User Tag List

12 Last

Infinite Bubble

Default Do you believe in ghosts?

Once upon a time I believed in them. I thought perhaps when the physical body died, some kind of residue energy or other substance was temporarily left behind because of the mind/consciousness. Or that it is from different dimensions merging together briefly. I think now that those that have witnessed sightings actually had their minds playing tricks on them or was actually hallucinating. Anyway:

Do you believe in ghosts? If so, what do you think they are? And if not, why not?

garbage

Nope; pragmatism gets in the way. Believing in ghosts would lead me to attribute wrong causes for effects.

That scraping on the window? It's not a ghost; it's a tree limb. The eight-year-old boy ought not to be frightened by some nebulous concept that will "get him" in the night.

I've never believed a specific ghost story, but I don't reject the concept. The combination of similar reports and our relative utter lack of knowledge about the universe make me feel silly for rejecting it.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    I've never believed a specific ghost story, but I don't reject the concept. The combination of similar reports and our relative utter lack of knowledge about the universe make me feel silly for rejecting it.
    This. I've never experienced anything personally that would lend to a belief in ghosts, but it would be close-minded to eliminate possibilities when our knowledge of the human brain and its capabilities are limited. There is much to learn about consciousness. Research has shown that some individuals do exhibit ESP and other psychic abilities, but mainstream science won't acknowledge this phenomena as legitimate until it is replicated on a large scale, consistently, in a controlled environment.

I have never had any experience with a ghost or anything like that. Doesn't make me able to say with certainty that some part of us doesn't continue on after death.
    Your kisses, sweeter than honey. But guess what, so is my money.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Until we definitely solve each unknown case (contingent on definition) to ever have occurred, the possibility remains.

thinking of you

Society

I am agnostic about it, but I wonder if the current scientific culture (rather then the paradigm) might be very biased against any concept traditionally associated with the supernatural. Wouldnt any uni devoting research funds into this be risking making a mockery of itself? Hmm...

Epiphany

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    I am agnostic about it, but I wonder if the current scientific culture (rather then the paradigm) might be very biased against any concept traditionally associated with the supernatural. Wouldnt any uni devoting research funds into this be risking making a mockery of itself? Hmm...
    Exactly. There is a huge bias against phenomena that is currently regarded as paranormal. Researchers know they are risking their reputation, credibility and future funding by even being associated with a field that many regard as pseudo-science, which is why it doesn't receive the attention it deserves. Not to mention, these ridiculous "paranormal investigative" shows on tv portray anyone who's interested in the subject as loony.

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Moniker View Post
    Exactly. There is a huge bias against phenomena that is currently regarded as paranormal. Researchers know they are risking their reputation, credibility and future funding by even being associated with a field that many regard as pseudo-science, which is why it doesn't receive the attention it deserves. Not to mention, these ridiculous "paranormal investigative" shows on tv portray anyone who's interested in the subject as loony.
    So nobody ever tries to replicate and verify the results other then other "loonies"... Never anything on a large enough scale to be considered evidence.

its a bit disaipointing, not so much in itself - its entirely possible that there is nothing of the sort to find - but you really dont want willful ignorance in the very same institutions whose job is to explore what humanity is ignorant about.

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

Yes, ghosts must exist on a level we cannot clearly see or observe. I am confident the future will reveal we live in a much bigger world than what the physical presents before our immediate sense perceptions.