes, etc. on nonpoisonous insects, snakes, etc. is employed and works so well in the animal kingdom.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ

Cerebral Artery