First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    Canada (unsurprising, as I'm planning on actually doing so ), New Zealand, Australia.

A lot of this is language -- I can't imagine how immeasurably more difficult it would be to move to a country where you weren't fluent in the native language. If not for that, I'd also add in Scandinavian countries and potentially more. A lot of this is cultural compatibility -- some culture shock would be inevitable, but there's a big difference between someone say, moving between the western US and western Canada than someone moving from the western US to Nigeria (I have friends who did this on a temporary basis as expats for their employer).

Another factor to consider is how welcoming your new country is to immigrants... some countries that would otherwise be good destinations are (Canada, the US (at least historically)), others aren't.
    This. Those countries also have lower economic inequality, higher social mobility, and decent education systems, afaik, which would give my kids more opportunities in life. They also have better healthcare systems which would be good for all of us, but especially my husband and I since we're not spring chickens anymore. I think the female half of the family could probably pick up a language other than English but the male half might not do so well, so sticking to countries where English is a dominant language would probably work best, especially since our girls are technically grown and could choose not to live with us.

If I thought we had any kind of real chance, I'd seriously consider moving to one of those places without having to do so.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Tempbanned
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Il Morto Che Parla View Post
    Looks fun, better start saving. A friend of mine once paid 2000Euros for a bottle of champagne out there.

Personally, I'd go to Florida or California.
    Been saving since the day I was born.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

When I was young, I always wanted to live in Canada or Germany. Now that I'm in Germany, I've decided to become a European citizen, and then I can basically live wherever I want in Europe. Oh yeahhhhh!!!!

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Somewhere it has not snowed in the last 4 months.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

Canada!
    I really like cats and food.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Considering that Paris is actually the richest alpha+ metropolis on earth, both in total GNP (higher than Switzerland or London), cultural and intellectual opportunities, the one that provides the "best quality of life" in every international rankings (especially compared to places like LA and Tokyo), and the most visited place ever as well (The city of Light is supposed to be the most beautiful one), I'd say I'm slightly surprized none of you considered moving there. And especially when you notice how happy our Parisian American community is (New Yorkers would immediately feel at home here, and vice versa).

Maybe it's the language barrier? Or the way many introverts here hate huge metropolises with a fierce passion and fantasize about absurd, remote, dull and "green" surroundings?
    Are you aware that nowadays, despite the noise and the neons, the cores of huge modern metropolises are often less polluted than most of our countryside? (Bless be Monsanto, the GMO and the contemporary, agro-industry complex!)

Are you afraid to live exactly in the center of the world, to feel its heart beating around you?

-----

If I would have lived during Roman times, I would have picked Rome. Or Alexandria, just to have a chance to cross the path of the likes of Ptolemy, Euclides, Heron or Eratosthenes.

But I live in 2013. And so, I would pick either the USA (for New York or San Francisco only) or China (Shanghaï, Hong Kong and Beijing). Because it's where the future of mankind is thought, invented and tested. Because it's where you can witness all the beauty and all the misery of your fellow men at the same time, their tragedy and their joy, and really feel like a proud member of the human race nonetheless.
    And maybe that also explains why I have already lived in those cities and countries.
    Last edited by Blackmail!; 03-27-2013 at 04:21 PM.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Considering that Paris is actually the richest alpha+ metropolis on earth, both in total GNP (higher than Switzerland or London), cultural and intellectual opportunities, the one that provides the "best quality of life" in every international rankings (especially compared to places like LA and Tokyo), and the most visited place ever as well (The city of Light is supposed to be the most beautifull one), I'd say I'm slightly surprized none of you considered moving there.
    There is a rumour that French people are extremely proud.

It could be that.

Actually there is more to it that crosses my mind.

However to elaborately point those, I would have to spend atleast 5 minutes inside my head which I'm too bored to do right now.

Edit -

Going back to the story of pride, I have a hunch though, going by the stories that they are more nationalistic than ethnicity proud.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Considering that Paris is actually the richest alpha+ metropolis on earth, both in total GNP (higher than Switzerland or London), cultural and intellectual opportunities, the one that provides the "best quality of life" in every international rankings (especially compared to places like LA and Tokyo), and the most visited place ever as well (The city of Light is supposed to be the most beautifull one), I'd say I'm slightly surprized none of you considered moving there. And especially when you notice how happy our Parisian American community is (New Yorkers would immediately feel at home here, and vice versa).
    Well, accomodation in Paris is overpriced (could be argued that it's "fair" but still - very expensive), jobs are not extremely easy to find, and many people don't like to live in very big cities (even if they're less polluted).
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

"Not everyone can bathe in the multitudes: deriving pleasure from the crowd is an art; and he alone can do it who creates an orgy of vitality at the expense of the human race, he who’s been visited in his crib by a fairy who fills him with a taste for dressing up and disguise, a hatred of the home and a passion for travel.

Multitude, solitude: two equal and interchangeable terms for the active and prolific poet. He who doesn’t know how to populate [fill] his solitude doesn’t [won’t] know how to be alone in a bustling crowd either.

The poet enjoys that incomparable privilege that he can be both himself and someone else as he wishes. Like those wandering souls looking for a body, he enters everyone’s [anyone’s ] personality when he wants to. For him alone, everything is empty; and if certain spaces appear closed to him, that’s because to his eyes they’re not worth [the trouble of] inhabiting (being visited).

The solitary, pensive stroller procures (derives) a distinct intoxication from this universal communion. He who easily embraces the crowd knows feverous joys, which the selfish person, sealed like a trunk, will always be denied [deprived of], as will be the idler, shut up like a mollusk. He adopts as his own every profession, every joy and every misery that circumstance presents [to him]."

---Charles Baudelaire

In "crowds", the spleen of Paris (1869)
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

I really love Canada but Australia seems like a similar culture in a lot of ways, if I had to move. Or similarly, New Zealand. Definitely would be somewhere with a health care system similar to Canada's. As a bonus, the weather there seems pretty awesome, too.
    -end of thread-