User Tag List

Page 14 of 30 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you think you are physically attractive?

8w9 sp/sx

I do.
    My lips and build
    my eyes
    I N V I C T U S

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Magic Poriferan View Post
    Oh, thanks. I'm not sure I've thought about myself in a vampire-esque way too often. I'm open, though.

Really? I've heard a lot of people say that the correlation between diet and acne is exaggerated. What changes did you make?

Yeah, I know. I guess I'm always trying to maximize myself. I feel like it's a very competitive world, and I want to be the best of everything I can be.
    I switched to an 85% non-vegan raw food diet. I eat raw seafood for protein and b12. I consume a very balanced diet, so I never encountered losing too much weight, which is usually the number one concern for most people. You can eat most of what you already enjoy. It's just things like burgers/pasta are made differently. I believe the success of specific diets is highly individual to the person's body chemistry. Raw food worked for me, but it may not work for for Joe Schmoe. I think as long as your acidic and alkaline levels are equal, your dietary habits are fine. Many people are actually just deficient in proper nutrition and they have no idea. I.E. Vitamins. Minerals. Amino Acids. So, any diet that can fully meet your nutritional needs is adequate. I also use to drink water very sparingly. Now, it's pretty much all I drink, aside from smoothies and fresh juice.

Self improvement to a certain extent is always helpful. Just for your very own growth, if nothing else. There's only so far someone can naturally change their appearance without plastic surgery. Have you ever thought that maybe some people prefer pale/thin over other aesthetic qualities? Your supposed faults might be exactly what another person thinks is the most attractive, to the exclusion of other types.

If your in a romantic relationship, that person should really only have eyes for you. It's human to notice other people, but if the person your dating thinks they should be with someone different looking, they don't deserve you in the first place. I think it's folly to date someone your not completely into anyway. It's a waste of time for both parties. Don't negate someone's interest in you. If someone is dating you, your most likely their very first choice.

filling some space Array UnitOfPopulation's Avatar

Hmm, I missed one part. Asking whether looks are important, I forgot about other people's looks

I don't think much about myself, but I've really freaked out from being seen with ugly people in the past, and avoided it with all my means. I've also obsessed about seeing only the most beautiful women in the past.

I've balanced quite a lot, but looks are still an important part of a person for me. Still, it's more like that someone looking good is great, but I don't mind about them looking bad, either. I don't think of people though their looks anymore. It's more about what they have to say, what they think, what they can contribute to the society, and what kind of a person they are as a whole.

Read that twice before blaming me. I said I was a good-looks-elitist, but ain't anymore.

only bites when provoked Array

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    The problem with this is that it just becomes a thread that is dedicated to people fishing for compliments, which I think is sort of lame.
    You're the only one fishing.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

insert random title here Array Randomnity's Avatar
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    I think learning about people's view of themselves is more interesting than whether or not others think they are attractive. But that's just my opinion.
    I completely agree, actually. I just think it's also interesting to see how the two are related. Adding information, not taking anything away. But it's not my thread, I was only commenting.

To the top of the world Array arcticangel02's Avatar

How long have you thought yourself as being physically attractive and what is it about yourself that you find attractive?

I have good days and bad days. Sometimes I feel like, "My gosh, I really am beautiful!" and other times I just want to hide away from the world and not go out. Ever. On average, though, I don't know. I guess I judge my physical attractiveness on how other people respond to me - I do receive the occasional compliment, but it still surprises me when someone does mention something. And how do I know what is a normal level of compliments? How many of the compliments I recieve are genuine, and how many are just being nice? It's obviously difficult to answer, because I've never been anyone other than me, so I have nothing to compare it to.

I think, on average, I am fairly good looking. I suspect I am better looking in person than in photos (I believe animation and a smile makes everyone look better), but then when people say 'Oh, that's a good photo!' about one you really don't like - then does that mean you normally look worse than that? I am much more photogenic than I used to be, however. Any photos taken between the ages of about 11 to 17 are really quite awful. (I wore glasses, had crooked teeth (then later braces), perpetually bad hair. Yep.)

So, I have no idea, really.

Do you like your figure, your face, etc.?

I am a lucky girl with a speedy metabolism and thus am quite skinny - my beautiful sister is always moaning about how jealous she is! And I have nice blue eyes (and long lashes!) which I'm pretty pleased with. I also have a really pale skin, which is sometimes great but mostly not. The last couple of years I've been struck with a bit of acne (which is really really obvious on my skin), which is probably my main issue with how I look at the moment. I feel so much more confident when my skin is clear, and really rather unconfident when it isn't. I'm hoping it will clear up soon and I'll be free of the worry!

Other than that, my ears stick out. Sometimes I think they need to be hidden at all costs. Other times I muse that they actually compliment my looks. I suppose it's one of those things that some people would like and others wouldn't.

How important are looks?

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    I think that looks are important only in that they can be a large factor, consciously or unconsciously, in first impressions -- and hence interactions with strangers or people that we don't know well. Unfortunately, this can be significant. The more you get to know someone, the less it matters.
    Kelric puts it as well as I could - with superficial dealings and first impressions, it is naturally quite important. Once I get to know someone, however, I barely even notice how 'good looking' or otherwise they are. Personality almost entirely overtakes looks in determining my opinion of that person. But there's no doubt that first impressions affect things, and especially initially, opinions of people are (unfortunately) very much dictated by looks.

In being attracted to people - initially I'm quite clinical. I'll observe the eligible males and mentally rule them out if they aren't good looking enough or I hear they have a girlfriend or a number of other reasons. Then I'm left with a few that I primly decide, should they ask me out, I will accept. Obnoxious, I know.

But strangely (or not so strangely), as I get to know them better, my initial decisions really don't have any impact at all. Someone I may have ruled out will catch my attention again, and by the time I have a crush, it really doesn't matter at all. ^^

How important is it to feel or not feel physically attractive?

I think it's really quite important, regardless of how 'conventionally attractive' you may or may not be - especially for self-confidence - if you believe you're attractive, you will walk around with your head held high and behave as if you're attractive. And invariably, that will attract people to you. Self-esteem is a fragile thing, as it is, and if you have to cope with the additional battering ram of not being good looking, it can be dreadful, and hinder you in other areas of life.
    Extraversion (52%) ---- Introversion (48%)
    Sensing (26%) ---- iNtuition (74%)
    Thinking (16%) ---- Feeling (84%)
    Judging (5%) ---- Perceiving (95%)

9w1 so/sx/sp

4 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by colmena View Post
    I usually become attracted to someone (post the superficial) after spending some time with them. It could be the way they smile, or the sound of their voice. They don't need to be conventionally attractive, but being in a frame normality helps. I guess that's how I want people to feel about me. Looks will change, I don't think idiosyncrasies ever will.

almost half a doctor Array phoenix13's Avatar

As with every other characteristic of my existence, I've held conflicting opinions of my appearace all my life (until recently): what I think, and what I think others think.

As a kidlet, I remember looking in the mirror and finding myself gorgeous. Nevertheless, I thought I was unattractive because no one my age said so.
    Same thing as a teenager, only it was because no guys asked me out (except "losers" ...and one kid with downs syndrome...).

Then in college I got asked out, and told I was gorgeous, but looked in the mirror and thought I was ugly.

Now this year, I've decided that I am aesthetically pleasing (the way an abstract painting is pleasing... independent of what the media portrays as beautiful)... maybe not breathtaking, but nice. It is now, however, that I'm getting more compliments than ever, and dudes are flirting quite a bit.

I don't really know how to spin that into a theory. Use it as you wish.

Oh, and I suspect that in many cases, being physically attractive is a greater issue/ more important to women than men because men seem to be more "turned on" visually. Male visual sexuality may cause female attentiveness to appearance by instinct (ie evolution) or maybe subconsciously... like we sense them judging us (they're attentive, so we're attentive). I dunno. I'm tired.

I think I look good. Probably average on the societal scale. Too thin for some, I'm sure, but as long as I'm clean and maintain a little regular exercise I feel comfortable and confident.
    Christ, what an imagination I've got!

Permabanned Array
    5w6 sp/sx

Do you think you are physically attractive?

The answer is that I'm not sure if I'm physically attractive. Up until a couple of years ago, I've never really thought about it. I'm not entirely sure what constitutes being physically attractive.

Based on the HOT or NOT application on Facebook, I seem to rank average or maybe slightly below.

I'm built and a bit out of shape, but I don't know if that's the only thing that would constitute as physically unattractive. I'm not obese or anything, and maybe I'm not even overweight for someone of my large bone structure, I'm just out of shape. People who see my pictures have commented on how I am rather skinny, so maybe I'm not as fat as I think.

I also have had an acne problem since my teenage years and I never thought to take care of it until quite recently. I must say that this problem is being solved nicely with OXY acne soap.

As for anything else, I'd love to know what about me is attractive or is not, physically or mentally.

How long have you thought yourself as being physically unattractive, and what is it about yourself that you find unattractive?

Well, like I said, until relatively recently, physical attractiveness was not something I was actively interested in. In high school and in the beginning part of college, I never noticed girls in a sexual or romantic way. I never even had an interest in friendships with others aside from chatting about business. My whole life consisted of going to school and then coming home to play on the computer or watch movies or play video games.

I can't pinpoint the exact time of my life where I started worrying about physical attractiveness or lack thereof. I guess when I started interacting with others on a job and got introduced to MySpace, I started to realize that I missed out on a lot of things that other people did and started feeling like a huge loser.

I was a typical NT pupil who was involved in my own intellectual and imaginative pursuits so much so that I never cared about relating to others.

Anyway, on MySpace, I got approached by some people who lived either far away or were just interested in networking. I never got the vibe that anyone found me attractive. The most I got was a "Hey Hottie!" flirt and stuff like that. And I am naturally skeptical of all compliments that are devoid of reasons. For some reason, positive feedback never sinks into my head.

Do you have issues with your figure, your face, etc.?

I don't know that I have issues with my figure, face, etc., but I'm more concerned with how other people perceive me, physically, mentally, and behaviorially. But again, this is something I've only recently become conscientious of. And like I said, positive feedback of attraction, skill, intellect, etc., tends not to sink through my head for very long.

How important are looks?

I'm not going to lie, they are important. But for me, it's not as simple as slim/slender being beautiful or obese being ugly. It's much more complicated than that.

I find that I tend to notice facial beauty, but what I define as beauty is not what society defines as beauty. I have a definition of physical beauty that can't really be measured. I guess, by society's standards, I'm attracted to what is considered average. But I'm not sure, sometimes I might find someone attractive and who the majority of society finds attractive. On the other hand, I may find someone attractive but who everyone else finds unattractive.

I also find that I'm attracted to girls with an inverted triangular face, probably because it tends to imply the aura of intelligence or a person who engages mental faculties, since the top of the head is bigger than the bottom. But of course, I am generalizing.

How important is it to feel or not feel physically attractive?

I'm not sure how attractive I should be or what others define as attractive. I'm actually more concerned with how attractive others perceive me, not just physically, but again, mentally, as well.

EDIT: Here's a picture of me:

Last edited by The Ü™; 07-16-2008 at 01:48 PM.