User Tag List

First 789101119 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I was just speaking of the overall trend of responses here... most people won't come out and say that appearance DOES play some role in assessments of people. There are ALWAYS some deviations, but in general, people are more confident in themselves when they find themselves attractive, and the treatment that people receive from society is partially based on how they look- I'm certainly not saying that this seems fair, but it's an inherant bias in people's interactions.

I'm not accusing you... I'm just pointing out an observation
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I was just speaking of the overall trend of responses here... most people won't come out and say that appearance DOES play some role in assessments of people. There are ALWAYS some deviations, but in general, people are more confident in themselves when they find themselves attractive, and the treatment that people receive from society is partially based on how they look- I'm certainly not saying that this seems fair, but it's an inherant bias in people's interactions.

I'm not accusing you... I'm just pointing out an observation
    Well, you did it in a pretty condescending tone. For instance, "Anyone who's saying that it doesn't matter is probably just lying to make themselves sound like a better person." You should really be a lot more specific before making a statement like that. Doesn't matter in what sense? I might agree with you, for instance, if we're talking about someone who claims that they aren't attracted physically to people. Otherwise, that's a pretty broad statement.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

key word... probably. I tend to aviod making blanket statements- wiggle room is a necessity.

** all posts made this evening are under the influence of booze **
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INxJ

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Do you think you are physically attractive?

Basically not.

I tell myself that women are never going to get past my looks, and I basically want to give up. I also have this weird concept that if a woman were in a relationship with me then she'd be settling for someone less attractive than she'd have to, and that actually makes me feel guilty. There's almost a sense of failure in being unattractive, and that correlates to a sense of worth and deserving.
    Oh my. Let me tell you, your gorgeous. In a very vampire-esque way. Which is definitely hot. ^.~ I would get acne every now and then before I changed my diet. I haven't had any issues since. I'm really sorry you feel so bad about your looks. I mean, it's not about "settling". There is only one of you. That in itself is very beautiful and can't be replaced. Looks are only one very small part of what makes a romantic relationship work.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

For those that do:

How long have you thought yourself as being physically attractive and what is it about yourself that you find attractive?

Do you like your figure, your face, etc.?

I've thought of myself as physically attractive for about 7-8 years, although less so in the last 2 or 3. I've felt I'm old. I have an athletic body and I look great, kind of like a cyclist/swimmer/long distance runner build.

I've had more doubt about my face, tho I do think I look very good from certain angles, lightning, with good cloths to accentuate my features, good haircut etc. Yet I think it's more in the making and less in my actual face

For those that don't:

How long have you thought yourself as being physically unattractive, and what is it about yourself that you find unattractive?

Do you have issues with your figure, your face, etc.?

I've thought of my face looking just average, or sometimes unattractive, for some 2-3 years. Perhaps I've had a tired, sad expression on my face for much of the time. Dark circles around the eyes. I've tried to eat and sleep healthier and I've recovered most of my energy and happiness, and I think it reflects on my face.

For everybody:

How important are looks?

How important is it to feel or not feel physically attractive?

I haven't thought of them as very important at all. I rarely think about them, tho I do sometimes. Sometimes I get referred to as a "pretty boy" or good looking. Most of the time I wouldn't have got the reference (that they were talking about me) unless I got some other clues for it.

For the most part, I've just thought I have adequate looks for whatever thing I've tried to accomplish, so that my looks haven't been a detriment to me, allowing me to concentrate on the task and the situation of whatever I'm doing.

Sometimes rarely I've created a very sexy, good-looking style and felt great. Still, it's not that important that I would go through the trouble of selecting cloths, hairstyle, etc with great effort.

Perhaps I've looked good enough for the most part, so I haven't had to think about it very much.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I think it's absolute bullshit when people say that looks don't matter to them at all... looks play a huge roll in society- good looking people are less likely to get convicted of a crime, they're more likely to get hired, get positive reactions from people, be helped if in peril and they have a much higher level of self confidence. All of us generally have a certain "look" that attracts us more than others- even if it's only subconsciously, and there's a classical, cross cultural standard of beauty that traces back to evolutionary attraction to people who appear to have the best genes to pass on.
    This is true. I mean you're very likely not going to get hired for a job if you show up for your interview looking like a skank. If the employer has to choose between two qualified candidates, they will usually choose the better looking of the two unless they feel threatened by the more attractive persons looks.
    I know that sounds rather bitchy and cruel, but it's a subject that I've actually done quite a bit of research on for one of my papers in an honors class a few years ago, and if these facts have been verified by a variety of studies and cultural observations spanning over centuries I don't see how people can claim that they are too distracted looking at people's souls or whatever to notice the appearance of someone.
    I've done my own personal research and when I go places with no makeup on, hair pulled back, t-shirt and thrown on shorts or capris, I know I am likely to be treated average. Now if I go all out with hair, makeup and much nicer clothing, I receive a lot more positive attention. I've even tried this at the gym. If I go with light makeup, nice hair and nice gym attire, people are chattier (including staff) and more accommodating. If I go as plain jane it's almost as if I'm invisible.

I've also observed here on this forum and INTPc that the less makeup and fuss you make over your appearance, the more you're admired and/or taken more seriously.
    On another note though- I don't find any poster here to be repulsive lookswise.
    Ditto

Sub, nice to see you!
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I've also observed here on this forum and INTPc that the less makeup and fuss you make over your appearance, the more you're admired or taken more seriously.
    That basic idea can extend elsewhere. In some ways the appearance thing is more complicated for women. In some professional settings it is better not to look too feminine. The women I know who have succeeded in certain professional environments have a toughness and do not communicate a feminine image. The men in those settings sometimes may be friendlier to a feminine looking woman, but the expectation to flirt your way to the top is greatly increased whereas a plainer, professional look allows you to think your way to the top. But there are also professions in which wearing a suit to an interview will keep you from getting that job.

I think most people realize that appearance influences everyone to at least some degree, but it is highly contextual and subjective to personal tastes.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

Banned

Once upon a time I did...

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

How long have you thought yourself as being physically attractive and what is it about yourself that you find attractive?
    I did not really think I was even remotely attractive until I was in my mid teenage years. At the time I hated the way I looked so I absolutely avoided having my photo took.

It was only when a girl, who I was not exactly on friendly terms with, said to me I looked better with short hair than with long hair, that I realised if someone who I did not even get on with took enough interest to notice I looked nice in a certain way, then there was probably at least a few people who found me attractive.

At my school people seemed very judgmental, I always felt like an outsider, despite people mostly liking me. When I left my school at 16, I started to realise a ridiculous number of women started to hit on me. I think it is partly that that I am so shy that I never tried chatting up women, as I sort of have a fear of intimacy, so I never come across as sleazy. And women obviously think it was interesting to corrupt a cute but shy person.

Do you like your figure, your face, etc.?
    I like my face. I have this odd mix of masculinity and femininity, not just in my demeanor but also in my looks. I sometimes wish I had more imposing masculine features.

I feel somewhat uncomfortable that I am so thin, hence I feel paranoid to some extent when I'm swimming, but everyone probably feels like that. If I was a women I would be tall and skinny enough to be a supermodel.

How important are looks? How important is it to feel or not feel physically attractive?
    I only really care that I like myself and feel peace with myself. If feeling attractive makes one feel good it can't be a bad thing.

The biggest critic of one is ones self. It the very reason humans spend so long in front of mirrors.

Also, I am no 'sensor' or women, so it does not really matter what other think about my look. Unlike women I only really have to worry about what the opposite sex think about me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    That basic idea can extend elsewhere. In some ways the appearance thing is more complicated for women. In some professional settings it is better not to look too feminine. The women I know who have succeeded in certain professional environments have a toughness and do not communicate a feminine image. The men in those settings sometimes may be friendlier to a feminine looking woman, but the expectation to flirt your way to the top is greatly increased whereas a plainer, professional look allows you to think your way to the top. But there are also professions in which wearing a suit to an interview will keep you from getting that job.

I think most people realize that appearance influences everyone to at least some degree, but it is highly contextual and subjective to personal tastes.
    Oh absolutely. I once applied for a job at a hip trendy clothing boutique and didn't get the job because I wore a suit and high heels. I ran into the hiring manager shortly afterwards and she confessed to not hiring me because I appeared too conservative.

Hair color can also change people's reaction towards you. On this forum I'd say brunettes and red heads would win a hair color contest over blonds by a landslide.
    Time is a delicate mistress.