First 678910 Last

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    Most of them are pretty stupid.
    There were some good points in the article itself.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    Between 2010-2012, I had a slew of health issues where I was sick/hospitalized/stuck in bed, repeatedly. My cat, Jack, who slept with me at night, but liked to do his own thing much of the day, watching birds from the livingroom, insisted on staying in bed with me on the bad days. All day, every day. Or if I were out on the couch & unwell, he'd move from his prized spot by the window and stay right beside my head. [...]

The companionship of a cat or a dog can be deeply rewarding. Just manifests differently. Depends on the people, more than the animal, sometimes. The love of a cat, & cat communication in general, I feel, is far more nuanced, and not necessarily for everyone.

Love is, of course, inherently subjective. To debate about it, or attempt to categorize it, is a bit of a moot point.
    That is so sweet.

This has been my experience with cats, too. Whenever I would cry or was very sick while I was living at my family's home, my family's cat would come sit near me. He has never been much one for lying in your lap or being petted extensively - he was abused as a kitten before being rescued - but he always likes to be around our family, and will hang nearby or lie in the center of the room when we're all together. He always nips my dad after we've been on vacation, which sounds mean but it's kind of a loveable behavior when looked at in the perspective of attachment, because it's clear that the cat is sort of punishing him for having left, and he is always very vocal with meowing and purring and rubbing up against us when we get back. And it's not just because of the food - our cat sitter feeds him plenty. It's affection, but it's expressed more subtly and more independently.

Though, funny aside - ENFP 9w1 so/sp friend of mine is very much a dog person, but agreed to housesit for a family with a cat. Towards the middle of the week, she had been asleep in the bed, but woke up with a start to discover the family's cat perched on her chest with its bright green reflective eyes staring at her in the darkness. She has since declared that cats eat souls and that one was attempting to eat hers.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    I agree with this.

Also I will add that, like children, many dogs infringe on the freedom and independence of others. Not necessarily the freedom of the owners either, even with fines and special bins dog shit is still everywhere.

Besides which I've been attacked a few times by dogs, on every occasion it was unprovoked. One incident a dog nearly tore me to pieces when I was walking to school because "he doesn't like bags" the owner could barely control the dog and it annoyed me that someone would own a pet they can't control. But I suppose that's another issue in itself when it comes to people being fit to own dogs.

Another incident more recently I was attacked outside a pub when a dog comes bounding up to me, ever the idiot, I thought I wouldn't let past experiences hold me back and I let it sniff at me... at which point it decided to latch it's jaws into my leg then my arm. Fortunately the owner made it all better once he had pulled the dog off by reassuring me that: " He does that sometimes " oh well that makes it fucking all OK then, I'll just go get some bandages for the bleeding and some iodine in case of infection.
    Law Enforcement Equipment Solutions: TASER® X2™

I recommend the 2 shot model because it allows you to zap both the dog and the owner.
    1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

i might have said both at some point in my life, but living with a horribly trained yappy dog has solidified CAT for me. dogs are so fucking needy!!! still cute though, and i still think i'd like one of my own someday.

Google "chemtrails" Bush Did 9/11's Avatar
    MBTI
    eNtp
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    γ Ni

I couldn't choose one over the other. Historically, I've owned cats; but I've come to appreciate dogs, too.

Cats are clean and independent. They 'give' more than they 'receive,' since they don't ask for much.

I like dogs' enthusiasm. The ding against them is that they're gross.
    J. Scott Crothers
    aka "Bush Did 9/11"
    Founder, Truthtology, est. 1952
    Prophet and Channel, God Almighty
    Author, the Holy scripture Elevenetics

"Just as jet fuel cannot melt steel beams, so too cannot the unshakeable pillars of Truthtology ever be shaken, whether by man, nature, or evidence."
    - Elevenetics

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jscrothers View Post
    I couldn't choose one over the other. Historically, I've owned cats; but I've come to appreciate dogs, too.

Cats are clean and independent. They 'give' more than they 'receive,' since they don't ask for much.

I like dogs' enthusiasm. The ding against them is that they're gross.
    To be fair I think cats are pretty dirty as well. They're coprophagous just like dogs.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    There were some good points in the article itself.
    Such as? I find it hard to give much credit to an article that thinks the time or domestication or a pet's brain size in and of themselves hold any value. Dogs get a point for being more useful, which they clearly are, but how does that make them better pets? Cat people have little interest in the usefulness of their pet. In short, the categories suck because they are rather arbitrary and far, far from comprehensive.

The article (and the study it refers to) seem less serious than the average BuzzFeed list.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Such as? I find it hard to give much credit to an article that thinks the time or domestication or a pet's brain size in and of themselves hold any value. Dogs get a point for being more useful, which they clearly are, but how does that make them better pets?
    Well, you can do a lot of things with your dog that you can't with your cat outdoors. I have taken my family's dogs not just to the beach but hiking and cross country skiing. They like swimming in the estuary near our country house.

You can probably sense the angle I am taking here. Active people will get much more joy out of a dog than a cat.

I do also believe that if you are looking for affection, dogs win hands down. The article mentions that dogs are better at reading human expressions than cats are. In shorthand, a dog can understand you better, and I can tell that my dogs follow my expressions closely and respond accordingly. Therefore, I see a relationship with a dog as much richer and more rewarding than you could ever hope to achieve with a cat.

Cat people have little interest in the usefulness of their pet. In short, the categories suck because they are rather arbitrary and far, far from comprehensive.
    I fail to understand what you can gain from adding a cat to your home unless you have a rodent problem. Yes, they can be nice to look at, but that is about as far as it goes.

I also have personal gripes with the law here stating that cats need not be registered (unlike dogs), as this allows the destruction of native wildlife on a massive scale around the edges of towns.

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

Cats are low maintenance. Less emotionally needy. Feed them, provide shelter, an occasional tummy to knead with their sharp claws and they're good to go. Dogs are like overbearing, needy girlfriends or boyfriends. That said, I do enjoy my miniature schnauzer's company. She thinks she is a cat because she's spent her life in a house of cats.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    Well, you can do a lot of things with your dog that you can't with your cat outdoors. I have taken my family's dogs not just to the beach but hiking and cross country skiing. They like swimming in the estuary near our country house.

You can probably sense the angle I am taking here. Active people will get much more joy out of a dog than a cat.

I do also believe that if you are looking for affection, dogs win hands down. The article mentions that dogs are better at reading human expressions than cats are. In shorthand, a dog can understand you better, and I can tell that my dogs follow my expressions closely and respond accordingly. Therefore, I see a relationship with a dog as much richer and more rewarding than you could ever hope to achieve with a cat.

I fail to understand what you can gain from adding a cat to your home unless you have a rodent problem. Yes, they can be nice to look at, but that is about as far as it goes.

I also have personal gripes with the law here stating that cats need not be registered (unlike dogs), as this allows the destruction of native wildlife on a massive scale around the edges of towns.
    You're trying to take something that is subjective and make it objective. It doesn't work that way. Cats nor dogs make better pets. For all intents and purposes they are about the same, and it is a matter of what a person seeks to get out of it. Just because dogs are more tangibly useful does not make them superior. The point of having a pet is enjoyment, not utility. If someone likes cats, what they stand to gain is happiness, and in many cases that is what people want when they get a pet.

Even in terms of affection it's not as black and white as you are making it out to be. Dogs usually are more affectionate, but for example I don't like the kind of affection dogs give. I don't care for their behavior. I prefer the kind that one receives from cats.

This discussion has no right or wrong answer, it's nothing more than personal preference, and trying to make it anything beyond that is pointless.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari