User Tag List

12 Last

Society

Default how do you deal with incompetent service?

when you have a problem demanding an organization, anything from your mobile phone provider to your insurance's licensed car mechanic... and they are incompetent, not doing the job or even making things worst...

how do you deal with that? what do you do?

garbage

Yelling at a tech support dude on the phone, who didn't cause my problem in the first place, does no good. Their job is difficult enough. So, I cooperate with them pretty well.

I'm forceful, assertive, and direct with the people who do screw up, however. Sometimes, I use a controlled mask of frustration as a tactic to portray urgency--but only to those who royally screw up and who aren't listening.

I try not to make enemies out of the people who I have to deal with over and over (e.g. in my own organization) because, in the future, they won't be so cooperative. So, I try to steer the two of us, negotiating toward a mutual, diplomatic, and often friendly agreement especially if they're gonna be part of my life for a while.

It's much tougher when I lose control, but, thankfully, that's rare, and I do have a way of snapping back into reality during the course of conversation.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I'm controlled/assertive when dealing with incompetent people, but pleasant/patient at the same time. I understand they may not have been trained properly, & that's not their fault. Maybe they're having an off-day, maybe the computers are freezing up on them. And phone jobs are a bitch. I do make abundantly clear what my needs are and what they were supposed to have done to meet said needs, and what now must be done to rectify the issue. I've had a few customer service people either still not comprehend the problem, or outright refuse to work with me, & I then ask to speak to their supervisor to resolve it. I don't get mad, I just keep looking for pathways toward resolution, & I don't waste time making complaints aside from any that may directly pertain to my original problem at hand.

There are exceptions to the 'getting pissed' part, however. Very rare, fortunately.

I had to deal with a fellow recently who refused to allow me to speak with his supervisor. He was more or less being a snarky twit. I remained very- very calm, though quite livid he'd harbored both the astounding idiocy & audacity to treat a customer that way. I seethed beneath the skin.

How I went on from there: (calm, careful, quiet) "y'know how your automated service says 'the call MAY be recorded for quality assurance,' Alex? I've worked at similar jobs- I'm well aware for legal reasons that ALL of your calls are documented. So if you don't want me to contact the corporate center & have them access this record- hearing their employee refuse to allow me to speak to his supervisor, then I suggest you reconsider your inaction & choice of words-- so we can resolve this without putting anyone's job in jeaopardy." [something to that effect].

^That's the nastiest I've been toward an incompetent shitbag I had the displeasure of talking with.
    I don't feel bad about it.. what needed to be taken care of was finally resolved. His demeanor grew very pleasant, and he suddenly became multi-talented, with regard to problem-solving.

Ordinarily I'm far more patient, I swear.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

WALMART

I've learned to quickly appeal to higher authorities. I have no patience once I feel something is going on the wrong track, it used to be I would grow complacent with my service and back away from the situation, at a cost to my satisfaction. Now I just say, "is your manager around?"

It works so well. Having managed myself, there were so many times I would walk in on a conversation between a customer and one of my employees and immediately understand their sentiment. They simply have more experience and "know-how" power to resolve my concerns satisfactorily.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    There are exceptions to the 'getting pissed' part, however. Very rare, fortunately.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    when you have a problem demanding an organization, anything from your mobile phone provider to your insurance's licensed car mechanic... and they are incompetent, not doing the job or even making things worst...

how do you deal with that? what do you do?
    In many ways I think this is a fact of life, organisations and institutions are only as good as the individuals who make them up, it shouldnt really be that way and the whole history of business or formal organisation is an attempt to overcome that or adapt or allow for it.

The thing too is that some of the most vital competencies, ie emotional competency, are the least easy to influence or change.

Personally I just keep as good records as I can of things, on the job, of the job, when I'm having work done for me and have clear expectations and consistent limits to what I'm willing to tolerate in terms of short fall, error or failure to deliver. I will take my business elsewhere when I can. I will let others know about what my own experience has been etc. Try and find better alternatives that I can then recommend to others too.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    Yelling at a tech support dude on the phone, who didn't cause my problem in the first place, does no good. Their job is difficult enough. So, I cooperate with them pretty well.

I'm forceful, assertive, and direct with the people who do screw up, however. Sometimes, I use a controlled mask of frustration as a tactic to portray urgency--but only to those who royally screw up and who aren't listening.

I try not to make enemies out of the people who I have to deal with over and over (e.g. in my own organization) because, in the future, they won't be so cooperative. So, I try to steer the two of us, negotiating toward a mutual, diplomatic, and often friendly agreement especially if they're gonna be part of my life for a while.

It's much tougher when I lose control, but, thankfully, that's rare, and I do have a way of snapping back into reality during the course of conversation.
    I agree with each of those, I've been reading about conflict resolution (something I think is a misnomer and I would substitute conflict management in its place because I dont think conflict is unnecessary and unhealthy or something which shouldnt happen per se) and it suggests the ideal is one of collaboration.

I agree too about not shooting the messenger when it comes to things like this but I also think that I've found more and more was time goes on and with the passage of years that more and more professionals are appealing to me to educate myself and prepare myself for contact with them and engage my own learning, I've no problem with that, it fits with differenty "polymath democratic personal responsibility" ideas that I have but I cant help but wonder if its leading to a situation in which we're all accepting and working alongside the acknowledged faults and short comings of service.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

This is one area where I have learned SO MUCH from my ESFJ mom. Following her example, I try to ally with the people who will be helpful in getting my issue resolved, and present the situation in a light that they will want to help me. I am adamant if something is unfair (ie, "I feel like my contract has promised me [this], but I haven't received it"), but I try to make the issue about things instead of people - the contract promises me this, my warranty promises that, etc. If a person has screwed up, I still try to make it about the mistake and how the mistake shorted me, and not the person and how the person screwed me over. I try to think about how I would respond if I were listening to myself, and if I were in their shoes, what would make me want to help me most.

A success - recently I checked into a condo room where I was told by the company person I made the reservation with I would have a private balcony, and paid $100 more a night for that and another feature. When I got to my surprisingly first-floor room, I discovered my "private balcony" was essentially a gated off piece of the public sidewalk. I went to the desk and explained that I felt like it was a major misrepresentation - there wasn't anything private about that balcony, nor was it in fact a balcony, lol - that I loved their establishment and had been coming there for almost 10 years, and was disappointed and would like either my room to be changed or to pay the fee for a non-balcony room. They weren't ecstatic, of course, but they did change my room.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm persistent without being rude for relatively important things, for minor things I tend to just let things go entirely.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

I usually start by explaining that I understand the limits of the other person's responsibility (e.g. "I realize this is not your fault"). I also make sure I have done my homework, and have all the facts at the tip of my fingers, and that they really do support my case. If the person is at least trying to fix the problem, I will work with them patiently until they run out of options. Usually at this point it is easy to get put in touch with a supervisor or more able coworker. If they don't appear to be trying to help or are trying to give me the runaround, I will ask for a supervisor and not give up. Occasionally this precipitates the employee to resolve the situation himself; other times, I get the supervisor and carry on from there.

One of the most obnoxious encounters I've had was with the billing person at a doctor's office. As I was leaving after an appointment, she insisted I pay right then and there for a test done 6 months earlier. Not only was this the first time I had been asked to pay this, but the test was 100% covered by my insurance. She even threatened to send a collection agency after me, and told me that I was legally obligated to pay the bill, insurance or no. I told her that the insurance company was also legally obligated to pay for the services specified in their benefits plan. While it might be interesting to see which obligation a court gave precedence to, if she really wanted payment for this service, it would be better to wait for me to call my insurer to find out why they hadn't paid the charge. Shortly after getting back to my office, I received a very apologetic call from the office manager, explaining it was all their error.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...