User Tag List

First 3456 Last

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Poimandres View Post
    The site was invented by INTJ Mark Zuckerberg, and also the internet is an easier medium for introverts to communicate than in-person interaction, si I'm going to say Introverts like sites such as Facebook more (and don't forget, introverts are more common on TypoC than extraverts).
    Yeah but for an introvert Zuckerman has not minded a lot of broadcasting of his private life in bios and films, some real indiscretion involved, its part of what I think motivates his pretty radical philosophy of total transparency and full disclosure, the repeated privacy fails on facebook I think reflect that too.

Senior Member Survive & Stay Free's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    9 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Vetani View Post
    I only have facebook to keep in touch with friends overseas... if I had them on my phone I'd delete my account in a heartbeat.
    Awh yes, this is true too, I used to have a bebo account for the same reason and tried to delete it once it was "on the turn" and I never had a myspace account because I think it was always "wrong" to begin with.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    I really like FB because I come off much better socially to have the extended time to respond. I use it differently than most people because I have actual conversations and express longer thoughts. If I quote a pic, I'll add a short paragraph of my own thoughts. My use is more internal, abstract, attempts to start discussions, and is a way to share my inner mind when irl I'm more reticent. It has gotten me very good results with many more people feeling connected to me when I see them. Even though there can be silly aspects to FB, I have come to really appreciate being connected to people when I struggle so much to make that happen face-to-face.
    I just use it for sharing pictures. Once in a while, I'll have a chat with one of my friends and occasionally will comment on pictures they post. Guy friends don't share their inner minds much though . At least my friends don't.

I like the idea of how you use it though. Most of the interaction on Facebook seems completely brain dead. No depth to it.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggly View Post
    I find Facebook to be extremely intimidating to be honest.
    Why?

I like that this is a discussion forum. It encourages thinking and is smaller and filled with introverts. I guess I am just comfortable here. It doesn't seem like a popularity contest either.
    The interaction here is much better. No question that it is much more interesting. The difference is on Facebook, people know who I actually am, which not a lot of people know here. Here, I feel more free to express what I actually think or feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Craic View Post
    Twitter is worse. Why would people announce things in periods of minutes like..

"I'm goin' down the hallway"
    "I stopped"
    "Okay I'm turning left now.."

Yeah. Yea it's great isn't it?!
    Worthless. I completely agree. Don't get it.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

MBTI
    XXFP

I think your perspective is really dependent on how you use it. Some of it is vapid bullshit. However, when you "like" a page then you get updates from them. They should change it to "subscribe."

I get updates on current events and from news stations I "like" or community event organizers, and I get to share them and talk about them with people I actually know.

I find it interesting to hear what other people are up to. I guess I don't really care about every detail of people's lives, but even mundane things are kind of interesting. It opens you up to other perspectives.

More than once I've used facebook to find people I met briefly but didn't get a chance to exchange contact info with and that's been good. Or just see what's going on with that guy I met a few months ago but I'm not going to really talk with.
    Don't know how much it'll bend til it breaks.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by highlander View Post
    The interaction here is much better. No question that it is much more interesting. The difference is on Facebook, people know who I actually am, which not a lot of people know here. Here, I feel more free to express what I actually think or feel.
    Ditto with this, and with FB one particular pleasure I'm not privy to with special-interest forums is the infrequent discovery that someone I know IRL just happens to be into something cool I never knew about/has some expert skill on something I'd never have guessed/etc.
    Those things tend to come out on facebook from time to time.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I just use it for sharing pictures. Once in a while, I'll have a chat with one of my friends and occasionally will comment on pictures they post. Guy friends don't share their inner minds much though . At least my friends don't.

I like the idea of how you use it though. Most of the interaction on Facebook seems completely brain dead. No depth to it.
    Rajah (from here) and I have had some of the best discussions. I've been fairly candid and express my dreams and struggles. Last time I saw the faculty at the U, they all expressed an increased fondness for me. I formerly taught there as an adjunct, but had to resign because the politics made me physically sick. I think my posts about my dream to create a holistic healing center that emphasizes the arts and other such things, were able to reach them. I am also going to compose some cute pieces for a harpist in England who I think is adorable and talented.

I actually don't mind the "like" button because it gives me a chance to show support from someone I don't know well enough to email, message, etc. I've managed to become friends and initiate some musician collaborations through FB. It also gives a way to know that people are doing okay without having to talk on the phone.

I know a kid with Aspbergers who has done much better socially since being on FB.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

Why?

Worthless. I completely agree. Don't get it.
    Yes there's nothing to get. It's fucked.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

Why?
    It seemed like a popularity contest (people pretending to be something more than what they really are) and like you said, brain dead. Or maybe I only saw the pages of shallow, dimwitted people.

Actually my best friend, who I share the same birthday with and who is very extroverted, has described FB as "a lifeline" because she feels that her real life is dull and she gets to socialize a lot on there. One time we traveled somewhere together on our birthday and she spent way too much time on FB because her 800 FB friends (only a fraction of which she knows in real life) kept wishing her Happy Birthday and she had to respond to them all. I couldn't understand why that couldn't wait. She has trouble unplugging from FB. Her SO complains about this too.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sx/so

It seemed like a popularity contest (people pretending to be something more than what they really are) and like you said, brain dead. Or maybe I only saw the pages of shallow, dimwitted people.

Actually my best friend, who I share the same birthday with and who is very extroverted, has described FB as "a lifeline" because she feels that her real life is dull and she gets to socialize a lot on there. One time we traveled somewhere together on our birthday and she spent way too much time on FB because her 800 FB friends (only a fraction of which she knows in real life) kept wishing her Happy Birthday and she had to respond to them all. I couldn't understand why that couldn't wait. She has trouble unplugging from FB. Her SO complains about this too.
    This is one thing that is so annoying about FB and Twitter. People spending time away from real people who are real friends. Seriously? People have to log into a smartphone while could be doing something? Maybe it's just me..I'm the kind of person who thrives on attention.
    "..And the eight and final rule: If this is your first time at Fight Club, you have to fight."
    'Men are meant to be with women. The rest is perversion and mental illness.'

garbage

Kids these days