User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

Default Do you find "Missed Connections" flattering or creepy?

On Kijiji and Craigslist they have those missed connections columns. While I used to think that sort of thing at Valentine's Day in the campus newspaper was kind of cute and nice, I find that same kind of thing on those websites vaguely creepy and disturbing. Kind of like I had never really thought about how many potentially stalkerish sort of people are just at your local Tim Horton's or other places you end up running errands at or go to on a regular basis.

Perhaps I am only paranoid. I've had weird people make up scenarios where they somehow believed we were deeply involved even though the contact between us was limited to acknowledgement of a regular in a coffee shop, etc, so maybe that colours my perceptions.

What do you think?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

I would never answer one but I have a secret dream of having one written about me co used to check it somewhat often when I worked at whole foods lol. there was one for my coworker once but never me.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

I find them missed. You missed them. Next time, connect with someone you like in the moment: it's a good sign that you're ready to be with someone.

Also, what is the likelihood that the person you met will see your Craigslist notice while it is still visible? Or maybe more people check those listings than I realize. I don't.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]

Society

Mind quoting or linking a few examples so that honest people who only go to those sites for human trafficking might know what this is about?

Edit: Searched for "missed connection" on kijiji and didnt find anything..

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 so/sx

It's a mixed bag. Some are sweet so are really gross. Mostly though they aren't stalkerish types. Either people wishing they'd spoken to some random person or perverts looking for hook ups.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sx

I just googled missed connections and got both Craigslist and Kijiji for various cities.

I think the ones that indicate there was a shared moment of eye contact or a conversation that got cut short are okay. It's the ones where the person was purely observing the other person unawares that make me feel ooky.

Society

Quote Originally Posted by fidelia View Post
    I just googled missed connections and got both Craigslist and Kijiji for various cities.
    Oh, searching's front door. Did not think of that.

Society

Default Missed Connection

dear blond folk dancer, i couldn't help notice your piercing eyes and gorgeous smile checking me out all evening between your dancing bits, i can reassure you that i did the same - as you probably noticed me taking occasional glances at those beautiful lips - and the only reason i didn't approach you was because you looked so young and i thought hitting on you would be creepy. it wasn't until it was called out loud by the event organizer that i realized you were all in the same dancing class and the same year as the woman whose death we were all commemorating, which in fact makes you two years my senior.

i would have happily being your boytoy or at least enjoyed my time getting to know if we have any chemistry, if it wasn't for the same damn reason you probably still get asked for an ID by every bartender. seriously, 30? you barely look 18! tell your mother she has given you some wicked genes.

/missed connection

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

This is intriguing, I've never heard of anything like this and I think yeah that what you're describing does sound a bit odd.

I mean people write about feeling they have a connection with people they havent spoken to? Er, nope, no way to suggest or believe that. I'd say my connection to persons I've worked in close proximity with, in what is at times a pretty stressful field and lends itself to escalations in self-disclosure of a kind I'd not expect in any other walk of life, is pretty tenuous even after more than five years. Perhaps that's something about me, I have a great many associates but few really good friends and no committed SO.

Without wishing to fail to give people I've known online their place what is said about your facebook friends (ie how many of them would you ask to help move your house and how many would) I think is true too.

What I could see something like the missed connections postings or columns being legitimately used for would be if you'd actually met someone, gotten to know a bit about them, perhaps arranged to meet again but mislaid their contact details, sort of a "hey, I didnt stand you up" or "I know I said I'd contact and I've wanted to but the thing is".

WALMART

Default To the Tall, Dark Woman -

You were sitting out front alone when I walked up. I had just seen the boy you were with walk inside to the party, but you stayed sitting, far removed from everything else. I wondered why, what compelled you remain seated? I can only hope you share the same fondness of serenity as I do. Why did you seem surprised when I told you hi? I found your response cute, but I continued my foray against the party, leaving you outside alone...

Later in the night, you approached me to introduce yourself. Your accent was thick, where are you from? I didn't ask, maybe I found it enjoyable being a mystery. Being the introvert I am, I didn't have much to say. Anything would have been preferable to the regret I now feel for not pursuing you further, I would even sacrifice you remaining such a mystery in my mind.

Maybe you'll be at the next party he holds? One can hope.