User Tag List

First 8910111220 Last

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    [B]
    How important are looks?

Stupidly.

Looks tend to formulate the basis of our initial impressions towards each other.

From an instinctual basis, it makes sense to evaluate one's environment, if to realize potential threats; mates; like-minded peoples with whom to communalize one's resources.

Unfortunately, this basic prerogative has taken on a much more complex initiative. How distinctly we view beauty often distorts our global perspective of a subject.

Beauty is then diagrammed into the context of a good/bad scenario, wherein certain traits are uplifted and others vilified.

Within this equation, many who deserve praise are forgotten due to arbitrary cultural friction with inherent phenotypical expression.
    QFT.
    *Goes back to watching her favorite bigoted Disney movies*
    though really you only need tune into today's media to see the same thing.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    Hair color can also change people's reaction towards you. On this forum I'd say brunettes and red heads would win a hair color contest over blonds by a landslide.
    Too bad. I'm a non blonde. I used to have platinum blond hair in my youth but it faded and so I dyed it darker, then lighter, experimenting. But I could never get it back to the original shade.

While I was maintaining my hair I had a really good hair stylist though. He was the bestmanever with haircuts and colour. God the beautiful updos I'll never forget, and the way he trimmed my bangs - I mean he did it all. I think the best cut he gave me was a shag. Remember the old shag haircuts? All you had to do was kinda tousle it with your hand and you were good to go.

After that I grew it out and he used a spiral curler to give it some body and made it look kind of feminine which I really loved. And though he used a curling instrument on it it still looked quite natural. Oh well enough about my hair. Sorry for hijacking your thread. I won't do it again. Promise.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Whatever: Did you ever encounter the research that shows that average is more attractive than extremes? Combining a large number of faces of different people of a specific gender results in an attractive face. That's why we're treated better when among people of similar genetic ancestry than we are when among those that are not.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.

MBTI
    INTP

In view of how others treat me, I'd guess I'm cute.

How long have you thought yourself as being physically attractive and what is it about yourself that you find attractive?

I never thought of myself as attractive. But girls have had "crushes" on me since middle school. I remember overhearing one girl I worked with say of me, "he was a dork in grade school, but now he's cute."

Do you like your figure, your face, etc.?

I can't complain. (I wouldn't mind an additional 15 lbs. of muscle though.)

How important are looks?

Important for what? If you're looking to be an underwear model, then they're important. If you're looking to be happy, then they aren't important.

How important is it to feel or not feel physically attractive?

Again, important for what?

You neither need to think nor feel that you are physically attractive in order to know and feel that you are a good person, worthy of being treated with dignity and respect.

MBTI
    istp

Pff, I was born physically attractive.
    No offense.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Minako-bot View Post
    Oh my. Let me tell you, your gorgeous. In a very vampire-esque way. Which is definitely hot. ^.~
    Oh, thanks. I'm not sure I've thought about myself in a vampire-esque way too often. I'm open, though.

I would get acne every now and then before I changed my diet. I haven't had any issues since.
    Really? I've heard a lot of people say that the correlation between diet and acne is exaggerated. What changes did you make?

I'm really sorry you feel so bad about your looks. I mean, it's not about "settling". There is only one of you. That in itself is very beautiful and can't be replaced. Looks are only one very small part of what makes a romantic relationship work.
    Yeah, I know. I guess I'm always trying to maximize myself. I feel like it's a very competitive world, and I want to be the best of everything I can be.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Whatever: Did you ever encounter the research that shows that average is more attractive than extremes? Combining a large number of faces of different people of a specific gender results in an attractive face. That's why we're treated better when among people of similar genetic ancestry than we are when among those that are not.
    Yes- there's quite a bit of research on that out there!

Also, we like people with very symmetrical faces apparently.

here's a site that talks about that somewhat for your enjoyment!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

MBTI
    yupp

For those that don't:

How long have you thought yourself as being physically unattractive, and what is it about yourself that you find unattractive? Most of my life, I my teeth and my eye brows, plus I was called ugly for most of my childhood by my brother. Who now claims he said that to get a rise out of me. It stuck, more then my parents or anyone else calling me beautiful.

Do you have issues with your figure, your face, etc.?
    not my figure though my boobs are too small
    For everybody:

How important are looks?
    not too important, but more then I probably pretend cuz I still think I'm ugly
    How important is it to feel or not feel physically attractive? depends on the situation if I'm in class or alone or traveling who gives a fuck? if I'm going out to a party or a bar or club they are more important.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    I've even tried this at the gym. If I go with light makeup, nice hair and nice gym attire, people are chattier (including staff) and more accommodating. If I go as plain jane it's almost as if I'm invisible.
    I'm certainly not denying the truth of your statement, but I wonder if the extra engagement from others is at least in part due to how you perceive yourself within the context of the situation. I know that when I go out looking "good," I am more likely to engage in conversation with others or smile and make eye contact, which may make me appear more inviting. When I think that I look terrible, I dread attention and try to avoid it as much as possible.

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    I'm certainly not denying the truth of your statement, but I wonder if the extra engagement from others is at least in part due to how you perceive yourself within the context of the situation. I know that when I go out looking "good," I am more likely to engage in conversation with others or smile and make eye contact, which may make me appear more inviting. When I think that I look terrible, I dread attention and try to avoid it as much as possible.
    I thought of that when posting my response and I'm sure there's some truth in that. There's really no way for me to know for sure unless I looked the same all the time. I also usually avoid small talk with people whether I look decent or not unless I'm out with a friend(s) or working. I've noticed that most extroverted people will talk to you no matter what you look like (they just can't help themselves) more so than an introverted person.
    Time is a delicate mistress.