User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    ENTP

Default Immigrating in the US/AU/CA

Is it possible ? Does anyone know something about this ? I m pretty sure the internet is full of bullcrap regarding this, but I want to know from the people living there, more realistic details.

I've been thinking about moving in another country, because working in Eastern Europe is slavery lol. But the problem is, they gotta speak English, or at least live in an ok climate.

I was wondering if the people from the US are cool with immigrants who just want to have a decent life there I don't know.

What are your thoughts about this ?

Most of the stuff I heard was pretty discouraging, I mean I have a friend who's from Ireland, and his cousins applied for Australia, and they got rejected, and they're like from the UK not a 3rd world country like Romania.

If I could , I would just leave the planet ,but hey I can't do that either.

Anyway

Any advice or anything ?

MBTI
    iSFj
    Enneagram
    2 sx/so

I'm totally cool with it. The U.S. is a melting pot.

...But I'm not an immigration official and know nothing about how that works.

MBTI
    ENTP

I think I ll just go to the embassy and see how it goes from there. wish me luck lol

MBTI
    INTP

If you're legal and can speak English, virtually nobody in the United States is going to be inherently unwelcoming. Chances are good you can even pick a place with a large immigrant population from whichever country you come from.

Now, the customs and immigration bureaucracy, I hear that's kind of bad, but I have no real knowledge about it.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post

Most of the stuff I heard was pretty discouraging, I mean I have a friend who's from Ireland, and his cousins applied for Australia, and they got rejected, and they're like from the UK not a 3rd world country like Romania.

Any advice or anything ?
    The question is not where your friend is from, but rather if he has diplomas, and if the government of these countries feel that they need his competence, or that his presence will improve their society. I can guarantee you that an African guy with a PhD will be immediately accepted in Australia, while a very average Englishman won't.

Anyway. For the US, it's much easier to immigrate there than in Oz or Kiwiland. The American society is harsher and less balanced than the Australian one, but at least its government won't be as picky concerning immigration applicants.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

The US is generally pretty easy to immigrate to. Much easier if you get married to a citizen, but even then it's not hard to obtain a work visa and study for the citizen's test. The websites make it a LOT easier than it used to be, you literally just follow the instructions on the website. The US has a recessed economy, and a lot of crap going on politically, but if you just want to live in a little corner of the world I'd look up cities with good resources for what you're going for (job opportunities, low costs of living, public transportation, etc.) and inquire from there.

I highly suggest visiting all of the places before you make a hard decision, though, if you never been there. You may end up liking Australia more than the US, or the other way around.

There are a lot of downsides to living in the US if you are used to Europe though.. Paying for health care is a big one. A lot of Americans do not get proper health care because the free clinics are insane to use, and paying for it is rather expensive. Getting promoted into higher positions can be pretty tricky sometimes too depending on your job--a lot of people work years at a nearly dead-end job, only to be let go in right-to-work states for no reason at all. Our public services to assist people in times of need are pretty much shit in comparison to other developed countries.. so if you choose the US, be prepared for hard starts and lots of bumps.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

Phantonym

Quote Originally Posted by guesswho View Post
    I think I ll just go to the embassy and see how it goes from there. wish me luck lol
    That seems like a good way of ensuring you never achieve your goal. Expressing definite intent to immigrate is never taken well. You'd be surprised how it might come back to haunt you. So, if I were you, I'd look into things more discreetly at first.

It is possible to immigrate, of course. If you take the effort to get on well with the people and don't want to mooch off of the welfare, you probably won't have issues with being accepted. But you just need to make everything crystal clear for yourself before you take any steps towards immigrating. What is your goal and what are your options to best achieve it.

Since you've narrowed down where you'd most likely want to go, start from there. The internet is actually a good source of information, if you evaluate it critically. Take a look at the official embassy sites for these countries, they list the requirements. Also, check out immigration forums where people with actual experience discuss the hell of immigrating to another country.

You might want to look into the work & travel programs (the US, Australia and Canada all have them, so you'd be able to live and work there from a few months up to a few years or so), or become an exchange student if you're still in school. That way, you could get a feel of what it's like before deciding to settle anywhere.

Going to school in these countries is also a good alternative, but requires quite a hefty investment into tuition and living expenses. Having good credentials (in fields that are desirable, probably science and things like that) might make it easier to immigrate since employers or universities are more willing to spend time to get you to work for them.

Be prepared to spend a lot of time, money and a fraction of your sanity to deal with all the bureaucracy.

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    The US is generally pretty easy to immigrate to. Much easier if you get married to a citizen, but even then it's not hard to obtain a work visa and study for the citizen's test.
    It is my understanding that it is quite the opposite, if you do it the legal way. The US seems to be the strictest when it comes to bureaucracy involved with immigration.

It's true that it can be easier when you get married to a citizen, but it will still take several months up to several years, and thousands of dollars to get the Green Card. Nothing is guaranteed. If it's not through a spouse, obtaining a work visa (basically, Green Card) is nearly impossible unless you have exceptional credentials, extensive work experience and a prospective employer willing to sponsor you. There is also a limit to employment-based visas available every year, so it might be several years before you have a chance to get it.

Honestly, I do not know how some people manage to weasel their way to getting a Green Card and make it seem easy, but if you look at the official requirements that have to be met to even be eligible, and the hoops one has to go through, then it'll make your head spin.

This is a funny read, but unfortunately also quite true:
    http://www.cracked.com/article_18552...tion-hell.html

your resident asshole

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    There are a lot of downsides to living in the US if you are used to Europe though.. Paying for health care is a big one. A lot of Americans do not get proper health care because the free clinics are insane to use, and paying for it is rather expensive. Getting promoted into higher positions can be pretty tricky sometimes too depending on your job--a lot of people work years at a nearly dead-end job, only to be let go in right-to-work states for no reason at all. Our public services to assist people in times of need are pretty much shit in comparison to other developed countries.. so if you choose the US, be prepared for hard starts and lots of bumps.
    Healthcare is a huge issue in the United States, so why aren't more people immigrating to Canada instead? For some reason it doesn't seem to be as popular.

MBTI
    ISTP

One does not simply immigrate to the US. First off, you need a method of entry, and that alone is a labyrinth of bureaucratic processes and legal requirements. It mostly depends on where you're starting from. If you just wanna immigrate, you're in the most unlikely position to succeed.

Here are the methods you can get in and the order of difficulty, from easiest to hardest:

1) Nomination by a government official
    2) Married to a US military service member
    3) Married to a US citizen
    4) Related to a US citizen
    5) Married to a US permanent resident
    6a) Graduate student with professional work experience in the US
    6b) Long-term permanent employee of a US company
    7a) Undergrad student
    7b) Newly hired employee
    8) Citizenship lottery

A lot of people want to become US citizens... you need a way in if you plan on having any chance of success, and even then it's a lot of stress, paperwork, time, and money. Your basic options are family, employer, or school. You can apply for the citizenship lottery too, there is very little guarantee of success doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Healthcare is a huge issue in the United States, so why aren't more people immigrating to Canada instead? For some reason it doesn't seem to be as popular.
    Canadian healthcare is largely misunderstood. They still pay for it through their employer, the only difference is you can get it for free if you're below a certain income level. In the US, the most you can get is state welfare for medication. They do pay a little less as well since it's subsidized by the government, but then again you also pay higher taxes.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Phantonym View Post
    It is my understanding that it is quite the opposite, if you do it the legal way. The US seems to be the strictest when it comes to bureaucracy involved with immigration.

It's true that it can be easier when you get married to a citizen, but it will still take several months up to several years, and thousands of dollars to get the Green Card. Nothing is guaranteed. If it's not through a spouse, obtaining a work visa (basically, Green Card) is nearly impossible unless you have exceptional credentials, extensive work experience and a prospective employer willing to sponsor you. There is also a limit to employment-based visas available every year, so it might be several years before you have a chance to get it.

Honestly, I do not know how some people manage to weasel their way to getting a Green Card and make it seem easy, but if you look at the official requirements that have to be met to even be eligible, and the hoops one has to go through, then it'll make your head spin.

This is a funny read, but unfortunately also quite true:
    http://www.cracked.com/article_18552...tion-hell.html
    My intent was to demonstrate that we DO have a, working, system. Nothing in government is fast, efficient, or flawless.. but it DOES work. It isn't like if I were to try to immigrate to Uganda, or to South America, where lord knows what can go wrong. We have a website, and a legit set up. Nothing that involves a major life change is easy in and of itself, but we've mapped it out for someone wanting to be a citizen fairly well.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Climate, for one. Most people cannot tolerate a year of mostly winter weather.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge