User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    I can relate @Mane.

Certain foods or colors or whatnot definitely appeal to me more than others on a sensory level, but none seem to come out as the clear winner. If someone asks me I usually just say how hard it is to pick just one and then list out a few that I like A LOT
    Yeah, this. I have a few strong preferences but I need some variety to keep enjoying things consistently.

I have no idea. I never really stick with anything for a long time, I tend to get obsessed with certain things (a color, snack, etc.) and forget about them in around 2 weeks. I have a few favorites that have lasted most of my life though. Like the Harry Potter series being my favorite books, cats being my favorite animals, and blueberry crumble being my favorite dessert.
    I really like cats and food.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

+1

I stopped even trying to choose favorites once I noticed how they change every week, day and month. Now I just say that my favorite place is a new place, my favorite color is one I haven't used in a while, my favorite show is what I've chosen to watch, my favorite activity is whatever catches my eye...there are pros and cons to being this way, but I don't think there's anything wrong with you. Honestly, hard preferences put me off.

MBTI
    IsFJ

Do you often feel you have to explain to a hypothetical someone why you prefer X to Y, even when it doesn't actually concern anyone but yourself?

Or is it more like the Buridan's Ass paradox?
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Quote Originally Posted by Mane View Post
    see, i do have that. likewise i can tell you which colors i like for clothes (because i look good in it), i can tell you which colors i might want for a room in an area of a house (because it has X affect on me), and i can tell you which colors i like to write in (red because it stands out more) & on what paper (light yellow, because it calms me), and what color theme i like for my laptop (wood, cause it's my pirate ship). all of those have a because, and all of those are contextually achieving something that i want. but for the life of me, i can't tell you which is my favorite color.
    Well favorite color can change. When I was a small child, it was pink. PINK BEDROOM WALLS. PINK BUNNIES. PINK CLOTHES. PINK CAKE. I even felt like I was betraying my allegiance to pink because I loved chocolate ice cream so much more than strawberry. I recall having this conversation with my sister on the sliding swing one afternoon when I was about four.

By high school, I was more fond of purple and black, hideous things I wouldn't even consider now. I think that was just the "finding myself, developing my identity phase" or something, because I think by 17 or 18 I'd settled back down into pastels and brown neutrals.

I still like pastels in my bedroom, like pink, blue, sea green, and I tend to choose blue and green a lot over anything, because I find them soothing.

That doesn't stop me from loving a dramatic red and black dining room, or that kind of terra cotta orange Italian tile.

You seem a bit overly concerned with this phenomenon.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

i don't have a favorite color.
    i don't have a favorite food.
    i don't have a favorite pet species.
    the music that i like are from all sorts of genres.
    same with books, games, movies, etc...
    ...i don't even have a favorite coding language and that's my fucking profession...

my mind has plenty of things to say about almost anything, and yet how it ranks in my world view is rarely one of them.

picking their favorite things, how do people do this?

when there is no distinct reason that something is actually better, more effective at achieving something, then how can you determine it ranks higher then something else?
    I always rank things, so this is pretty much automatic. When I'm on vacation, I'll say this vacation is better than vacation X and Y but not as good as A and B. Vacation H was the worst and second worst was I. The top three are M, N and P with N being the best. When I was in high school, I had a ranking for the best looking women in my class - 1 through 5. It's the way my mind works - always comparing things and ranking things. I rank my favorite clients to work or. I have my favorite type of car. I have my favorite pair of pants. Back when I was a programmer, I had a favorite coding language too.

There is no distinct immediate reason or logic - there is just a decision. I can go back and come up with reasons after the fact to explain it to people. It's what I've done much of my life. When I was younger and people asked me the reason for my decisions (or opinions), I couldn't easily come up with an answer. As I got older, I got much better at either communicating concrete reasons or coming up with ones that sounded good. I will say that I enjoy having the discussions on the good or bad points of one thing vs. another and it does sometimes change the ordering a little.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Society

Quote Originally Posted by Marmotini View Post
    You seem a bit overly concerned with this phenomenon.
    to cross the bridge keeper ofcourse:

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    There is no distinct immediate reason or logic - there is just a decision.
    just that - how do you do that?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

to cross the bridge keeper ofcourse:

just that - how do you do that?
    I have no idea. I just like ranking things and it's automatic. Take my pants. My favorite ones are a nice color, look great and the texture and feel of the material is just right. They are very comfortable and fit well. I have blue ones that are supposed to be the same kind but they don't feel the same way. A lot of it is comfort I guess. I don't think about any of that logically though unless someone were to ask me. The criteria for a car is that it looks awesome, is comfortable, fast, takes corners like it's on rails and it's a convertible. There is the sound of the engine that's important. It's the visceral appeal. It starts with how it looks then it is the experience of driving it. I suppose it could not be a convertible. There are just of these different things that add up somehow.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

WALMART

In my opinion, the late 80's-early 90's grunge wave produced the most technical, heaviest sound I've ever heard. I am not coincidentally well versed in this era of music, ergo it is a logical decision to state a band such as Soundgarden (who is the most unique, diverse, historically rich band from the era) as my favorite, when prodded. It is a gateway to sharing something I am dearly fond of with others, and in the most detail.

The same applies with food. I know how to prepare a bevy of Mexican dishes - so again, my selection would come from that range of values.

I suppose favorites simply provide an economical way of quickly sharing knowledge and preference with others.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

@Mane I remember an ENTP friend of mine once ranted to me over these things. He also used to bitch often about my personal convictions and passions (kinda like an ENTP ranting over Fi). And I've never since seen a type have so much hate or incomprehension towards Fi.
    So I'm going to guess both your "problems" are an underdeveloped Fi.

(that said, no i don't have problems picking favorites, much the opposite, certain things just seem to instantly become my favorite and i've also noticed that it doesn't change that much over time, it remains pretty consistent, even if i'm not aware of it at a conscious level)