User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post

How important is it to feel or not feel physically attractive?

I guess it can be important-ish... I mean it sorta depends what you're trying to achieve and with whom. But even outside of romantic/sexual intentions, people still do tend to respond more favourably to good looking people than otherwise. It can help a person to feel confident if they believe people are, generally, responding to them positively.
    I'm kinda curious to know how much emphasis others place on how people look. I know I judge people by what clothes they wear and whether they're into self-grooming - but that's kind of more of a reflection of the inner person for me, rather than physical attractiveness which is largely something out of people's control. If that makes sense.

I agree with the bit I bolded, and I think that's important. But I guess I hold mind/personality above all else - physical attractiveness is less important to me. I'm not sure if that's a widespread POV, though. I know a few people who feel the same way about it as me, but maybe we're in the minority. (and apologies if this might seem to be a derail but I think it comes under 'How important is it to feel physically attractive')
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    ENTP

yes and no.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainChick View Post
    How long have you thought yourself as being physically attractive and what is it about yourself that you find attractive?
    The only thing I can say definitively that I like about my appearance is my frame.

Do you like your figure, your face, etc.?
    I like my figure more than my face. My face could be prettier if I wore more makeup, but I think it's good enough most of the time as is. Plus, makeup costs money that I'd rather spend on something else and I'm lazy.

How long have you thought yourself as being physically unattractive, and what is it about yourself that you find unattractive?
    There are aspects of myself that I find unattractive, but each one suggests a "but at least.." alternative that would be worse in my mind...which is why I can't flatly say I'm just attractive or unattractive either way.

For example: My high forehead could be considered unattractive, and I'm sure lots of people would agree, but all I have to say is "Note the low forehead, denoting stupidity. The dull look of a trapped animal"

Do you have issues with your figure, your face, etc.?
    No, I'm perfect.
    How important are looks?

I think if I'm in a relationship it's important to feel attractive, but I don't think there's any point outside of that.

My grandpa had an evil sense of humor and used to tell my mom that he didn't know how she and my dad managed to have such good-looking kids. The comment didn't seem to bother her, I'm sure she knew he was joking, and I respect that. It's only personal if you let it be.
    I don't wanna!

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by bluebell View Post
    If I'm overweight, then that. But it's just a general overall thing, not any particular features. It's more just that I'm aware that I don't look much like what's considered physically attractive by most people.
    Most people are mindless drones that know nothing but what the media feeds them. Based on pictures I recall from INTPc, you're very pretty and you have a great body shape.

If I'm overweight, then sometimes that bugs me. Otherwise, I don't really have any issues with any part of me, it's not something I think about that much. I try to buy clothes that are flattering to my figure and I make the effort to keep my hair looking tamed and look after my skin, but that's about as far as I go with caring about it.
    That's more than most INTPs worry about.

I don't feel any need to feel physically attractive. It would be nice if I was, I guess - but I've accepted that I'm not.
    I must respectfully disagree with your self-assessment.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

How long have you thought yourself as being physically attractive and what is it about yourself that you find attractive?

Since mid-high school. Before that I was a damn ugly kid (old photos are terrible). I think I have a nice enough face, sometimes I feel pretty and sometimes like a freak. I've liked my figure a lot for the past few years, since it's pretty much literally my ideal. The only thing I would change is become a tiny bit more toned, which I'm working on.

How important are looks? In what context? I think some studies have found that attractive people tend to be more well-liked (ON AVERAGE) and be more successful as a result. Looks are also important for many people when choosing a partner. For me they are definitely a factor, though not by any means the only one, or the most important.

How important is it to feel or not feel physically attractive? It's important for me to feel attractive because it contributes to my happiness. I can't speak for anyone else, and wouldn't presume to tell random people how they should feel.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    SUB! Where ya been?!?
    precisely what i was thinking!
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

Oberon

I was super in-shape in high school, and stayed pretty fit for a few years after that. By junior year, though, I'd achieved some belly flab and was getting big round cheeks that said "Overweight!" to me in the mirror. I've still got them... I could lose 40 pounds without being too thin.

I guess during freshman year of college I was pretty good-looking, not model material but not bad. After that it was all downhill because I like pleasure too much, and my most regular pleasure was and is food.

MBTI
    intp

Yes.

For those that do:

Part of high school and college. I used to get teased for skinniness, long legs, big eyes, etc. In other words, there were some Jealous haters.
    I like most aspects of my appearance. I have sensitive skin, so it can be an expensive chore to keep it clear. I have to be careful what I put on it. I have to make sure I get enough sleep. I have to watch my water and vitamin intake. Annoying, but it is worth it.

Do you like your figure, your face, etc.?
    Yes, they don't look like everybody else but all in all the job gets done. Yet I am not the one who has to look at them, so I'll say that it appears others like them too. Like most people, I have my OMG run away! days and then I have my foxy lady! days, but on the whole I can't complain.

How important are looks?
    It is amusing how people are falling all over themselves to say how unimportant looks are to them. I am impressed if this is true, as there is enormous emphasis on looks from so many quarters. Beautiful people get more love and care than plain or ugly people. Sad but true.
    Science Netlinks: Science Updates
    Do looks really matter? - Dateline NBC - MSNBC.com
    Beautycheck - social perception

As a society, we do treat people differently based on how they look. We are taught that it is important. If you are constantly told that your worth lies in your beauty, then you feel it is important, if not to you internally, then to how you are treated and how far you can go. To make it worse, it is not just beauty as you perceive it, but in a particular form that you are constantly told to perceive it and as you are told everyone else perceives it.
    It takes a lot of effort and will power to be able to say to the homogenizers of the beauty ideal to suck it. I applaud those who truly overcome that kind of daily assault on the self-esteem.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by IF3157 View Post

How important are looks?
    It is amusing how people are falling all over themselves to say how unimportant looks are to them. I am impressed if this is true, as there is enormous emphasis on looks from so many quarters. Beautiful people get more love and care than plain or ugly people. Sad but true.
    Science Netlinks: Science Updates
    Do looks really matter? - Dateline NBC - MSNBC.com
    Beautycheck - social perception
    Ugly people have jobs and relationships, don't they? I know that physical attractiveness is advantageous in areas other than just sex, but it's not an absolute advantage. And I can honestly say I don't make friends based on their looks. I have had some very plain looking friends over the years, but they were smart or cool or had a good sense of humor. I'm not going to have sex with my friends, why should I care?
    I don't wanna!

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    SUB! Where ya been?!?
    Oh y'know, just... around
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    Ugly people have jobs and relationships, don't they? I know that physical attractiveness is advantageous in areas other than just sex, but it's not an absolute advantage. And I can honestly say I don't make friends based on their looks. I have had some very plain looking friends over the years, but they were smart or cool or had a good sense of humor. I'm not going to have sex with my friends, why should I care?
    I don't understand why you think I say you should care.... I admire people who can get past the superficial. But the simple ability to have jobs and relationships is not material. Truth is, attractiveness does affect both relationships and job prospects. It was interesting to me that people say looks don't matter to them when it matters a lot to people generally. MBTIc attracts some different people perhaps. So who are these people to who interpret information based on looks?