User Tag List

First 123 Last

Society

Another somewhat non ecological solution might be printing out the e books making them more accessible on a casual basis, less straining on your eyes, and easy to dipose of. I dont know if you can do that with kindle but theres a good selection of pdfs on pirate bay, just search for the book you want.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    54 so/sp
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Paperbackswap, self-designated "largest online book swapping community in the world", leans on a point currency.

thinking of you

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

This thread has inspired me to take out my book collection to not only look for all of the study books I'll need, but to get rid of all the ones I've been meaning to go through. Dear God.. just getting the box on the dolly... @_@
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

This thread has inspired me to go buy more books to add to my overflowing library.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 so/sp
    Socionics
    EII

Donate them to third world countries. You'd be surprised how prized English books are in places in Asia. They would cherish it there.

I jumped on the kindle wagon a long time ago and now don't have the hoarding problem. SOmetimes I borrow books from the library if I'm missing physical books or if they don't have it online.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

Quote Originally Posted by Emerald Rain View Post
    Donate them to third world countries. You'd be surprised how prized English books are in places in Asia. They would cherish it there.
    Ooh, that's a good idea. And you get the added benefit of donating them all at once, if you want. That is, if there are such things as book dumps where collectors just do the sorting themselves.

We got this nifty book scanner at my library, so I used to to scan books I checked out. I only did it once, because scanning the whole book took, like, two hours of standing. BUT, now I don't have to lug around the physical copy, and the electronic file is sitting neatly in my computer, waiting to be read... eventually.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I mostly buy audiobooks and kindle books. I usually read the kindle books on my laptop, but it's really nice to have something on my phone to read or listen to whenever I want to, which is virtually all the time. I also am not in a big hurry to build more bookshelves.

Edit: These are great:

“There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Senior Member captain curmudgeon's Avatar
    MBTI
    BIRD
    Enneagram
    631 sp

I need to get rid of a lot of books as well. Hopefully this will happen soon.
    Jarlaxle: fact checking this thread makes me want to go all INFP on my wrists

"I'm in competition with myself and I'm losing."
    -Roger Waters

ReadingRainbows: OMG GUYS
    ReadingRainbows: GUESS WHAT EXISTS FOR ME
    hel: fairies?
    Captain Curmudgeon: existential angst?

Johari Nohari

https://www.librarything.com/profile/wheelchairdoug

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    I mostly buy audiobooks and kindle books. I usually read the kindle books on my laptop, but it's really nice to have something on my phone to read or listen to whenever I want to, which is virtually all the time. I also am not in a big hurry to build more bookshelves.

Edit: These are great:

What are they?

I've got audiobooks from iTunes in the past and I'm trying to get into audiobooks more.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    What are they?

I've got audiobooks from iTunes in the past and I'm trying to get into audiobooks more.
    They are bluetooth headphones. I love them because the cords don't get caught on stuff all the time, like when I'm washing dishes or cooking or whatever.

I don't know how much audiobooks go for on iTunes, but audible is not too bad a deal if you buy one of the bigger packages and they have sales on books periodically. They were bought by Amazon so digital downloadable books they sell are from audible. And if you don't mind paying a little extra, they have set-up where you can switch between the kindle book and the audiobook and it will keep your place.

I'm a slavering audiobook junkie and I'm pretty sure audible has dibs on my soul.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers