"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    This is why I think dogs are for people looking for children, while cats are for people looking for friends.
    Yeah. I think this is true, too. I can't imagine wanting dogs right now in my life - busy enough taking care of myself - but I would appreciate some cat company if my apartment allowed it. I like that with cats you can do your thing and they can do their thing and sometimes you can enjoy things together, but besides putting out food and water they don't NEED you. Whereas maybe someday I'd like to have a dog if I had kids and a standard schedule job and a neighbor who I could pay to dogsit when I go on vacation, but right now that would be way more being tied down than I am ready to handle.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Nicodemus View Post
    This is why I think dogs are for people looking for children, while cats are for people looking for friends. I have no interest in giving guidance to and raise an animal that is as malleable as a dog. Although I know that a dog has no issues with it, it violates my ideal of how sentient being should interact, that is, freely and of their own volition. Much as I would govern people, I would integrate a pet into my home: by setting boundaries and giving them the space to live their lives as they see fit within them.

So I think it has a lot do with one's personality whether one prefers cats, dogs, or neither. Perhaps the Big 5 are just not the best tool to capture the differences.
    I agree with this.

Also I will add that, like children, many dogs infringe on the freedom and independence of others. Not necessarily the freedom of the owners either, even with fines and special bins dog shit is still everywhere.

Besides which I've been attacked a few times by dogs, on every occasion it was unprovoked. One incident a dog nearly tore me to pieces when I was walking to school because "he doesn't like bags" the owner could barely control the dog and it annoyed me that someone would own a pet they can't control. But I suppose that's another issue in itself when it comes to people being fit to own dogs.

Another incident more recently I was attacked outside a pub when a dog comes bounding up to me, ever the idiot, I thought I wouldn't let past experiences hold me back and I let it sniff at me... at which point it decided to latch it's jaws into my leg then my arm. Fortunately the owner made it all better once he had pulled the dog off by reassuring me that: " He does that sometimes " oh well that makes it fucking all OK then, I'll just go get some bandages for the bleeding and some iodine in case of infection.
    'One of (Lucas) Cranach's masterpieces, discussed by (Joseph) Koerner, is in it's self-referentiality the perfect expression of left-hemisphere emptiness and a precursor of post-modernism. There is no longer anything to point to beyond, nothing Other, so it points pointlessly to itself.' - Iain McGilChrist

Suppose a tree fell down, Pooh, when we were underneath it?"
    "Suppose it didn't," said Pooh, after careful thought.
    Piglet was comforted by this.
    - A.A. Milne.

MBTI
    JINX
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Dogs. Gross, needy, neurotic messes.

Cats. . .

In the end, they're both gonna mess up your house.
    At least with a cat, you'll be too paralyzed with warm fuzzy feelings to care/think beyond that.

In all seriousness.. I know dogs are more often associated with loyalty & empathy, but cats do express this sort of bond, as well. It's far more subtle.

Between 2010-2012, I had a slew of health issues where I was sick/hospitalized/stuck in bed, repeatedly. My cat, Jack, who slept with me at night, but liked to do his own thing much of the day, watching birds from the livingroom, insisted on staying in bed with me on the bad days. All day, every day. Or if I were out on the couch & unwell, he'd move from his prized spot by the window and stay right beside my head.

He'd look for me when I'd leave on trips, and greet me whenever I came home. The approach, the rub on my leg, vocalization, the tremble of the upright tail - all his way of saying he was happy to see me. Having 'running dialogue' when we'd pass one another in the house.. I'd talk, he'd meow, rinse/repeat.

The companionship of a cat or a dog can be deeply rewarding. Just manifests differently. Depends on the people, more than the animal, sometimes. The love of a cat, & cat communication in general, I feel, is far more nuanced, and not necessarily for everyone.

Love is, of course, inherently subjective. To debate about it, or attempt to categorize it, is a bit of a moot point.
    03/23 06:06:58 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:06:59 EcK: lex
    03/23 06:21:34 Nancynobullets: LEXXX *sacrifices a first born*
    03/23 06:21:53 Nancynobullets: We summon yooouuu
    03/23 06:29:07 Lexicon: I was sleeping!

04/25 04:20:35 Patches: Don't listen to lex. She wants to birth a litter of kittens. She doesnt get to decide whats creepy

02/16 23:49:38 ygolo: Lex is afk
    02/16 23:49:45 Cimarron: she's doing drugs with Jack

03/05 19:27:41 Time: You can't make chat morbid. Lex does it naturally.

Well, look at the categories...

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Lexicon View Post
    Dogs. Gross, needy, neurotic messes.

Cats. . .

In the end, they're both gonna mess up your house.
    At least with a cat, you'll be too paralyzed with warm fuzzy feelings to care/think beyond that.

In all seriousness.. I know dogs are more often associated with loyalty & empathy, but cats do express this sort of bond, as well. It's far more subtle.

Between 2010-2012, I had a slew of health issues where I was sick/hospitalized/stuck in bed, repeatedly. My cat, Jack, who slept with me at night, but liked to do his own thing much of the day, watching birds from the livingroom, insisted on staying in bed with me on the bad days. All day, every day. Or if I were out on the couch & unwell, he'd move from his prized spot by the window and stay right beside my head.

He'd look for me when I'd leave on trips, and greet me whenever I came home. The approach, the rub on my leg, vocalization, the tremble of the upright tail - all his way of saying he was happy to see me. Having 'running dialogue' when we'd pass one another in the house.. I'd talk, he'd meow, rinse/repeat.

The companionship of a cat or a dog can be deeply rewarding. Just manifests differently. Depends on the people, more than the animal, sometimes. The love of a cat, & cat communication in general, I feel, is far more nuanced, and not necessarily for everyone.

Love is, of course, inherently subjective. To debate about it, or attempt to categorize it, is a bit of a moot point.
    Lovely post, and I totally agree on how you described dogs! Neurotic is the perfect word. Well, that's how I see them anyway. Needy, also need. I do not do well with co-dependency. Get that shiz away from me please.

I was never ill enough around my cat growing up to necessitate this, but there was one day where she had a kitty cold or something, but I could tell she was under the weather. She stayed close with me and I comforted her as much as I could. It was one of those "we understand" moments. Many seem to think that cat's are not able to care. Not true, and you show it. Cats are simply more complex in their behavior, and much more subtle. That's actually one of the things I love about them.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics