User Tag List

First 5678917 Last

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5/8
    Socionics
    ENTp None

How long have you thought yourself as being physically attractive and what is it about yourself that you find attractive?

I think I'm above average.

How important are looks?

Stupidly.

Looks tend to formulate the basis of our initial impressions towards each other.

From an instinctual basis, it makes sense to evaluate one's environment, if to realize potential threats; mates; like-minded peoples with whom to communalize one's resources.

Unfortunately, this basic prerogative has taken on a much more complex initiative. How distinctly we view beauty often distorts our global perspective of a subject.

Beauty is then diagrammed into the context of a good/bad scenario, wherein certain traits are uplifted and others vilified.

Within this equation, many who deserve praise are forgotten due to arbitrary cultural friction with inherent phenotypical expression.

How important is it to feel or not feel physically attractive?

As our impressions of the world begin with ourselves, it is unfortunate that physical attractiveness is often highly important to many.

MBTI
    INFj

For those that don't:

How long have you thought yourself as being physically unattractive, and what is it about yourself that you find unattractive?

Since puberty and the arrival of bad skin. It also coincided with a growth spurt that put me at my adult height at the age of 13, and the numerous nasty comments about my face and figure from my peers.

Its not that I consider myself to be terribly ugly, just less than average in the looks department. When I dress up, wear makeup, contact lenses, and have my hair done (for thankfully rare formal occasions), I inevitably get comments from a person who knew me in my teen years, or someone who has never seen me dressed up: "OMG! Do you remember me from _____? You look awesome! I had no idea! I mean, I've seen you ....". It just seems to me to be a terribly backhanded way of saying- 'I'm shocked that you look good. You look terrible normally. Why don't you put in some effort?'. I realize its likely not intended that way. Relatively, yes, I do look better when I try. Most everyone does, which is why the attention drawn to it is rather embarrassing: Yes, I am aware that I look better when I dress to impress and wear makeup. Thanks, Captain Obvious.

Trying to look good usually makes me feel awful.

Do you have issues with your figure, your face, etc.?

I could give a list of things I don't particularly like about myself- (skin, hair, neck, eyebrows, forehead, tummy, legs), but its more of a feeling of 'it could be better', than hating it or really wanting to change it. Objectively, I realize its not that bad.

I'm not uncomfortable with my body. I neither love it nor hate it. Its not hideous, but I don't see it as attractive.

For everybody:

How important are looks?

True, attractive people may have an easier time of getting a job, a better grade, more attention. At the same time, most of us are relatively average people, competing against average people. Some people do have an advantage, all else being equal, but then again, so do tall people, or thin people, or smart people. There are very few people who have every single attribute that other people value. Looks may be a hindrance, especially for women in academic fields. I don't think its usually a defining factor in most people's lives.

Not very, for me personally. Its not something tied deeply into my self esteem. I've mostly made peace with how I look, aside from the occasional semi-insult. I'd like to think that I'm a decent person, with varied interests, talents, a personality that doesn't scare off too many people. Subaverage looks have not stopped me from doing anything, (except performing in beauty pageants etc, which I have no interest in). I realize I don't have an overabundance of self confidence, but I don't think being attractive would be terribly helpful on that account.

Really, would anyone want to be promoted at work because of their looks? Do attractive people wonder if they got their jobs because of their looks? I don't think that would be easy on the self esteem either.

Enneagram
    1w2

I think I'm average looking. The most consistent comment I get is that I'm cute.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    How long have you thought yourself as being physically attractive and what is it about yourself that you find attractive?
    I think I've got a good set of boobs. I'm full-figured, but shapely. I dress fashionably, have good skin, keep my hair styled, manis/pedis, and wear enough makeup to make it look like I'm not wearing any. I work with what I've got and enhance well. Individual features...I've gotten an unusual amount of positive comments that people like the gap between my front teeth ("it's character!!") and I've got sparkly eyes and a friendly smile.

I've gained weight since graduating college two years ago. I sit in a cube/pen all day so I'm pretty sedentary and take lots of bored trips to Starbucks. The weight gain has caused me to lose some of my mojo, but it comes out when I want to bring it out.

How important are looks?
    For me: I care very much about my looks and I consider myself slightly vain. I like looking in the mirror and have to keep myself from looking in the mirror when I pass by one. Whenever I buy clothes the first thought is how does this look on me and the second thought is if I like it or not. I'm kind of glad about it because I have a good feeling I'm not going to be one of those women who lets herself go after she gets a certain age.

For others: I care that people have good personal hygiene and wear clean clothes.

It's important for me to feel that I'm a physically attractive person. Probably about 1/3 of my self-esteem is derived from the way I look. I did ingest a lot of stereotypes about what is beautiful in my culture. Generally, I'm a self-confident person, so I know I've got more going for me than my looks. I've never been too concerned about mainstream beauty aside from the basics. The thing I've gotten the most flak about is cutting off my hair twice to go natural and now I have locs. Luckily I'm an area where this is not a "weird" hairstyle, but when I've gone outside of my area I get comments, like why did I do this to my hair and people wanting to touch and pull my hair.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6

I don't think I'm attractive, no.

How long have you thought yourself as being physically unattractive, and what is it about yourself that you find unattractive?

It is more of a recent thing, really. I never really cared earlier or bothered to make a decision about it, because I knew that I was growing and looks change. But I stopped growing a while ago, and the results aren't terribly attractive. Specifically what do I find about me that's unattractive? Eh, hard to point out specifics, since I'm not even too sure what women find attractive. I guess I don't have a very strong jawbone or cheekbones, and I think I have a really unattractive (and generally strange) voice.

Issues? Not really, no.

How important are looks?

Not very. I try to keep myself looking presentable. As for how important they are in other people, eh, that doesn't matter so much to me either. A girl's looks won't make me genuinely like/dislike them, and even if they're typically considered unattractive, I'll generally become physically attracted to them anyway if I like their personality enough.

As important as the person makes it, I guess. It's not really something I'm bothered about. There's not much I can do with my looks, might as well focus on stuff I can actually improve.

For those that do:

It's hard for me to answer this question. As a child I would say that I was pleasantly pretty though a bit on the plain side mostly because I looked quite 'beige' and a bit washed-out. Light eyes, fair skin, mousy hair, nonexistant eyelashes and brows. When I hit highschool I discovered streaking my hair and makeup and all of a sudden I think I was considered quite "hot". This continued until I had three kids in 4.5 years and gained some weight. It's still there and it's a huge insecurity for me. Working on taking it off right now. I believe that I actually had an undiagnosed eating disorder in HS and in my 20s but that's another story.

Do you like your figure, your face, etc.?

Except for the weight, and slightly stubby legs I think I look OK, especially considering that I'm 43. Though watching yourself get wrinkles is really scary. If I could afford it, after I lose my weight - I might do something about those wrinkles.

How important are looks?

To me - they are not very important at all, but I do tend to think more favorably of people who are well groomed. But you don't have to be good looking.

In general though, looks are incredibly important in society. Attractiveness is a huge plus. I have read studies that attractive people are happier, more confident, have better jobs and make more money!

From my experience, it's feels so much better knowing that you are attractive. It's great for your confidence level.

MBTI
    INTP

For those that do:

I didn't start considering myself attractive until I was over 40. And, even then, it had little to do with what I saw in the mirror and more to do with the way other people began to perceive me. To paraphrase what someone else said, I doubt I'd give myself a second glance.

I've always liked my legs. Figure is alright as long as I'm within a correct weight range.

And I've always been told I had beautiful eyes. Not in the pick-up line sense, but genuinely. The oddest time was this past winter. I was being prepped for surgery and sort of just staring at the ceiling, trying to put myself in a trance state. The nurse who came in to check on me was all business and then blurted out "You have the most beautiful eyes." Huh? What do you say to that?

All in all though, I think I look best in dim light. Perhaps in a trenchcoat, leaning against a lamp post. With a fedora.

For those that don't:

I spent most of my life feeling below average in the looks department. I was never cute. But that just made me develop other attributes to compensate. I was never teased or bullied and got along with just about all the social cliques - something of a chameleon.

Most of all, being one of the smartest kids more than made up for not being prom queen.

I have mornings now when I look in the mirror and can't believe other people think I'm even passable. When I was about 35 my best friend told me that people would either find me plain or gorgeous. I think that about sums it up.

The nose could be less prominent but it's not something I obsess about.

For everybody:

How important are looks?
    There are some people I look at when not in a generous mood and think "not in a million years." But I don't know them. I can't think of anyone I know and like that I don't see as somewhat attractive. So, looks are and aren't important. Even if there isn't a lot to work with, my mind will pick up on something and magnify it because I want to see them as good-looking.

Well, it's a hell of a mood-enhancer. And when I have to do something I'd rather not I take special care with dress, makeup, etc. Because if I'm going to fall flat on my face, I at the very least would like to do it with a little style.

MBTI
    INtP

For those that don't:

It's not so much that I consider myself particularly unattractive, more just "meh." The best way to describe it is that an online friend, after meeting me for the first time, described me as "you're... not bad." I wasn't particularly surprised to hear it. In particular, I have not-so-great skin, big ears/nose, off-center features, and I could stand to lose a few pounds (not a lot, but some). I will add that even though I don't consider myself attractive, I think I'm aging okay - I probably look better than I did 5-10 years ago, for instance (mostly due to working a LOT harder at staying in shape).

For everybody:

How important are looks?

I think that looks are important only in that they can be a large factor, consciously or unconsciously, in first impressions -- and hence interactions with strangers or people that we don't know well. Unfortunately, this can be significant. The more you get to know someone, the less it matters. I do think it's important to feel attracted to someone you're in a relationship with, but looks are only a part of that. On any number of occasions I've been not strongly attracted to someone at first, then more attracted to them as I got to know them (or vice versa). I suspect this is pretty normal.

For me, feeling physically attractive is something I'd like, but I'm not expecting it to happen. I'm really pretty comfortable the way I am -- it's not a major part of my self-image, and I'm close enough to average that I don't ellicit comment on my looks. That's good enough. I'd much rather be called plain, goofy-looking, or "meh" than boring, dull, uninteresting, or stupid.

Although if you call me "Dumbo" (it's happened before) - I'm going to assume you're talking about my ears .

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    It's not so much that I consider myself particularly unattractive, more just "meh." The best way to describe it is that an online friend, after meeting me for the first time, described me as "you're... not bad." I wasn't particularly surprised to hear it. In particular, I have not-so-great skin, big ears/nose, off-center features, and I could stand to lose a few pounds (not a lot, but some). I will add that even though I don't consider myself attractive, I think I'm aging okay - I probably look better than I did 5-10 years ago, for instance (mostly due to working a LOT harder at staying in shape).
    Kelric, I think you're a cute guy. You have kind eyes and a youthful look and I am shit at compliments but hopefully you get the idea. And for the record I'm not flirting, just stating facts.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

Do you think you are physically attractive?

Some days I think I'm ok, other days I think I'm really unattractive. It depends. See below.

I was plagued with really really low confidence throughout my youth, and into the start of college. I started feeling (and kinda looking, in my opinion) really ugly/unattractive in junior high. Yes, I know pretty much everyone says that, but objectively, I was really scrawny, undeveloped, totally geeky, *bad skin*, and, well, my features aren't typical beauty anyway. I know that. My family wasn't terribly affirming, so I never really felt attractive -- because I never heard anyone say it. And obviously I didn't believe it myself. Truly I felt like a toad, growing up. Major image issues.

I still have image issues that come at times, although it's not nearly as bad as it used to be. It's something that's been with me so long that I can't fully let go of it. So I have an underlying insecurity, that's for sure. But I'm much, much more confident and accepting of myself now, as opposed to how I was growing up.

I like my figure now. I think it's great. I've always had issues with my face and my hair. And pre-college, I had issues with my figure as well -- primarily because I didn't have one.

How important are looks?
    I don't know the context you're asking this about. (Also haven't read anyone elses responses yet! Might have to come back and edit this part once I have!) Looks come into play in all sorts of scenarios. It's kinda a given in life -- social settings, work, how we consciously or subconsciously view others or ourselves, impressions, attraction, etc etc. But they're definitely just the 'icing'/surface of everyone (obviously) -- looks don't do a whole lot in the long run if there aren't any redeeming/interesting personality traits underneath it all. I've written elsewhere, but in the romantic context, if I think someone is attractive before meeting them, and then find their personality to be repulsive, they immediately become physically unattractive and repulsive in my eyes. And the reverse can hold true as well.

I like to feel good about myself, and to feel healthy. So I will always strive to stay fit. I think that is important. And, well, although I'm not exactly pleased about it, how I feel about my attractiveness definitely has bearing on my confidence. Like I said earlier, it's something I have had an impossible time getting fully rid of -- the fact that a portion of my self-confidence, and therefore sense of self, has direct links to my appearance and how attractive I feel I am.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

We all got it comin' kid Delilah's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by cascademn View Post
    Do you think you are physically attractive?

Some days I think I'm ok, other days I think I'm really unattractive. It depends. See below.
    I met her, she is physically attractive and I am a straight chick.
    *clinging to my face like a starfish of love* ....... PinkPiranha