User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w1

I was thrilled, actually. To me, it was the coolest thing that some person, somewhere, managed to capture how and what I thought (almost) exactly.

It really resonated with who I was at the time, too: a weird kid with an odd way of looking at the world. The INTP description allowed for, and even embraced, just that.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    'Someone finally got it right I told myself.'

The magic has left. However from time to time I go back and read some of the descriptions and I cannot help myself from re-living a bit of 'that' delight.
    Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Relief.

I wasn't gorram crazy and from another planet. Others like me existed. And even better, they actually were appreciated for their positive traits as well.
    Both of these. Granted, it was 25 years ago, and I was a teenager, but I'd always felt a bit "out of phase" with my family, expectations of me, and ways of looking at the world (all of my nuclear family are very clear SJ's -- and I'm... not). I was given a copy of Please Understand Me (the original, not "II"), and was shocked to find that so much of the INTP description fit me (and really, there are more than a few points in the INFP/INFJ portfolio of behaviors that fit pretty well too)... I wasn't used to, at all, to any indication that it was "okay" to not fit what I will, somewhat uncharitably (and unfairly) label the "traditional SJ mold". Not that that's a bad thing, necessarily, but seeing *something* that didn't refer to my preferences as "lazy", "unassertive", or "failure" was a bit of a pleasant eye-opener.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Banned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    Will

The first time I took the actual adult test at age 10 I got ISTP and apparently there are quite a few folks on this forum who think I could be that type - damnit being accused of Introverted-Sesnorishness sucks - I can't freaking win!

MBTI
    INtp
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I was mistyped when I first took the MBTI, testing as INTJ and sometimes as ISTJ. I read the INTJ profile and related to alot of it and thought, wow, cool! ISTJ was more of a boring profile but at the time I thought it fit me well. Environmental influences will do that.

Then later when I got more into cognitive functions and took a closer look at the profile, I realized that no type could nail it as well as INTP. There were things in that profile that were so true of me its like it sent shivers down my spine. It was weird reading an INTP profile for the first time. Kind of like, "yep, you're a socially awkward nerd" but you're a highly intelligent person with a unique way of thinking.
    INtp
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Ravenclaw/Hufflepuff
    Neutral Good
    LII-Ne

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Amargith View Post
    Relief.

I wasn't gorram crazy and from another planet. Others like me existed. And even better, they actually were appreciated for their positive traits as well.

...I was actively fighting depression at the time though.
    I felt similarly. I admit I teared up. For the INFP & Fi descriptions & the e4 & e5 descriptions.

However, I tested INTP at first & was upset by the description . The way feeling was presented made it hard for me to identify with any of the feeling types, & the book featured a particularly sacharine description for INFPs (that I still don't relate to much). I felt weirdly "misunderstood" by the test & results because I could identify with some aspects of INTP but it sounded so much colder & more detached than I saw myself or wanted to be. Then years later I started testing INFP or INFJ & the profiles I came across for them both resonated so much more & gave me that sense of "relief".
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

What went through your mind / feel?
    Mbti has made me realize that focusing on my strengths is smarter than trying to fit in.

Enneagram has made me more aware of my needs, fears, and coping mechanisms.

This sounded boring. I'll try to include feelings next time.
    -----------------

A man builds. A parasite asks 'Where is my share?'
    A man creates. A parasite says, 'What will the neighbors think?'
    A man invents. A parasite says, 'Watch out, or you might tread on the toes of God... '

-----------------

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Your MBTI and enneatype types.

This is of course by assuming you were reading the correct type description.
    I was elated by my results. The description seemed very accurate and I found it useful to understand my weaknesses and try to improve them. I am much more confident now that I know myself better and worry a lot less about trying to fit in. I'm much happier and content now than before.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Your MBTI and enneatype types.

This is of course by assuming you were reading the correct type description.
    Enneagram was not so much a revelation as a 'hmm thought so'. It described my state of...mind very well. I've never needed to question my ennea, because...for once it fits so well.

MBTI was nearly a waste of time at first. I got INTJ over and over on tests, yet I couldn't reconcile the description, nor the results. I certainly hadn't been living in an INTJ environment nor did I know enough, if anything, about the theory to really desire the type. Now I know more I have even less reason to do so, nothing against INTJ's but my desires and goals don't lie in that direction or those functions.

However after a bit I started getting INFP and for a long while I was indeed excited by it. Not so sure about descriptions, but at the time I thought it gave some clarity to my constant outsider status growing up. Even my father exclaimed often that...'you're just different'.

But that soon ran it's course, it wasn't really special snowflake syndrome so much as being on the fringe all the time syndrome.

So yes, initially excited and engaged...soon followed by questioning, doubt and eventual disregard once i'd actually taken the time to consider and pick apart the theory a bit more and delve in deeper.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    Enneagram was not so much a revelation as a 'hmm thought so'. It described my state of...mind very well. I've never needed to question my ennea, because...for once it fits so well.

MBTI was nearly a waste of time at first. I got INTJ over and over on tests, yet I couldn't reconcile the description, nor the results. I certainly hadn't been living in an INTJ environment nor did I know enough, if anything, about the theory to really desire the type. Now I know more I have even less reason to do so, nothing against INTJ's but my desires and goals don't lie in that direction or those functions.

However after a bit I started getting INFP and for a long while I was indeed excited by it. Not so sure about descriptions, but at the time I thought it gave some clarity to my constant outsider status growing up. Even my father exclaimed often that...'you're just different'.

But that soon ran it's course, it wasn't really special snowflake syndrome so much as being on the fringe all the time syndrome.

So yes, initially excited and engaged...soon followed by questioning, doubt and eventual disregard once i'd actually taken the time to consider and pick apart the theory a bit more and delve in deeper.
    You might be whatever type Lark 'actually' is. Your posts seem quite alike in style and thought development. Would explain your INTJ testing, too.

MBTI
    INFP

The first time I tested I ended up INFJ, which was inaccurate because I was answering the way I WANTED to be rather than the way I actually am. A few years later I got the official MBTI tool, and came out INFP. The description fit like a glove and my reaction was, "You mean I'm not the only one??!" and a sense of profound relief. It also provided a basis for me to understand just how differently people think, therefore it wasn't just me (or them ) being dense.