User Tag List

123 Last

Society

Default picking favorites: how do people do this?

i don't have a favorite color.
    i don't have a favorite food.
    i don't have a favorite pet species.
    the music that i like are from all sorts of genres.
    same with books, games, movies, etc...
    ...i don't even have a favorite coding language and that's my fucking profession...

my mind has plenty of things to say about almost anything, and yet how it ranks in my world view is rarely one of them.

picking their favorite things, how do people do this?

when there is no distinct reason that something is actually better, more effective at achieving something, then how can you determine it ranks higher then something else?

I think you're overthinking it. It's not about what's more effective or objectively better; that's a fool's errand. It's just how something hits you.

For instance, red is my favorite color, and I'm not wishy-washy about it at all. Red isn't inherently better than other colors by any metric. It just pleases me to look at. Veal parmesan is my favorite food. I can't mount an argument why it's the best food, and I have no interest in doing so; that's just what I will eat given a choice of anything I want.

Free yourself of the need for a reason and you'll understand.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

How do you NOT do this? It's pretty easy and automatic.

If you're having trouble (which it seems you are), then maybe you need to look into why you are suppressing your own intuitive (not iNtuitive) preferences and looking outward for external measures of value. Why would you need a "distinct reason" like effectiveness or efficiency to validate what you like?

I've known people who say shit like this, and they're usually insecure.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Hmmm. Very strong Ne dominant and having very little Si or Fi development?

How can you not? I am with @Orangey on that. I had a favorite color and a favorite food when I was three. I've been obsessed with cats since I was about eight or nine.

I don't know how people don't do these things, though I have developed a more "varietal" preference toward foods, I don't necessarily have one favorite food, but I still have strongly preferred types of foods, and how they're prepared, which may be Se? IDK.

I can relate @Mane.

Certain foods or colors or whatnot definitely appeal to me more than others on a sensory level, but none seem to come out as the clear winner. If someone asks me I usually just say how hard it is to pick just one and then list out a few that I like A LOT

MBTI
    estj
    Enneagram
    378 sx/so
    Socionics
    esfp

release of dopamine in conjunction with various stimuli
    For all that we have done, as a civilization, as individuals, the universe is not stable, and nor is any single thing within it. Stars consume themselves, the universe itself rushes apart, and we ourselves are composed of matter in constant flux. Colonies of cells in temporary alliance, replicating and decaying and housed within, an incandescent cloud of electrical impulses. This is reality, this is self knowledge, and the perception of it will, of course, make you dizzy.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

picking their favorite things, how do people do this?
    Usually unconsciously, but you should be able to figure out your own favorites by asking yourself the right questions.

e.g. "If I were forced to select just one food to eat for a certain period of time (let's say a week), and assuming health isn't a concern, which food would I pick?"
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    though I have developed a more "varietal" preference toward foods, I don't necessarily have one favorite food, but I still have strongly preferred types of foods, and how they're prepared.
    see, i do have that. likewise i can tell you which colors i like for clothes (because i look good in it), i can tell you which colors i might want for a room in an area of a house (because it has X affect on me), and i can tell you which colors i like to write in (red because it stands out more) & on what paper (light yellow, because it calms me), and what color theme i like for my laptop (wood, cause it's my pirate ship). all of those have a because, and all of those are contextually achieving something that i want. but for the life of me, i can't tell you which is my favorite color.

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Usually unconsciously, but you should be able to figure out your own favorites by asking yourself the right questions.

e.g. "If I were forced to select just one food to eat for a certain period of time (let's say a week), and assuming health isn't a concern, which food would I pick?"
    a mixed seafood paella, because then i can focus on different items on it each time and not go insane form lack of diversity.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    a mixed seafood paella, because then i can focus on different items on it each time and not go insane form lack of diversity.
    That's cheating!

Anyways, I think most 'favorites' should be taken with a grain of salt. If asked, I'd say my favorite color is black, but that's mostly for clothes and shoes. I like my walls white. For cars, I like grey. Etc.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------