User Tag List

123 Last

Default how was your wedding?

I haven't been to too many weddings but I've been both to traditional (christian-style) and non-traditional.. was it stressful? not stressful? ..

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I think over-planning a wedding and trying to control all the details makes it very stressful... especially when lots of money is involved.

The simpler, the better. Isn't it supposed to be about enjoying the day and not trying to "get everything right?"
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Oberon

My wedding was done on the cheap, and it was an utter blast. I practically had to kidnap my wife out of the reception to go on our honeymoon.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

I haven't had a wedding, but I would really like to just elope. Weddings sound like a huge and expensive pain in the ass.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    INTP

My vote: small intimate wedding / large reception.

MBTI
    ISTx

A cheap and casual-ish wedding sounds best to me. I'd only want a few close friends and family attending. The romance happens on the honeymoon, right? That's where my budget will be focused.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Small and very, very cheap.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Oberon

We found our bridesmaids' dresses at a consignment shop. Our reception was hosted by the volunteer fire department where my father-in-law is still a member... cost us $25 to rent the building for the day. A friend volunteered to play organ. I think the most expensive single item was the catering, which was about a thousand dollars worth of GREAT chow from the Italian deli, served buffet style.

I think, after we counted up all our cash gifts, we actually made money getting married.

MBTI
    INFJ

Small wedding in my in-laws' back yard, somewhat larger reception (50 guests) with great food at a Victorian house we rented for the afternoon.

My in-laws threw us a large Chinese banquet with all their church friends and relatives a month later. I got to wear a traditional pink silk embroidered dress (rented), which was fun. My in-laws handled everything related to that event, which was great.
    Last edited by Jae Rae; 06-23-2008 at 06:28 PM. Reason: made wording clearer
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    INTj

Since we're not religious, we just got married at the courthouse. However, I was still extremely nervous. A couple of months after, we had a reception because my parents really wanted to celebrate with my entire family. The planning didn't stress me out, but being the center of attention certainly did. Other than the first dance and greeting the guests one-by-one as they came in the door, we did our best to lay low.

I honestly can't imagine why people would want a huge elaborate wedding.