User Tag List

First 67891018 Last

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    I met her, she is physically attractive and I am a straight chick.
    Aw, thanks.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

We all got it comin' kid Delilah's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    Aw, thanks.
    And I wasn't lying or exaggerating, I have perfect vision AND good taste!

And (jealous people) I'll be seeing her again soon!

MN meet-up, August 9th
    *clinging to my face like a starfish of love* ....... PinkPiranha

MBTI
    INXP

I usually become attracted to someone (post the superficial) after spending some time with them. It could be the way they smile, or the sound of their voice. They don't need to be conventionally attractive, but being in a frame normality helps. I guess that's how I want people to feel about me. Looks will change, I don't think idiosyncrasies ever will.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

-How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Um, unattractive. Almost always believed I was, except the couple times I've lost weight. TBH I think I would look great if I lost 60lbs, but my current lifestyle is not conducive of such a large change right now. I think I can compensate fairly well for my looks using a cheerful smile and attitude.

Two things have always produced an automatic marked improvement in how people respond to me non-verbally (ie women, say, cashiers who only see me for a few minutes where looks are all they have to go by)- going clean-cut and dropping my weight to about 25lb lower than I am right now.

Looks are a convenience; an enabler. People like looking at and talking to attractive people. But personality can quickly erase most preconceptions based around looks. Looks are still part of the "whole package" when considering someone as a whole.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

As I may or may not have mentioned before, I only really notice the attractiveness of women, and some of you I don't have enough data to comment on, but...

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    I've never had a stable self-image in regards to my looks. Since my twenties i've had a sense of being pleasant looking, but not a sense of being sexually provocative in my appearance.
    I couldn't comment on sexual attraction, but you're remarkably-beautiful. When I first saw your picture, I thought you had to be in your early-to-mid-20s, because you have a huge amount of cute.

Quote Originally Posted by WobblyStilettos View Post
    My figure is huge and I have a big nose and a big forehead and low eyebrows and a square chin and no cheekbones and elephant legs and big feet and too-long fingers and a big belly and... etc.
    Don't be so harsh on yourself. The bits I've seen were quite nice. In the picture with a fair bit of your body, I noted that you had a rather nice figure.

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    I like my figure now. I think it's great. I've always had issues with my face and my hair. And pre-college, I had issues with my figure as well -- primarily because I didn't have one.
    I met you, and didn't see anything wrong with either of those aspects of you. You're definitely a good looking girl, and it was obvious from my very first impression. You do look better in 3D than you do in 2D, though it's not as extreme a difference as some people.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Most people are mindless drones that know nothing but what the media feeds them. Based on pictures I recall from INTPc, you're very pretty and you have a great body shape.
    Thanks. I wasn't actually fishing for compliments, but interesting to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by IF3157 View Post
    It is amusing how people are falling all over themselves to say how unimportant looks are to them.
    This seems like a weird comment to me. I genuinely am not that much influenced by how people look in terms of how attractive I perceive them. I'm aware of who looks attractive by my culture's standards and I like looking at people who are conventionally attractive - but that doesn't mean that I find them attractive in a omg, I like you kind of way.

But it's been a continuing theme ever since I was in my early teens (I'm in my mid-30s now) that attractiveness is very much dependent on mind/personality. For example, some of the guys I used to have crushes on in high school would probably be considered ugly/very weird looking by my culture's standards. If I'm attracted to someone's mind/personality then that makes them very attractive to me, regardless of what they look like. I'm aware that this isn't probably that common - it's why I asked if anyone else experienced attraction like that.

I posted some pics of guys in the sexiest male images thread but the attraction is more about movie roles they've played and the persona of the character. I can't disentangle the two. And I find David Beckham to be incredibly unattractive (despite him being conventionally very attractive) because I've seen interviews of him and I really dislike his personality.

Quote Originally Posted by CzeCze View Post
    In short, the only people who says that 'physical appearance doesn't matter' are

1) Folks who accept they are outside mainstream standards of beauty and have either

a) gracefully accepted it and focus on other areas
    That's most likely me. However, it's not like I've always been like this. I relate to Toonia's post most in this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymous View Post
    I guess I don't have a very strong jawbone or cheekbones, and I think I have a really unattractive (and generally strange) voice.
    I don't like commenting on people's physical appearance (I dunno, seems weird, regardless of what my opinion is), but I've heard your voice and I'll just say I totally disagree with your self-assessment.

As for how important they are in other people, eh, that doesn't matter so much to me either. A girl's looks won't make me genuinely like/dislike them, and even if they're typically considered unattractive, I'll generally become physically attracted to them anyway if I like their personality enough.
    That's pretty much what it's like for me, although swap the genders.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I think it's absolute bullshit when people say that looks don't matter to them at all... looks play a huge roll in society- good looking people are less likely to get convicted of a crime, they're more likely to get hired, get positive reactions from people, be helped if in peril and they have a much higher level of self confidence. All of us generally have a certain "look" that attracts us more than others- even if it's only subconsciously, and there's a classical, cross cultural standard of beauty that traces back to evolutionary attraction to people who appear to have the best genes to pass on.

Anyone who's saying that it doesn't matter is probably just lying to make themselves sound like a better person.

I know that sounds rather bitchy and cruel, but it's a subject that I've actually done quite a bit of research on for one of my papers in an honors class a few years ago, and if these facts have been verified by a variety of studies and cultural observations spanning over centuries I don't see how people can claim that they are too distracted looking at people's souls or whatever to notice the appearance of someone.

On another note though- I don't find any poster here to be repulsive lookswise.
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I know that sounds rather bitchy and cruel, but it's a subject that I've actually done quite a bit of research on for one of my papers in an honors class a few years ago, and if these facts have been verified by a variety of studies and cultural observations spanning over centuries I don't see how people can claim that they are too distracted looking at people's souls or whatever to notice the appearance of someone.
    So there was absolutely no deviation in the research you did, huh? Also, I'm not sure if I was one of the people you're referring to, but try really reading what people are saying before coming off so strongly.

MBTI
    INTP

So there was absolutely no deviation in the research you did, huh? Also, I'm not sure if I was one of the people you're referring to, but try really reading what people are saying before coming off so strongly.
    What Anon said.

I tend to not relate to many cultural norms. I suspect that's got a lot to do with having a childhood that was very isolated from mainstream culture.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I think it's absolute bullshit when people say that looks don't matter to them at all... looks play a huge roll in society- good looking people are less likely to get convicted of a crime, they're more likely to get hired, get positive reactions from people, be helped if in peril and they have a much higher level of self confidence. All of us generally have a certain "look" that attracts us more than others- even if it's only subconsciously, and there's a classical, cross cultural standard of beauty that traces back to evolutionary attraction to people who appear to have the best genes to pass on.

Anyone who's saying that it doesn't matter is probably just lying to make themselves sound like a better person.

On another note though- I don't find any poster here to be repulsive lookswise.
    I think you might be assuming that people here are saying looks don't matter at all--what they're saying is that "good" looks don't matter...that they are attracted to a mix of personality and a certain type of look, rather than a the look that society accepts as beautiful/handsome. That personality figures in more than just straight-up physicality.

I do think that looks are more important in general than people want to admit--I remember thinking that when JFK, Jr. died in his plane crash, that if it were Amy Carter, say (or even his sister, Caroline), people wouldn't have been quite so riveted to their tvs. That's terrible to say, but I think it's true.