User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: second-person plural personal pronouns

6w7 so/sx
    EII Ne

I'm Southern-born with Northern parents. I usually end up saying "you guys" informally and "you all" formally.

Quote Originally Posted by bologna
    I write "y'all" myself, but I rarely [I]say it. I don't know why.
    Lol, I'm the opposite. Sometimes if I'm speaking fast I'll say "y'all", but I almost never write it. It seems too casual for writing.

Like you said, no good answer.

Alchemist of life Array Coriolis's Avatar
    5w6 sp/sx

I generally just say "you", for both singular and plural. If I want to emphasize that I mean everyone in a group, I will specify "all of you" or "everyone", or identify the specific people I mean.
    Hope is the denial of reality. It is the carrot dangled before the draft horse to keep him plodding along in a vain attempt to reach it. We should remove the carrot and walk forward with our eyes open. -- Raistlin Majere

& Badger, Ratty and Toad Array Mole's Avatar
    Second person, be blowed! What gets my goat is being referred to in the third person when I am present. Like when I am present on Central, far too often they go after my goat with the third person.

I cannot WAIT to move up north and force my y'alling upon the masses.

It's such a good word

insert random title here Array Randomnity's Avatar
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Same here. I'd say "you guys" to a female-only group even. "What time do you guys want to meet up?"
    +1. Guys is pretty gender neutral unless context makes it male-specific. The only other acceptable options on that list (around here) are "you" and perhaps "you all" or similar. No non-ironic y'alls allowed. And that y'inz stuff, what in the name of....

edit: oh yeah, "everyone", that's another good one.
    -end of thread-

Senior Member Array Chaotic Harmony's Avatar
    9w1 sx

I'm a y'all kind of gal. But I also say you guys and don't see it as gender specific.

True story: Making copies for a lawyer once... There was a legal document from a case in Texas that was related to the case here... Throughout the entire document if it referred to more than one person they used the word y'all.

I find 'you guys' very, very ugly. You should let it die.

Personally, I do it like Coriolis - just in a better voice.

I also have been known to throw myself in with the group, say "we," because - why not?

Well not every language has a second person plural pronoun. The only thing I can think of right now is Esperanto, which uses the same "you" for both singular and plural. As for non-artificial languages, I don't know any that don't have this.

Never heard of "ye" meaning something other than "yes" for the lazy.

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    I write "y'all" myself, but I rarely say it. I don't know why.
    Yeah I like to write y'all out online, but I don't think I've ever said it in real life. I also like to write "mate," even though I'm from the US and I don't say this out loud either. I wonder how different my writing style is from my speaking style...

Quote Originally Posted by gromit View Post
    Same here. I'd say "you guys" to a female-only group even. "What time do you guys want to meet up?"
    I have always said "guys" to include girls also. It's pretty gender-neutral to me, even though I realize it seems a bit odd.

827 sp/so
    SLE Ti

in the specific area in which I was raised 'you' and 'y'all' were both used with great frequency, however, as the offspring of a teacher and a holder of an english degree, I've tended toward 'you' or 'you guys' (gender regardless) when referring to a group of people

reminds me of the time that a friend (from Maryland) and I decided that we needed to teach my Chicago area roommate how to say y'all... her awkwardness around the word was pretty hilarious
    Human beings make life so interesting. Do you know that in a universe so full of wonders, they have managed to invent boredom? -Terry Pratchett