User Tag List

Thread: Trash value

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Default Trash value

Some things are so ridicule that they end up having more entertainment value than something that's not as bad. There seems to be a niché to be explored.

Instead of working hard to make something remarkably good, it might be more efficient and rewarding to create something that's remarkably bad.

Discuss.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

Trash value is mostly entertainment value. It can be fun; but, hard as he may try, man cannot live on entertainment alone.

So it is a 'good' concept for, say, television, because it is cheap and easy and still pays off. In the end, though, it remains trash. And when you gaze long into a trash can, the trash can also gazes into you.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Trash value is mostly entertainment value. It can be fun; but, hard as he may try, man cannot live on entertainment alone.

So it is a 'good' concept for, say, television, because it is cheap and easy and still pays off. In the end, though, it remains trash. And when you gaze long into a trash can, the trash can also gazes into you.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Indeed. Some people seem to have a pretty high tolerance though.

So it is a 'good' concept for, say, television, because it is cheap and easy and still pays off.
    Yep. I had youtube in mind, also.

In the end, though, it remains trash. And when you gaze long into a trash can, the trash can also gazes into you.

The idea is totally raw, so I have no idea of how to make profit out of it, but it seems doable. One tricky thing is that people who profit from trash value seem to believe that what they sell is medium-high quality, thus generating an irony that is an important variable to the entertainment value.

-----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5 sx

Quote Originally Posted by Rasofy View Post
    Some things are so ridicule that they end up having more entertainment value than something that's not as bad. There seems to be a niché to be explored.

Instead of working hard to make something remarkably good, it might be more efficient and rewarding to create something that's remarkably bad.

Discuss.
    I can see how it would be good as a learning experience, but I wouldn't share the results of my efforts to create something remarkably bad. there's too much shit out there already, and I hate to think of all the artists reveling in their own irony if this became a trend. I prefer a reasonable degree of earnestness in the music, art, t.v., lit, etc. I consume.

this reminds me of something Chuck Klosterman wrote. not directly related, but it's still interesting:

In fact, I’ve spend an inordinate amount of time searching for the underrated value in ostensibly stupid things. I understand Turtle’s motivation and I would have watched Medelin in the theater. I read Mary Worth every day for a decade. I’ve seen Korn in concert three times and liked them once. I went to The Day After Tomorrow on opening night. I own a very expensive robot that doesn’t do anything. I am open to the possibility that everything has metaphorical merit, and I see no point in sardonically attacking the most predictable failures within any culture.