• Dogs

23 31.51%
  • Neither

3 4.11%
First 45678 Last

MBTI
    IsFJ

I prefer both as a spectator sport.

(Cats mainly, but some dogs are very cute!)
    Tentative typing: ISFJ 6w5 or 9w1 (Sp/S[?]).

Quote Originally Posted by bologna View Post
    The truth comes out: cat owners are devil worshipers by proxy.
    Witches have their familiars.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Dogs, yep. Cats are air, but always had a stronger bond with canines.
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

I don't dislike cats at all, but in the end I guess I'm just too much of a dog person.

Dogs are just way more interactive and I enjoy playing around with them, in my experience cats tend to get all up in my shit at the wrong time, at least dogs stay on the floor and don't lie down on my hands when Im typing. I've been told that I have a very calming aura that animals enjoy. My parents have a lot of dogs and cats and they usually keep to themselves, but everytime I'm around they dont leave me alone. Waaah!

However do note that I don't give a crap about a lot of dog breeds. I like big intelligent and very active breeds. Big fan of german shepherds.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp

I don't like either in actuality, I'm not an animal person. However if forced to pick I'd pick cats because I like the idea of cats better than that of dogs, dogs seem too slobbery and hyperactive for me, a cat and I would just end up ignoring each other, which would be perfect.
    In that which is night to all things, therein the self-subjugated remains awake; but where all else is awake, that is night for the knower of the self.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I am VERY much a cat person. I want to own one so so so so bad, but I am not at a point in my life where I have the space or means to care for one.

I actually dislike dogs quite a bit. Keep them away for me. I find them to be disrespectful and too friendly.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Permabanned
    MBTI
    N/A
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Probably the most immediately obvious difference between cats and dogs is how much more affectionate dogs are. For example whenever I have been sick, the family dogs (especially our puppy) have paid me a lot of attention and don't want to leave me. Another obvious difference is the versatility of an active dog, they enjoy anything from walks on the beach to days of cross-country skiing, and I enjoy having some company.

I understand why people who aren't active or who dislike having to look after a pet might be drawn to cats, but can't believe that you could ever form much of a bond with one.

And for the record, I don't think that my preference for dogs has anything to do with personality.

Re the study: A 10 - 15% difference in a given trait between groups doesn't mean much.

Nips away your dignity Fluffywolf's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Kullervo View Post
    Probably the most immediately obvious difference between cats and dogs is how much more affectionate dogs are. For example whenever I have been sick, the family dogs (especially our puppy) have paid me a lot of attention and don't want to leave me. Another obvious difference is the versatility of an active dog, they enjoy anything from walks on the beach to days of cross-country skiing, and I enjoy having some company.

I understand why people who aren't active or who dislike having to look after a pet might be drawn to cats, but can't believe that you could ever form much of a bond with one.
    True, although cats can be very affectionate but from a very selfish standpoint, I've known a couple that were. My main issue with cats is that they have no boundaries, they do what they want to do and really dont care how you feel about it. (as long as you treat them properly, of course)

So for me the difference between dogs and cats is that dogs actively look for guidance and need to be raised. While cats take care of that by themselves. So a dog is a companion, while a cat will never be anything more than a freeloader. So the more I think about this, the more I'm in favor of dogs.
    ~Self-depricating Megalomaniacal Superwolf
    Likes Kullervo liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Fluffywolf View Post
    So for me the difference between dogs and cats is that dogs actively look for guidance and need to be raised. While cats take care of that by themselves. So a dog is a companion, while a cat will never be anything more than a freeloader.
    This is why I think dogs are for people looking for children, while cats are for people looking for friends. I have no interest in giving guidance to and raise an animal that is as malleable as a dog. Although I know that a dog has no issues with it, it violates my ideal of how sentient being should interact, that is, freely and of their own volition. Much as I would govern people, I would integrate a pet into my home: by setting boundaries and giving them the space to live their lives as they see fit within them.

So I think it has a lot do with one's personality whether one prefers cats, dogs, or neither. Perhaps the Big 5 are just not the best tool to capture the differences.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I love a cat's ability to be independent, but a dog's to be so loyal. I've met both mean and nice dogs and cats so I could never choose a side, but my cat is one of the most important things in my life.