User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Is your present day life anything like you imagined it would be?

My childhood dreams were really megalomania fed by television and movies, so the early teenager would probably be really disappointed with how things turned out. I was sadly one of those kids whose friends, family and teachers kept telling "you'll be famous someday!" That had a really bad effect in the long run and created standards that I couldn't live up to. It took quite a while to finally root out the fantasy and start forming realistic goals and expectations about life. Thankfully in the process I fell into a career (or two) that have kept me swimming well above the tide. I'm now mostly past that nonsense...
    Ed Womack
    Get Milked

5w4 sp/sx

I had no idea what to expect of adulthood as a kid. I spent my childhood feeling like I understood very little, and then my teenage years feeling lost about where the hell I was going, in a panicky way. My life got pretty derailed by trauma and crisis, and I'm only just starting to get a feel for how things are going to go in the long-term.

I think part of the reason I want to be a teacher is because I want the chance to act as a mentor. I think I'd have benefited a lot from someone realistically laying out my options as a kid, or as a teenager, or even as a college-entrant age young adult, and giving me a stronger idea of what life can offer and some tools for figuring it out. I'm pretty sure a lot of young people could be helped this way, and the system as a whole doesn't offer them anything.
    Rational idealist. Ethical hedonist. Secular humanist. Libertarian centrist. Lawful neutral. Melancholic. Medicated Bipolar I. Cat person. Kuudere. Dark magical girl. Slytherin. Alcoholic milkshake enthusiast.
    Johari | Nohari

The dream to awaken our world.