User Tag List

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How intelligent do other people see you?

Quote Originally Posted by AffirmitiveAnxiety View Post
    How intelligent are you?
    I don't understand the question, plz explain?
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Array Cellmold's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by phobik View Post
    I don't understand the question, plz explain?
    lol! Good answer.
    "An upsidedown wire heart
    Being sucked into a periscope
    Still the mind is dull
    Like you need another excuse"

… a theory is primarily a form of insight, i.e. a way of looking
    at the world, and not a form of knowledge of how the world is….
    .. all our different ways of thinking are to be considered as
    different ways of looking at the one reality, each with some
    domain in which it is clear and adequate….
    - David Bohm

He pronks, too! Array Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    One sx/sp

People are prone to aggrandizing my intelligence to the point that I find it quite irritating and uncomfortable.

EDIT: In case the answer isn't explicit enough, they see me as more intelligent than I am in spite of that fact that I do think I'm more intelligent than both the mean and median.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

INTP. Type 1>6>5. sx/sp.
    Live and let live will just amount to might makes right

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite Bubble View Post
    Do people see you less, more or as intelligent than you truly are?
    These events happened a long time ago.
    People who graduated from a gymnasium used to wear a white gymnasium cap every May Day.
    It is the students' special day.
    My wife and I wore white caps when we left home. My wife stopped to speak with a neighbour.
    The neighbour asked my wife: Is your husband a graduate from a gymnasium?
    My wife answered affirmatively.
    The neighbour stood there, her mouth wide open.

Another day another neighbour saw me enter a university building. He stopped in his tracks.
    He stood there, his mouth was wide open.

Yet another day I was in Ireland, in a youth hostel. I talked a couple of minutes with a Dane.
    He asked: What do you do?
    I said I am a student.
    He said: You lie. You are not intelligent, I can see that. You are not a student. I am a student!

Paragon Gone Wrong Array OrangeAppled's Avatar
    4w5 sp/sx
    IEI Ni

My grandma always tells me I'm the most beautiful, smartest girl in the whoooole world.

Really though, my family is SF heavy & they seem to think INPs are really smart, so they're always making over me & my INTP uncle.
    However, I've had a friend tell me I can seem like an airhead on the surface because I'm spacey, so I'm not surprised when others are surprised that I'm bookish. In school, I was the "smart girl" & always self-conscious about that, and now it's weird/almost refreshing to not automatically be viewed that way.

Anyway, I think people actually view me as more intelligent than I really am, because they buy into the whole bookishness thing as being a sign of intelligence. It's really just that I have intellectual interests. I do have a somewhat sharp learning curve, but I don't know where the ceiling is.... I used to have better focus, and so it seemed higher, as long as I was determined to keep going & to care. I suspect I'm someone who finds it easy to learn things, but hard to master them.
    "Charlotte sometimes dreams a wall around herself. But it's always with love - So much love it looks like everything else. Charlotte Sometimes - So far away, glass sealed and pretty." - The Cure

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx - 451| RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive

1w2 so/sx

I'm not really sure what most people's impression of my intelligence is. Usually people don't give feedback about that kind of thing, or it's in a context where they like you already, so it's hard to know if their feelings about you affect their impressions of you.

Overall, it's kind of subjective - depends what kinds of intelligence they value, who they spend time with, what matters to them. Most people are incredibly intelligent in spots and less so in others. I think the perception of intelligence is coloured by what areas of expertise are valued by the person in question.

Permabanned Array
    5w6 sp/sx

Well, I'm the one people tend to come to for questions and advice. I just tell them "I don't know" to keep them from taking advantage of me. I guess I'm a bit of a diplomat.

Senior Member Array

I get little feedback either way. Historically I have been told I am smart a lot more than stupid and/or unintelligent but I am not necessarily treated as such. If I am truthfully perceived as intelligent then that probably doesn't extend to being perceived as more reliable or to have better potential than others. I don't receive much respect from others so if they do see me as intelligent then I don't think they let it influence their opinion of me. As I often shake off either opinion unless I feel it is informed or insightful into my inner thought process I usually end up focusing on my own judgment of my abilities (even though I historically have craved the idea of being looked up by others in this regard.)

Honor Thy Inferior Array Such Irony's Avatar
    5w6 sp/so
    LII Ne

I've had my intelligence both underestimated and overestimated by others. It really depends on the person and the circumstances.

For example, some people might underestimate my intelligence because I'm in my head so much that I'm not always aware of what's going on around me. I can be oblivious to certain current events or things going on in pop culture. Also, I'm strongly introverted and I'm not the best at coming up with a well-thought out answer when I'm forced to think quickly on my feet.

On the other hand I've had people think I'm some sort of genius, especially when my area of expertise happens to be in an area the other person knows very little about. For example, I was helping some with some basic word processing stuff and she said "how does anyone possibly learn to do all of that?" I told her that it was from years of using it. To me, there was nothing special about it. Just practice and years and using Microsoft Word.

Overall, on the average, I think I'm perceived as well above average in intelligence but no Einstein.
    5w6 or 9w1 sp/so/sx, I think
    Neutral Good