First 234

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Now there is a recipe for a happy marriage!
    Seconded!
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP

Well, that and the tearaway pants.

We all got it comin' kid Delilah's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    Seconded!
    Yep!

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Well, that and the tearaway pants.
    Well that goes without saying.

Or no pants at all
    *clinging to my face like a starfish of love* ....... PinkPiranha

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Or no pants at all
    Hey now, my grandmother will probably be there! That's as far as I go. Well, until the wedding night. Then I'll have tearaway boxers.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

We all got it comin' kid Delilah's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by EffEmDoubleyou View Post
    Hey now, my grandmother will probably be there! That's as far as I go. Well, until the wedding night. Then I'll have tearaway boxers.
    I don't recall inviting your Grandma into the janitors closet of the church with us!

You ARE sick!
    *clinging to my face like a starfish of love* ....... PinkPiranha

MBTI
    GONE

I don't mind having a wedding reception and large wedding if the families want it. I've never been attached to the idea of the wedding being 'mine' -- I always thought it would be fun to plan a wedding and play dress up and coordinate all the bridesmaids dresses (turquouise taffeta! ) but that was my love of events planning and dress-up.

Otherwise, weddings are rituals and (semi) public spectacles and people involved with the people getting married probably have more invested in it then the people getting married. I don't begrudge family that. As long as I get to wear the dress I want and hold the bouqet I want and...

Nevermind, I take it back. I'd be pretty picky! Unless I wasn't paying for anything and then -- :shrugs:

I agree with EffEm though, I think a wedding could be very fun. And very validating - you're coming 'out' to the world as a married couple! I think it would kick your relationship up a notch and also be very empowering (I'm thinking about the same sex law in CA)

And if you aren't stressing and you get to invite all your friends and celebrate together it could be like the last day of school or the first barbecue of the year where everyone's just hanging out and having fun. I mean, who doesn't like that feeling??

Otherwise, all the wedding hype is why I posted about the tv show 'Platinum Weddings'. What people spend on weddings can be insane. I'd seriously consider a career in wedding planning, if I just had more experience actually attending them. I've been invited to 2 in my adut life.

If I couldn't have the kind of wedding/reception that I wanted, I'd just get married at city hall, spend the money saved on an awesome honeymoon, and have a vow renewal a few years later.

And maybe I'm uppity, but I just don't like that idea of spending too much money on an uninspired wedding. Go big or elope!
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

I'm definitely a would-be eloper.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ????

Our wedding was traditional and lovely.

No wedding planners involved.
    The wedding wasn't too expensive.
    The diamonds in the ring weren't the biggest ones.

But the money and the sizes of the diamonds are not the issue. The issue is to work in the marriage and to love your spouse. Mutual support is also very important when being married.

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Delilah View Post
    Yep!

Or no pants at all

And don't forget the wittinesses.
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Usehername View Post
    ugh. I want to get married one day. I don't want to have a wedding. Two completely different things.
    I'm definitely with you on this.

My idea of a dream wedding is rolling out a carpet on the ground on an island in the middle of a lake (or the ocean) next to the water in a remote forested location on a cloudy/misty day. The only necessary members of the party are her, me, and God; the minister is optional. No more than three people beyond us, including the minister. Either modestly dressed in relatively-normal clothing for the environment, or nude (less comfortable in multiple ways, but it would be more to say "this is all I am").

Might hold a couple reception type deals afterward at some point, for various groups of people. Basically just social barbecues...
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.