First 12

MBTI
    XXFP

Ha so today I got a really excited reaction from this guy: "NICE CANE!"

And he was really curious about what it was made of, "Is it lexan?"

"I think it's acylic."

"No, can't be, acrylic would crack..."

"Yeah, it must be a polycarbonate then..."

I found it sort of odd he was so interested but unoffensive.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

your resident asshole

Try not to be offended. It's simple human curiosity (often with a tiny bit of pity throw in), as others have said. If everyone was walking about with a cane, I don't think there would be the need for such questions. But you break this norm and people just want to know what's up. Consider the same thing if someone was wearing a very bright and unusual outfit, or only had one arm. Our attention is always drawn to that which does not fit the norm.

But I understand why you might not want people coming up to you. It must be irritating to have to explain your story over again and sometimes people just need personal space. Not everyone likes attracting attention, but it can't be helped.

Also I must know what this cane looks like that makes it so interesting. Pics?

MBTI
    yupp

where the injury is coming from: probably from something you did to affected area of the body. why they are asking, because of curiousity,nosiness, or hoping something hilarious happened because they need a laugh often all three
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Curiosity, sympathy, or both.

While I'm not always shy about sharing personal stories, I usually try to think of a 2-3 word answer that I can spout off whenever I don't feel like talking about it. It satisfies curiosity with minimal effort and with minimal further discussion; and often it (intentionally) signals "--and that's all the explanation you're gonna get."
    "WHUT HAPPENED???!?!"

"I injured it a few weeks ago."
    to
    "I broke it."
    to
    "It broke"
    to
    "Stuff"
    to
    *grunt*
    to

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    ^ I think that is part of it. There is a natural concern about injuries, even for strangers..

And there is a natural curiosity. I am forever a slave to being curious, even when parts of me are scared/terrified/apathetic to the situation.. If I saw a young guy walking with a cane, and I didn't ask, I'd make up some elaborate story in my head that makes the situation that probably actually happened seem..

But ... Every so often, you're rewarded for being curious.. because sometimes you get very amazing, interesting stories from the person. Stories of love, and adventure, and excitement.. the things you read about as a kid--they're living it! and showing living proof of it! It's pretty awesome to find a story like that--and since it usually doesn't hurt to ask, I tend to ask.
    I hate you. Nah not really. Just a little.

I think the quest for human knowledge is a good thing, and so is theorizing, but after a point I wonder why don't people just...not fill in the blank. Accept not knowing.

But yeah, I don't have a good story. I've taken to making up elaborate stories to screw with people.

Let's just say it involved a rope swing, the need to move said rope swing on the branch, wind, and a carefully parked truck. Except well...it wasn't exactly my truck. It was just some random guys truck that pulled up, but seize the day, right?

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Try not to be offended. It's simple human curiosity (often with a tiny bit of pity throw in), as others have said. If everyone was walking about with a cane, I don't think there would be the need for such questions. But you break this norm and people just want to know what's up. Consider the same thing if someone was wearing a very bright and unusual outfit, or only had one arm. Our attention is always drawn to that which does not fit the norm.

But I understand why you might not want people coming up to you. It must be irritating to have to explain your story over again and sometimes people just need personal space. Not everyone likes attracting attention, but it can't be helped.

Also I must know what this cane looks like that makes it so interesting. Pics?
    It's just a clear cane. I found it in the back of a truck I was unloading and just took it - estate sale trash. I thought it was funny cause I don't really think much of it. I just took it cause it was available.

I suppose I do like it more than a wood cane, but I'm fairly indifferent.

I rather it have a different handle.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Glycerine

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    I'd imagine most people would respond with "I'm just trying to be nice", except that I find it extremely irritating.

I can understand the desire to bond...but randomly asking people to recount the details of how they injured themselves seems like an especially obnoxious way to do that. Why?

Because you're asking me to tell you a story. You, a stranger, when I'm doing something else, a story.

Now if you made a comment like "that looks like it hurts" well, depending on how you said it, I'd find it neutral or amusing or still obnoxiously pitying (most common), but at least all that I have to do is shrug or say "yeah" or something like that. I don't mind unsolicited advice (quick and plainly delivered) for the same reason - it's take it or leave it.

But asking me to tell you a story, much less a story about something that was potentially traumatic? Now I'm either left with 1) ignore you 2) tell you to go away or 3) go along and tell you something and then I'm at your whim. Now I'm forced to expend effort to explain myself, without having any reason to believe it's going to be of any benefit to me at all, and in all likelihood it's going to open me up to pitying which I don't want in the first place.

People I know, I'm ok with that, random person while I'm doing something else? Frustrating and tiring.
    +1

It's really nobody's business if you don't want to tell them. They aren't entitled to know anything about you anyways. A lot of people can be just plain obnoxious... while some are just curious. The good news is that it is temporary for you.

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    It's just a clear cane. I found it in the back of a truck I was unloading and just took it - estate sale trash. I thought it was funny cause I don't really think much of it. I just took it cause it was available.

I suppose I do like it more than a wood cane, but I'm fairly indifferent.

I rather it have a different handle.
    A clear cane? Hellooo, fancypants! I've never seen one of those before.