User Tag List

12311 Last

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Default Do you think you are physically attractive?

For those that do:

How long have you thought yourself as being physically attractive and what is it about yourself that you find attractive?

Do you like your figure, your face, etc.?

For those that don't:

How long have you thought yourself as being physically unattractive, and what is it about yourself that you find unattractive?

Do you have issues with your figure, your face, etc.?

For everybody:

How important are looks?

How important is it to feel or not feel physically attractive?
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

There are parts of me that i find attractive, and parts of me that i do not find attractive. In general i mostly find myself unattractive.

How long have you thought yourself as being physically unattractive, and what is it about yourself that you find unattractive?

Most of my life. Growing up i had and still have sisters that are much more attractive than me, and people often point this out. I was never the cute one, or the pretty one, just the sister of the pretty one. I hate my thighs, my huge forehead, my frizzy hair,my stretch marks and many other things.

I do have issues with my figure, especially since i had a baby, my body hasn't looked the same since, i have extra weight in places that i've never had it before. I've never really had too many issues with my face, except for the stupid black heads on get on my nose, and my mustache that is only visible if you look really closely.

How important are looks?
    I like to look good for myself. I feel better about myself when i know that i look attractive, it gives me a lot more confidence. I know that if i look like crap, i'm likely to feel that way. As far as the way other people look, i'm not as concerned. I would be lying if i sad that looks do not matter to me at all, but it's the whole package in general.

I think it is important to feel attractive. I wouldn't say that it is the most important thing in the whole world, and i do not spend hours trying to look attractive, but it is good for self esteem.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

scantilyclad...

FWIW, I find you incredibly attractive. (This fact was crystallized, oddly enough, when I saw your youtube response to the "Two girls one finger" video.)

You exhibit a radiating "x-factor" feature, that's the best way I can describe it.
    `

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    GONE

“If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

Do you think you are physically attractive?

Yes.

How long have you thought yourself as being physically attractive and what is it about yourself that you find attractive?

When I was a kid I rarely, if ever, looked in the mirror, shit, I hardly even knew I was a girl, for that matter. Once I hit puberty, however, the reflection I saw in the mirror suddenly became an ever-growing important presence in my day-to-day life. I hated my breasts, they were too large and pointy, I wanted them to disappear. I hated having pimples as well. There was also a period of two years or so in high school where I overate and went through an awkward slightly overweight stage, luckily, I was smart enough to avoid the mirror then, but still I felt kind of yucky on the inside (which is why I think I overate in the first place).

I don't think I have ever thought of myself as ugly. And for upwards 7 to 8 years now, I've been over all happy or apathetic about my physical appearance.

Currently, I have no problems having my "ugly" days as well as having my "hot-damn-I-am-smokin'" days.

I am generally pleased with both.

Note: It is somewhat difficult living in L.A. though, I know I am petite but compared to many of the ladies here, I am downright meaty, actually I think I am pretty meaty too, but in a healthy and attractive way!

How important are looks?

Not that important. I would take brains over beauty, (in both sexes), any day!!!

Ironic to my last statement, pretty important. The reason why I think this to be true is the fact that my feeling good about myself externally seems to always be generated by my internal state of being, i.e. when I feel shitty about myself, I feel ugly, and conversely when I feel good about myself, I feel pretty.

It comes down to having positive self-regard and esteem.

I think I am a beautiful person, honestly, I do, (I hate how we are shunned as being shallow for, shock, horror, actually thinking about that about ourselves), and for some reason, I think that this personal sentiment is externally expressed to others.

Also, I find many people to be physically attractive. I've been accused in the past of having low standards, but pish-posh, in regards to aesthetics, I see a wholelotta beauty out there!
    Last edited by SillySapienne; 06-25-2008 at 05:26 PM. Reason: I'm anal...
    `

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Do you think you are physically attractive?

Right this very minute no, but there are times when I do.

Growing up I had very low self esteem. When I was 18 I was offered a job working for a cosmetics company and thing started to improve from there. I believe the older you get, the more confident you become because things that you worried and stressed over in your youth, you no longer care about.

Sure, why not. Could there be improvements? Of course and I'm working on them.

How important are looks?

Eh, not really. In friends it makes no difference as long as they're a good conversationalist with a sense of humor, what they look like is unimportant to me. In a mate possibly a bit more, however it's the total package (yes that as well ) that was important to me and I am quite satisfied with my choice.

Feeling good about yourself makes a difference in how others see and react to you. I think it's very important to have a positive self image. If you can't love yourself, it can make it difficult for others to love you. Why? Because if you're not happy with who you are, you will likely push those who care for you away.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    OMNi

I think beauty and attractiveness are an illusion. They only exist as extensions of what we consider to be healthy or desirable, and they serve as a way to find suitable mates and protect ourselves from possible dangers. Hence why we find those who are weak, excessively fat or skinny, deformed, old, etc. to by "ugly" and those who are strong, slender to average, symmetrical, youthful, etc. to be "beautiful".

Beyond that, beauty and attraction are formed from socialized desires, much of which we learn from observing our parents. Hence why we are more likely to choose a mate that resembles one of our parents, usually the one of the opposite sex. Compound that with the media telling us what is desirable and healthy, and beauty become a cultural reflection of what is ideal.

I don't consider myself attractive or unattractive because what may make me attractive to one person, may make me unattractive to another. Some people have told me they find me drop dead gorgeous and others have told me they find me repulsive and ugly. I consider myself to be average and unspectacular, and I am very happy that way. I'm not going to change to suit other people's taste (yes I do have some Fi) and so my "looks" aren't that important to me. When it comes to finding a suitable mate, attractiveness is low on my list, as compared to whether they can meet my emotional needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Silently Honest View Post
    OMNi: Wisdom at the cost of Sanity.

MBTI
    INxJ

I didn't realize other people found me attractive, until age 21 or so. I've always been a very quiet person with nerdy interests and friends. However, a lot of jocks started hitting on me beginning in middle school and continued throughout my schooling, years after. I even had a meat head stalker my first semester at university. It still never dawned on me why those people would try to talk to me at my locker etc. or follow me. Having people think I was pretty, was seriously the furthest thought from my mind. Since I tried my best to ignore aforementioned people, even if they were standing near me waiting for some type of communication, they typically never pursued further after a brush off. To be clear, I brushed the people off because I sincerely had no idea why they would want to talk to me.

All in all, I have been acutely aware of being aesthetically pleasing for 3 years now. I'm interesting, bright, open-minded, and engaging (when I choose).

My facial features are arranged in a nice manner, and I exercise regularly. Being a raw foodist, my weight tends to stay the same, all the time. I have a lot of respect for the inner working of my body. I eat very healthy, which keeps my blood clean, that in turn fuels my brain. Yes, I am happy overall with my physicality.

How important are looks?
    They are not in terms of interpersonal relationships. They do come in handy for real world situations. It's no secret that someone more attractive is more likely to get promoted, treated better, and given more opportunities in life. That is true, no matter what anyone would like to think.

The majority of the time, I don't welcome the attention I receive. I dress down a lot in order to offset that as much as possible. I've even gone as far as getting an unflattering haircut. Though, if I like someone romantically, I hope they find me physically attractive for sexual reasons.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Probably since I hit puberty and started thinking about sex. I don't really find myself very unattractive, there are things that I dislike about myself but I know I have only myself to blame for whatever those parts of me are. It's just that I always compare myself to other girls and think I don't stand a chance around them, there's always someone prettier than me, more fit, taller, thinner, who would settle for me?

Yes, a few. I have very fussy skin which causes me a lot of woe.

How important are looks?

My own looks are very important to me. For other people, not so much. I think everyone's beautiful in their own way (seriously, I am not just saying that). I don't go around thinking, "ew that person's ugly" if they don't meet the standards I have set for myself.

I like feeling attractive, but it's mostly for myself. I have to like what I see in the mirror, but I know there's no way I can make other people like it too.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

For those that do:

I had a very verbally affirming family growing up and have an affirming husband as well, so I have always thought of myself as somewhat pretty. Adolescence was a little tough, but not terribly so. Objectively, I think my size and shape are not too bad, my face is average, but with good make-up can look pretty. Subjectively, I like my hair, backside, and feet. I think that I'm a far cry from perfect, but that I look pretty good for having had four kids and being nearly 38.

For everybody:

How important are looks?
    To me, as long as my husband is attracted to me and my children are not embarrassed of the way I look, it's not a huge deal. OTOH, the way a person looks effects the way people treat you, so I am conscious of that. I suspect as I age, I may feel the social effects of fading looks and realize that I've enjoyed privileges I never realized I had.

It's very important that I feel attractive to my husband. I suspect that his reaction to my appearance probably gives me more confidence in my looks than I rightfully probably ought not to have. For myself, I don't care if I look great, I just don't want to look bad or ugly.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers