User Tag List

First 123 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ

We see a wife, her husband and a priest in this picture.

The wife is rather reserved in nature. However, she is the one who takes care the most of the baby. The husband is a good man making an honest living but not quite as mature as his wife. He's going to be good at playing with the baby but not always great at following his obligations.

Both of them weren't entirely convinced at the idea of baptizing their child. After all, is it really necessary? However, the husband's parents are pretty conservative and he followed their ideals. The wife is more open minded but she thought it would still be a good idea to baptize the baby for the community.

The Priest is an extraverted type who is pretty epicurian and likes to enjoy life. He's a good entertainer and is popular for his speeches full of irony and jokes in the community.

Usually, the wife holds the baby. However, the husband thought that for the picture he had to show he was responsible and so took the initiative to take the baby. His wife knows her husband isn't, really, but he's just trying to look good.

All in all, these are nice people who seek to get along with others and do the right thing.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    I do this thing when I'm in public - mostly within my head, but it's fun to do when people are around - where I will pick someone out in a crowd, analyze them, and make up a story about their life based on the way they appear.

I guess this is called "people watching," but it seems a bit different to me.

Anyway . . . I'll put up a picture every once in a while and see if I can do it online.

And, of course, I want you'll to interpret and post your story behind the pictures, as well.

I couldnt do that... I guess I am just concerned too much with what I may presuppose about those people being true..

Some philosophers, like Schopenhauer for instance, thought that you could tell a lot about a person just by their physiognomy... he was certain that we could predict their level of intellect just by that...and he gave a very detailed description of what a face of a genius may look like..

I think this is all a big mistake...those are nothing but intuitive hunches..sometimes they are right on sometimes they are not... its mostly a product of a well developed Ni... this is why so many 'fortune tellers' could just be right on sometimes..

I think this is all a mistake from the beginning anyways..

In the 20th century there was a crimonologist, his name was Lambrosso, who thought that we could get a good scope of one's criminal tendencies based solely on the examination of their physiognomy and subtle facial features... Perhaps they were too subtle to have any consistent meaning... as he later discovered that all the Jews had this one feature that makes it justifiable for us to deem them all highly likely to engage in criminal behavior...no wonder this guy was Hitler's favorite criminologist..

The lesson of this is that we need to be weary of mystical theories..as they place a much higher premium on Intuition than the intellect... yet Intuition is by far more suaded by our whims...our tastes and prejudices than the intellect..simply because it is less objective..and if we do not curb our intuition with our intellect..it may well convince of whatever we want to believe in...

As some INJs on our board are living proof of this..

In short, I think your hobby may make a great exercise for the purposes of cultivation of imagination, yet we can not count on it delivering us accurate information about people that we envision within it. And for this reason, I am unlikely to engage in it, as it tends to have a low potential to be conducive to me discovering what is true.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by BlueWing View Post
    he later discovered that all the Jews had this one feature that makes it justifiable for us to deem them all highly likely to engage in criminal behavior...no wonder this guy was Hitler's favorite criminologist..
    In short, if you participate in this thread, you are a Nazi.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    In short, if you participate in this thread, you are a Nazi.
    It's not my fault that Haight is Jewish, and that he started this thread.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

In the 20th century there was a crimonologist, his name was Lambrosso, who thought that we could get a good scope of one's criminal tendencies based solely on the examination of their physiognomy and subtle facial features... Perhaps they were too subtle to have any consistent meaning... as he later discovered that all the Jews had this one feature that makes it justifiable for us to deem them all highly likely to engage in criminal behavior...no wonder this guy was Hitler's favorite criminologist.
    This children's book published by Herr Streicher is a very good source at explaining this.

So you're saying that an NJ is more likely to have prejudice and stereotypical thinking? Makes sense, though how do you think the SJ types would see this sort of thing? Would an SJ's prejudice be something like "doing it because everyone else does it?"

I always assumed that racists (which are rarer than the media claims) would more likely have an NJ preference and if in a leadership position, that kind of thought would affect the SJ community.

And Artie, fascinating man, wasn't he?

MBTI
    type

Man, howdy--talk about a derail....
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    This children's book published by Herr Streicher is a very good source at explaining this.

So you're saying that an NJ is more likely to have prejudice and stereotypical thinking? Makes sense, though how do you think the SJ types would see this sort of thing? Would an SJ's prejudice be something like "doing it because everyone else does it?"

I always assumed that racists (which are rarer than the media claims) would more likely have an NJ preference and if in a leadership position, that kind of thought would affect the SJ community.

And Artie, fascinating man, wasn't he?
    Could be... as Introverted Perception (Sensing/Intuition) collects information with the mindset of how it relates to the individual. (Introverted functions think of the world in terms of how it relates to them, so they think of how information relates to them)--so they may not be very objective at collecting information and may filter it to their likings.

Though prejudices, I believe, stem from the Extroverted Judgment, not Ni/Si. Ni/Si just give you raw information, it is the Judging functions that make sense of them, and at that point form prejudices. Hence, EJs tend to be more prejudices than IJs. Extroverted Judgment, by nature is change averse, because it thinks of the world in symbols, as Thompson pointed out, symbols that are immutable. Once they think they have discovered something about the world, they think they have discovered a symbol that can not be changed.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INTP

The posture of the woman kinda bugs me. She seems to almost be hiding behind her husband and considers herself secondary or ancillary to him, as if she had no identity outside of him. It's a shame she doesn't realize she is smarter than her husband.

The dude is a chump. Sure, people think he is a really fun and good natured guy, and he likes to think of himself that way, but the fact that his wife is all oppressed, there is something bastardish about him. He looks like a salesman.

The priest, despite his goofy moustache and his being a huge bore, he is a pretty good dood, confident, at least he earnestly means well and he has less issues and is less screwed in the head than the average person.

I couldnt do that... I guess I am just concerned too much with what I may presuppose about those people being true...
    Lets play Devil's advocate - isn't this an even better reason for you to engage in this activity? Backing away from something because of a weakness (if you'll allow me to call it that) doesn't seem to be challenging enough to me; why not run through the exercise and then stop to reflect on the presuppositions that have emerged?

I feel that your discussion of physiognomy is a red herring; this is an imaginative exercise which is not, as far as I can see, designed to produce any real insight into the lives these people lead or the personalities they hold. Would my preconceptions (which were largely made in jest) hold any sway if I met these people? I can honestly say no, because my story was: a) not serious, and b) not based on any useful/insightful facts. At any rate, merely avoiding typing a direct response to the question doesn't prove that you haven't already engaged in this to some extent - if you saw the picture your subconscious was probably churning out preconceptions, whether you like it or not.

I don't like to see imaginative 'games' of any sort shot down - imagination is one of the greatest qualities humans posses and we would still be swinging in the trees without it (no doubt someone will chip in with evidence of imagination in monkeys/apes, etc - I'm speaking figuratively). It is the tool that allows us to move beyond the past/present and form scenarios, based on which we often make judgements by which we might stand or fall. The greatest minds in history did this on a regular basis.

Your racism theory is an interesting one, but I do wonder how qualified the assumption is; my own experience is that nurture is far more important than typology in the forming of these opinions - which is not to say that children born to racist parents will automatically be racists, or vice versa, but I've definitely noticed a trend. An entirely separate debate, but an interesting one.

</end re-derail>

I'll probably miss my flight for bothering to type this.
    January has April's showers
    And 2 and 2 always makes a 5

The parents in the picture, Steve and Rebecca, met as children in rural Utah. They lived on the same block and their fathers were business partners in a Chevy dealership. As children will do, they became fast friends for no other reason than proximity.

As they got older and their personalities developed, they drifted apart. It became clear that Rebecca was bright but socially awkward and Steve was a jock. He was prom king and went to state college on a football scholarship. Rebecca went to state college as well, on an academic scholarship. She pined for a better education, but her father had made some poor investments and couldn't afford it.

After graduation, Steve and Rebecca found themselves in each other's lives again. Steve had taken a job as a salesman at the dealership, and he was good at it. Rebecca had also come back to work there, in management. Her father had suffered a stroke and needed her help, and it was tacitly understood by both partners that Steve did not have the aptitude to eventually run the business. She had agreed to the job with the understanding that in a few years the business would be sold or a replacement would be groomed. She planned to save her money and attend graduate school after her stint at the dealership, and eventually enter the diplomatic service. Rebecca had become more assertive in her adulthood, and she had also become quite an attractive young woman. She had a plan and felt her life was on track.

However, life always follows a crooked path. Steve and Rebecca rekindled their friendship and it evolved into comfortable companionship, if not passionate love. They found comfort in each other's arms. And one day, Rebecca found that she was pregnant. It was over. No more graduate school. No more overseas postings. No more plan. She realized she was going to be staying at the dealership, and consented to marry Steve. They're not happy, but they're not unhappy, at least not yet.

The baby is being baptized by Father Dennis, the kind of priest that rode into town in the 70s with a guitar and an idea that Jesus was your friend, not your overlord. Father Dennis is beloved in the community by all but the oldest and stodgiest parishoners, and despite his calling has continued his yearly pilgrimage to Sturgis on his Harley-Davidson.