User Tag List

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Default The life worth talking about

Or blogging or writing about, it could be that I'm just getting older but I think that life is becoming more and more mundane, anyone else experiencing that or have any hints on how to make life more interesting?

I know that in part I'm limited by a number of ongoing/longer term efforts which I cant abandon, like regular fitness work outs at home or in the gym in order to improve my health. Although that all feels very, very routine by now too.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Give your time to others, one way or another.

Adopt an inquiry-based interaction style.

stillness

thinking of you

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Well, if you're talking about what you see other people facebooking or blogging about their life seeming much more exciting than yours, I think it's safe to say that what you are seeing is the rose-coloured glasses version. It's all of the most dramatic highs and lows with the mundane normal things filtered out.

On the other hand, if you are thinking about how you can expand your life to include more interesting people or pursuits, that is a different thing.

What is it that you are hoping to experience?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    Or blogging or writing about, it could be that I'm just getting older but I think that life is becoming more and more mundane, anyone else experiencing that or have any hints on how to make life more interesting?
    Keep finding new things to learn. Set new goals for yourself, large or small, and watch your progress toward them. Find some way to impact the world around you, and do it. I refuse to let my life become mundane - I would probably be ready for the asylum otherwise - and so far, this has not been difficult.

Edit: I realized my life is actually the opposite. As soon as I get used to something, or get a project nearly finished, or a new routine stable, something new appears on the horizon.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

garbage

Post things beyond "ate a pork chop for dinner and had nice applesauce too!" and you'll be ahead of 95% of most bloggers. Think about stuff beyond that, and you'll have put more thought into your life than 95% of people.

To get past another 4.9%, tie what you're doing to some broader meaning. It's always possible to squeeze some lessons or wisdom out of even the most mundane experiences; that often starts with asking questions. For example -- How did you decide to start a health kick? How did the process of starting to work out and maintain a healthy routine help you in other areas of your life? What lessons could you see that are worth passing on to others? Have you yourself truly internalized those lessons?

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    Well, if you're talking about what you see other people facebooking or blogging about their life seeming much more exciting than yours, I think it's safe to say that what you are seeing is the rose-coloured glasses version. It's all of the most dramatic highs and lows with the mundane normal things filtered out.

On the other hand, if you are thinking about how you can expand your life to include more interesting people or pursuits, that is a different thing.

What is it that you are hoping to experience?
    I absolutely know what you're talking about, I dont do that though.

I remember hearing about one of the main radio one DJs saying about their depression that they'd come to believe everyone was having this great time and they were missing out and they had become depressed when they realised that they were in actual fact all having much the same experience.

MBTI
    INFJ

I once designed a blogging database that worked in KSH script (lots of AWK and SED and other fun things in it)
    What I wrote on the blog was my progress in developing the blog program and refining its features without the use of PERL, PHP or MySQL. Adding the ability to edit my posts and even invented something similar to BBcode for it.

I finished it and had nothing left to write, so I started making another one.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Its not specific to blogging, I was thinking about it in terms of journalling, which I like to do, and when people ask me how my day went, a lot of the time I've found there's not much to report. When all the minor gripes of the day are dealt with there's nothing at all really.

MBTI
    ESTP

Know what you mean, this past week or so, I've had to remind myself to just enjoy the things I can do now and quit holding on to the exhilaration of learning the ropes so tightly to tune out the duller aspects of life, I've barely watched TV lately because it just seems like another metaphor of sorts for things that get off to an awesome start, then as soon as the hype dies down and the magic wears off, people wonder if it actually was that great, or mediocre at best then stop talking much about them. But on the plus side, it made me realize I needed to look at my own ideas a little differently and that it was ok to do a few things here and there that were something to look back on and laugh like "Oh hey there's that thing remember this I forgot that even existed!" later but to stop and think a little more on some things if they really seemed worthwhile or like something that seemed like a good idea at the time, but might sound kind of senseless later.