User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Not at all. But I also don't buy beyond my means which ensures that I can cover any necessity or strong want, at any time. Luckily, I don't have many wants.

MBTI
    XXFP

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    @Bamboo, you're an ISTP, right? Because that sounds like Ti dominance at work.

Yeah, I took that test someone posted in another thread and sure enough Ti was "analyze every option."

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Make that an INTP and an INTJ, and you're back to "GOOD" (even if both of us are nerds).

When I buy something, especially something important, I do want to be sure I am making the best choice, but that is why I research what I am buying, for specifications, suppliers, and cost. When I finally buy, I have reasonable confidence that I am making, if not the best choice, then at least a very good one which I will not regret. I have rarely had a purchase turn out otherwise. As for cost, I don't mind paying good money for something worthwhile. I resent paying more than I have to, though. By that I mean that I don't want to find it elsewhere, or next week, for 30% less. I understand the price of some things does go down over time, and account for that in making purchasing decisions.
    It's true, analysis is good, but I think I've been overanalyzing my purchases a bit...it's taken me like 3 days to figure this stuff out, but I really resent paying more in shipping costs to find I'll need something else later.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Sometimes I like something and can afford it but I don't "$50 like it" (or $100 or whatever). It can feel like a waste to spend more on something than you value or need it. I've spent months going back to a music shop over and over, looking at a CD I want, but not buying it because it costs maybe $5 more than I want to spend on it. It's really stupid. I've never actually bought a car or a mobile; I just use hand-me-downs from other people. I'd really like a nice fancy car or phone but I don't want it bad enough to spend money on that.

@Bamboo do you buy car parts and tools for simply practical reasons (ie. you need them for something particular) or because you enjoy using them?
    I buy them for both practical reasons and enjoyment.

I also buy tools that are of a higher quality standard than I really need, a lot of the time. I'm not completely averse to cheap tools that do the job, but given the chance I rather have something well made.

I could probably make do quite alright with the latest offerings from Taiwan (it really isn't all garbage, some of it is quite nice and certainly serviceable), but I rather have the better stuff, especially cause most these tools will theoretically last me until I'm dead, or at least a decade or two.

I also do handyman work, so I like to buy nice stuff in that realm too. My mechanical tools don't really make me money, except for doing small jobs here and there, though my general handyman tools pay for themselves readily (and technically are tax deductible to some extent...). Really, even the mechanical tools pay for themselves considering the cost of doing stuff like timing belts and cylinder heads or even little stuff like changing out axles at a shop...

I work for estate sales as well, and find other ways to get used tools. A lot of my tools are from dead people. I'm cool with that. At some point in the next day - 80 years when I'm dead some other guy or gal will get to rummage through my stuff and make something useful out of it or recycle it back in scrap metal which can be recycled infinitely into structural beams for bridges or chromed urinal fixtures or prison bars.

Oh, that's not the romantic image I was going for. I meant that I'd hand them down to my dutiful children who will follow in my footsteps or something. Either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Not uncomfortable, but I tend to analyze the pros/cons so much that I have an easier time not buying anything.

I see it more in terms of least resistance.
    Basically, that ^. I do that.

I think it's good to think things through, but I think I wayyyyyy overanalyze considering that at the end of the day I tend to be fairly content with whatever.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboo View Post
    I buy them for both practical reasons and enjoyment.

I also buy tools that are of a higher quality standard than I really need, a lot of the time. I'm not completely averse to cheap tools that do the job, but given the chance I rather have something well made.

I could probably make do quite alright with the latest offerings from Taiwan (it really isn't all garbage, some of it is quite nice and certainly serviceable), but I rather have the better stuff, especially cause most these tools will theoretically last me until I'm dead, or at least a decade or two.

I also do handyman work, so I like to buy nice stuff in that realm too. My mechanical tools don't really make me money, except for doing small jobs here and there, though my general handyman tools pay for themselves readily (and technically are tax deductible to some extent...). Really, even the mechanical tools pay for themselves considering the cost of doing stuff like timing belts and cylinder heads or even little stuff like changing out axles at a shop...

I work for estate sales as well, and find other ways to get used tools. A lot of my tools are from dead people. I'm cool with that. At some point in the next day - 80 years when I'm dead some other guy or gal will get to rummage through my stuff and make something useful out of it or recycle it back in scrap metal which can be recycled infinitely into structural beams for bridges or chromed urinal fixtures or prison bars.

Oh, that's not the romantic image I was going for. I meant that I'd hand them down to my dutiful children who will follow in my footsteps or something. Either way.
    Then if you get that much enjoyment and occupation out of them, it's not really that unusual that it would be your main purchase. I wouldn't diminish them as strange or unimportant just because they're not electronics, clothes, music, knick-knacks or whatever other people typically buy. This is what you prefer to spend your money on, so enjoy that.

I know my (ISTP, mechanic) Dad's favourite things is a broken engine to fiddle with. You can see how much he loves the purity, the order of it all, the slow methodical deconstruction, the mystery needing to be solved. I see the artisan in him as much as the artsy SPs, and the same goes for you. You're talking about craftsmanship and creativity; these tools and parts are like your paintbrushes and canvas. Just because they have a practical element to them, doesn't mean they're simply bland necessities.
    INFP 4w5 so/sp

I've dreamt in my life dreams that have stayed with me ever after, and changed my ideas;
    they've gone through and through me, like wine through water, and altered the colour of my mind.

- Emily Bronte

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Yes, it definitely does. I hesitate to even buy food that I like and tend to feel a little anxious when I sense that my shopping cart is getting full.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Most of the it doesn't make me uncomfortable. Exceptions would be when I'm shopping for something I've never owned before such as a GPS system and I go to the store and I'm overwhelmed by the choices and the unique options for each model. Then I might experience a mild form of anxiety since I want to choose wisely. The second exception would be when I'm buying something for someone else such as shopping for Christmas or birthdays and I have an idea what they may like but I'm not sure they'd actually *want* it or am not sure if they have it already.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

I don't analyze what I buy; I just get what I feel like getting exactly when I want it!

MBTI
    XXFP

Ok, here's my shopping list:

I removed the spare tire (and all the seats lol) from my car. I'd like a backup system there so I need:

- portable air compressor
    - tire plugs
    - a better jack would be nice cause nobody likes a scissor jack UNLESS it had a hex bolt drive that I could ratchet up.
    - a breaker bar and a variety of sockets for my and other peope's lug nuts would be a nice option

- misc: can of mace and a nice non-flashy holster for it for meeting sketchballs from craigslist/estate sale security (people can get crazy)

- wobble extensions
    - t handles from a nut driver which i'll promptly clamp in a vice and remove whatever blade is in there and make my own spinner handle in 1/4 and 3/8

- hex bit socket set for bikes...home depot has one but VIM tools makes another one, probably taiwanese but very well reviewed/heat treated.

- locking extensions, knurled (Proto), or brew my own with locking heads i can buy

- i got some wera screwdrivers in the mail i bought to test - they'll probably get pulled and bored used for handles on my new/old Snap-on F748 (sacrilege to some but whatever, Czech/USA is ok by me). But if I like them I might buy a set.

(example)

- some 1/4 drive adapters with locking heads - i hate things falling apart irritating

- impact sockets in 3/8?

- new portable tool box i like the cantilever concept.

- assorted socket rails

- assorted tool bags?

- duplicate tools cheap for the car

- tool rolls

- SDS drill bits for my new/old Hilti (i've never enjoyed drilling holes in concrete...maybe a bigger/better gun will help)

mild panic

- oh and maybe some punches, cause the chinese ones i have are garbage

- oh and a 5 inch grinding wheel smooth and buffing wheel

ahhh
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    ISTP

I don't mind buying things, but I just don't like buying the wrong things like something which ends up being useless. I have pretty developed buying preferences, so I buy very specific items of high quality, and rarely find anything I buy to be a waste of money. Some purchases are inherently expendable, like food and gas, so I tend not to stress when it comes to that (aside from things like avoiding eating out because it's expensive).

It is said ISTPs have an inherent ability to choose the right tool for the job. This develops a pattern of which tools are widely-applicable to many things (not considering tools themselves are naturally useful for different tasks) and this shapes our buying preferences, I think.

WALMART

Buy once, cry once.

I love spending money on high quality products I can use a lifetime. I'm soon to construct a chef knife using a $120 sword blank with its tang clad in some fancy material, but it's made out of the highest quality steel (ATS-34) and hopefully will be something I can look down on and appreciate in 2048 while I'm chopping up celery and carrots for my grandchildren.

The logic usually extends to most purchases I set out for.

MBTI
    INFJ

Wanting things makes me uncomfortable, and discomfort with buying follows from that.

I'm not materialistic but it's just like an instinct to want stuff some times, like a new gadget or game some such. Too much stuff messes with my zen (what little bit that I have) so I like to keep things simple and only get things that I'm really really really going to use. I can't imagine having five gaming consoles and all that because I'd be overwhelmed by it - I barely have time for just one of them anyway and any additional ones would just be more clutter to manage.

There have been times where I've considered becoming a nun just to be rid of stuff.