User Tag List

First 123

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    Here's one I grabbed through a semi-random search:

Sorry, I'm unable to focus on anything but the priest's story...

After the war, Heinrich Himmler had to hide quickly, and found the perfect place. "Nobody will ever suspect a priest of anything", he thought. "If I just gain some weight and grow facial hair, nobody will recognize me." Unfortunately, Himmler had never been able to grow anything but some puny stubble directly under his nose. But Heinrich was a man of resources. He grabbed a piece of charcoal and drew the most exquisite mustache he could think of, just like the one he had envied the people in the local Bierstube of having. It looked like everything he'd ever dreamed of!

Proud of his new, super cool charcoal mustache, he took up the call and started baptizing children, careful never to splash or spill water in his face while doing so.

Edit: He even has the iron cross on the whatchamacallit around his neck.

Last edited by Carebear; 06-13-2007 at 10:13 AM.

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

I'm unable to focus on anything but the fact that she has a pole sprouting from her head, and he has a cross growing from his.

EDIT - And the slope of his right shoulder matches the slope of the candles. It's like he's a Liberace-pirate and the candles are his parrot equivalent.

I... suppose. Yeah!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Do you think the priest is buying the child?

To all Catholics, you do know that the money you put in those baskets with the long rods are just so the priest can afford his high-priced lawyer, right?

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Langrenus View Post
    Lets play Devil's advocate - isn't this an even better reason for you to engage in this activity? Backing away from something because of a weakness (if you'll allow me to call it that) doesn't seem to be challenging enough to me; why not run through the exercise and then stop to reflect on the presuppositions that have emerged?

I feel that your discussion of physiognomy is a red herring; this is an imaginative exercise which is not, as far as I can see, designed to produce any real insight into the lives these people lead or the personalities they hold. Would my preconceptions (which were largely made in jest) hold any sway if I met these people? I can honestly say no, because my story was: a) not serious, and b) not based on any useful/insightful facts. At any rate, merely avoiding typing a direct response to the question doesn't prove that you haven't already engaged in this to some extent - if you saw the picture your subconscious was probably churning out preconceptions, whether you like it or not.

I don't like to see imaginative 'games' of any sort shot down - imagination is one of the greatest qualities humans posses and we would still be swinging in the trees without it (no doubt someone will chip in with evidence of imagination in monkeys/apes, etc - I'm speaking figuratively). It is the tool that allows us to move beyond the past/present and form scenarios, based on which we often make judgements by which we might stand or fall. The greatest minds in history did this on a regular basis.

Your racism theory is an interesting one, but I do wonder how qualified the assumption is; my own experience is that nurture is far more important than typology in the forming of these opinions - which is not to say that children born to racist parents will automatically be racists, or vice versa, but I've definitely noticed a trend. An entirely separate debate, but an interesting one.

</end re-derail>

I'll probably miss my flight for bothering to type this.
    I never said anything about shutting down imagination. Just that I, prefer not to engage in activities like that because they are not conducive to me recognizing what is true about the world.

I don't recommend for everyone to do the same.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

Reigning Bologna Princess Rajah's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    I never said anything about shutting down imagination. Just that I, prefer not to engage in activities like that because they are not conducive to me recognizing what is true about the world.
    I'm confident a healthy number of novelists and artists would assert that getting in touch with your imagination helps you understand the world. And they probably wouldn't be so dismissive, either.

I... suppose. Yeah!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by FMWarner View Post
    The baby is being baptized by Father Dennis, the kind of priest that rode into town in the 70s with a guitar and an idea that Jesus was your friend, not your overlord. Father Dennis is beloved in the community by all but the oldest and stodgiest parishoners, and despite his calling has continued his yearly pilgrimage to Sturgis on his Harley-Davidson.
    This is great stuff.

I do this all the time, Haight. I think ruminating on what MIGHT be true can help a person tease out what IS true. And I have no illusions that what I imagine is factually true about the people I imagine it about, but it points to greater truths about life and humanity (or at least my undestanding of them, limited though it is). Or, at the very least, it's funny to me. Preferably both.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

The woman is nervous but excited. This is her first child, and it was unplanned. The birth control failed but the woman feels morally opposed to abortions so she has decided to make the best of it. She is probably an ISFJ, or an INFJ.

It wouldn't have been the man's first choice to keep the child, but he's fond of the woman and fairly easy-going in general, so he's making the best of it as well. He's going to be a hands-on and playful dad who lets the kids get away with murder, leaving discipline and clean-up to the mom. He is ESTP. And clearly has no sense of style.

The couple is not married and they are unsure about the reaction of the fairly conservative community. They chose this priest to baptise the baby because he has a liberal attitude and was the only one in their medium-size town who didn't seem disapproving.

MBTI
    INTj

"The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    [img]
    That one's just too simple. She and her hippie friends ate far too many shrooms half an hour ago. She's tripping. She's terrified of being molested by the goat/sheep/unicorn behind her and has climbed a tree. Now she feels a bit stupid as she realized she'd forgotten her ability to flap her hands and just fly away. Any second now, she'll lean gently forward, flap her butterfly wings and let the wind carry her to safety.